While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support personnel and logistics are important, especially as you edge closer to present day and beyond. We used to have this solution where we could make abstract orders to cut off this and that or spend this much on supplying operation bongwater and whatever else and trust in the mod to see us through. I wouldn't mind for it to be developed more and replacing humans out of any kind of decision making of that nature. (if only because humans tire and their attention goes all over the place)

Here's the problem.

Take SysNES or CNES. Those who care will optimize extensively, gaining significant in-game advantage and making spreadsheet use mandatory.

How is that different from studying the period, looking for successful economic examples, writing specific stories for targeted bonuses and playing shrewdly? Everything can be optimized. People invest different amounts of time and expect different returns.

How is that different from studying the period, looking for successful economic examples, writing specific stories for targeted bonuses and playing shrewdly? Everything can be optimized. People invest different amounts of time and expect different returns.

1. No model can accurately represent the world.
2. Every model thus has to make approximations and abstractions, as design compromises.
3. Any design compromise can be exploited, in ways the mod did not intend.
4. This leads to gamey choices in play, that optimize to the system and not to the setting.

What population segment of the US actually likes what is being done with the US police?

I'm not sure how to phrase the question, but I'm curious to if there's democratic support for hero complexes, violence on minorities and now apparently weapon proliferation.

Creating enjoyable NESes is a morale boosting influence, I'd imagine. Maybe not to trolls, but without NESes the NESing community would cease to be. Every time I have brought myself back into the community I have contributed meaningfully by running my own NES. Not just spammed the WWW thread like some others.

If moving this thread to the Off-Topic section would decrease the amount of attention the NESing community gives to trolls that do not actually contribute while they complain and troll in this thread, I cannot see a downside.

Moderator Action: Let's also stop the back and forth regarding trolling. If you feel that someone is being a troll, report it. Don't feed it by addressing it publicly, even if in a non-personal or indirect way.

1. No model can accurately represent the world.
2. Every model thus has to make approximations and abstractions, as design compromises.
3. Any design compromise can be exploited, in ways the mod did not intend.
4. This leads to gamey choices in play, that optimize to the system and not to the setting.

Everything is game including people who bring the most unpredictability to the system. How exactly do you optimize to the setting? Increasing fidelity? Reducing the influence and agency of the player? A mod always had prerogative to slap down players with 'random events/chains of normalcy' who were trying to do something nonsensical. Are we trying to build something that can run itself and is self-correcting? (not the free market)

I almost finished reading the entire adventure. So I need to ask people some stuff: You guys prefer we type everything in a chat, or are you all Ok with doing a game by voice? I feel like chatting the adventure would not be as fun as voicing it.

Also how would people feel about 4-5pm IDT (which is UTC+2 so 2-3PM UTC). And considering I need 3-5 people, do we have five interested folks?

I almost finished reading the entire adventure. So I need to ask people some stuff: You guys prefer we type everything in a chat, or are you all Ok with doing a game by voice? I feel like chatting the adventure would not be as fun as voicing it.

Also how would people feel about 4-5pm IDT (which is UTC+2 so 2-3PM UTC). And considering I need 3-5 people, do we have five interested folks?

Rule #1 for running premade adventures: Don't read it like a script.

You can read it like a script if you're good at reading scripts!

(I'm good at reading scripts.)

You can read it like a script if you're good at reading scripts!

(I'm good at reading scripts.)
But do you read it like a script?

lol, conflicting advice...

https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/16385/lost-mine-of-phandelver
That's a link to one of the games I'll run on roll20 with this adventure (I intend to take full advantage of the thing I bought by running this thing several times!). Oh and please don't go to read around and spoiler it for yourself!

Not in that one. This is a test run. On my next game we will design characters and start a brand new adventure.

Suppose you are actually the immortal godlike non-Human entity that has been ruling this nation since time immemorial or the gestalt consciousness of the executive branch of government or the sum total embodiment of the zeitgeist of the nation or whatever (not explicitly defining the player's relation to their "character" is another thing NES has dragged its feet on for literally more than a decade)

Even so, I think a certain silent majority shares this sentiment.

EDIT: As soon as you start railing against the established system of the player's relationship to the country ("gestalt consciousness" "sum of the zeitgeist," whatever) my hand is already against you.

If you would please, define for me what the player's relationship to the player character is in NES, Lord of Elves.
Guess what, Nixon, the data is in and I'm calling you out on your silent majority argument, especially since you couldn't even be bothered to respond to the prompt: numbers say there's no clear consensus as to how people approach their position to their nations. What do you make of that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom