While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
holy CRAP that korra season finale!

:0

i understand there is a lot of this sort of thing

I've only seen three episodes of the season so far and want to binge watch it at some point. :)

Libertarians as far as I know simply look at the entire world as one giant market and states as bad actors in the market, forcing people to trade on the terms of the states. No one in the libertarian movement that I know of would say "buy mcdonald's!", though no one would threaten force on you if you were to buy (what some people call) food from that particular vendor.

And states are the only bad actors, are they? So if you eliminate them entirely, then the market runs at perfect, optimal efficiency all the time? Maximum demand, maximum revenues, maximum wage growth, etc? Because the relationship between labor and capital is so fundamentally equal?

But okay, let's assume there's an all-powerful, all-perfect, six-pack free market hiding beneath the abdomen fat of government. And all we have to do is cut away the gristle and we're good to go. I wonder, where do governments come from? You can rest assured that, in a world with no government, the first thing done would be making one; or necessity, at some point or another, would force a simulacrum.

something something organized greed something something disorganized demos

This came up on the neighborhood social network.

I found it hysterical.

And I thought Mega Slowbro would be the weirdest thing that Nintendo would make this year...

Link to video.

And states are the only bad actors, are they? So if you eliminate them entirely, then the market runs at perfect, optimal efficiency all the time? Maximum demand, maximum revenues, maximum wage growth, etc? Because the relationship between labor and capital is so fundamentally equal?

But okay, let's assume there's an all-powerful, all-perfect, six-pack free market hiding beneath the abdomen fat of government. And all we have to do is cut away the gristle and we're good to go. I wonder, where do governments come from? You can rest assured that, in a world with no government, the first thing done would be making one; or necessity, at some point or another, would force a simulacrum.

Where did I say the only bad actors were governments? They're the biggest bad actors, but I didn't say they were the only ones. Assuming the first thing done is a new government is made, well that's fantastic isn't it? People like yourself who strive for people to tell them what to do or who to trade with and how to trade can opt in, and people like myself would stay opted out.

But let's say the new government formed is in my area, the government would have to either respect my sovereignty over my own property, or to hell with it... I get to live under a new government that would have to respect people's freedoms much more than the governments of today (People just abolished oppressive government) and wouldn't have near all the beaurocracy and garbage that these governments have and would therefore have less ability from the start to oppress. At least at this point there would have been a breath of fresh air.

There are plenty of theories about whether or not another government would be able to start up if the whole population of an area just got done rejecting government and fighting a war to abolish it, and how long that process would take, and how information technology and perhaps insurance policies could prevent new governments from forming, and so forth.

This guy's not perfect, but he links to another video called "Wouldn't warlords take over?" and "Wouldn't other states invade?" if you're truly interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP4f68Va9kA

I'm failing to understand how this is less idealistic/pie in the sky than anarcho-communism.

I have a question, Amon. What exactly do you provide in trade that would make you in any way useful in a society with no government?

Selfies.

Through telecomms that aren't government subsidized.

Through telecomms that aren't government subsidized.

Where do those exist and why would you be able to use them at a reasonable price if your local market was isolated? What do you pay for them with? Barter? Do you give them selfies for bandwidth?

How will mankind have any sort of decent existence without a government pointing guns at us!? It's just so impossibru! DO YOU WANT ME HEAD TO EXPLODE!?!?

I will answer all your questions with the following: If there is a demand for it, the market will provide for it. If our existing telecomms are really what is required to meet demand, it will be there. If it is in excess of demand, the market will adjust, if there is demand for more, the market will adjust. If there is an alternative that would be better, the market will adjust.

Take cars for instance, how fast would we have electic cars if governments weren't protecting the oil and current auto industry? Without a government passing legislation protecting antequated interests, we can have a truly innovative market place, where pretty much anything's possible and without the waste and violence you have with government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom