1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who else really really hates random events?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by The Almighty dF, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I haven't played above mid levels in BTS. Archers on turn 1? Really ? :eek:

Reminds me of Civ I. At least you have the minimum time invested.

2. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

Not quite turn 1: random events are disabled for the first 20 turns, but turn 21 is possible :evil:

3. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Random events as game balancers? An interesting hypothesis... Based on my personal experience , and allowing for chance, I'd say that's plausible. I'll pay more attention and view things from this perspective.

4. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

RAndom events are a good bid of biznass. The potential that here in lies scenarios and mods that are filled with great levels of depth due to a refined random event function. PLease, these things take time to synthize correctly.

5. Stolen Rutters

Stolen Rutters Deity

I get way more positive random events than negative, as events go.

Positive events are more like +1 permanent improvement to a tile, meaning a permanent boost to a city production.
    Negative events are more like buildings destroyed or tile improvements washed out. Negative events are quickly recoverable, if you have production or workers.

Mostly permanent positives, and temporary negatives? I'll take those odds any day.

6. bonscott

bonscott Prince

Bad events are easy to get around, just have some gold in the treasury. Anytime I get a "mine destroyed" or "farm burned down" bad event it only costs something like 28 gold to avoid it actually happening. So try to keep a couple hundred gold in the bank. Big deal.

And I get lots of beneficial ones. Like in my current game I got the Collosium quest, build 7 of them. I already had 5 so I just built 2 more. And because i had the Status of Zues wonder I got a free golden age. Can't beat that!

Or the "people are flocking to your city because of it's great theatre" and get 1 population point. Of if you pay 150 gold you get 4 pop added. Again, just have some extra gold laying around to make the good events even better. And of course if you don't build theaters then you'd never see this event at all.

7. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Thank you.

I'd also like to thank you for providing your wife with the time to share her unique insights into the game . They're always entertaining, and often helpful.

8. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

HA! I actually got barb archer event in a monarch game I started yesterday. I don't know what turn this is, but its on marathon. Here is the screenshot. This was taken at least 1 turn after I spotted them. I first saw them the turn before this one as they 'appeared' on the forested hill to their north. I did not recieve a pop-up though, so I assumed they were someone elses barbs that came for my weak.. tail end.
    As I said, I don't know what turn # this was as I dont know for sure even by the date. Anyone know the turn/year increments for marathon? At any rate, it was a game ender. When I saw them, I started cracking up and took a shot for the funny screenshots thead, I wanted to think of a clever caption but couldn't and forgot about the screeny until I read this thread today.

Spoiler :

9. ori

:hmm: I think you are mistaking someone for my wife :p

10. jimbob27

jimbob27 Emperor

Look in the top right corner of your screen shot. The bit where it says turn 62, 3070bc,........ should give you a pretty big clue :lol:

11. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

In that case, my appollogies to everyone concerned.:blush:

12. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

Doh! lol I was even looking right next to it to spot the date. I haven't had BTS very long. Still a big newb as far as the new features goes. :lol: :blush:

Even so I feel like a dummy now.

13. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Thaks for the correction about the grace period of the events, ori ( I knew there was one, but I couldn't remember the number of turns, so I dramatized a little ;) ). But my point still stands: you can't make a viable defense against 4-5 archers in 21 turns ( with luck you can put 4 warriors in capitol, but that would criple your chances to win ), and ( even worse ), because of the fact that in higher levels the AI get archers right from the bat, the human becomes a magnet for all of the uprisings that happen to everyone ( at least until you can have a better defense than the AI, a thing that can take a while ). I really think that this particular event needs a tweak...

14. MrFrodo

MrFrodo Warlord

I think they did a pretty good job with these. I was expecting to hate them, but in the long run I find the positive events/quests often give me permanent bonuses that I enjoy the rest of the game, while the negative ones usually can be avoided with a few gold or cause temporary, fixable issues.

Of course, there are exceptions. I have yet to get a barbarian invasion on turn 21, but I have gotten one a bit later and actually appreciated the oppurtunity to get experince on some early units (e.g. Immortals).

The worst ones I have had to date was getting my capital's granary destroyed in the early BCs, or another time I got a farm destoyed early on. Those lost me time, and could have been critical in some games.

My favorite is the one where you get a chance for Health and Free Scientist in the closest city. I've had that one a couple times. I also seem to enjoy the Oasis +1 commerce buff quite often. Not much, but cool nevertheless, and does represent a bit of money over a long time.

15. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

There is nothing suspicious about random events.

16. weasel77066

weasel77066 Prince

A most exhilarating moment is in my current game. I struggled through early barbarian outlashes into my territory and finally built the great wall.

So as the diplomatic ties to my celtic neighbors broke down to near war. Tensions rose. Axes sharpened, feelings were bruised. It was the bronze age. An age of inhumanity... and it reflected itself in the brilliant random event that a NON-biased program delivered upon me. A barbarian uprising.

The huns mobilized, raised a stack of 8 horse archers and gathered outside my boundaries. Awfull big wall in front of them, so I watched with delight as they turned west and rode straight into the heart of my enemy. Heads must have rattled after that cause I heard no more lip from the celtic rabble on my borders. Its still not finished. 8 horse archers at that point in the game are still crushing skulls, along with the normal hoards of raging barbarians.

Only praise for the random events so far... (heh) It certainly isnt aimed directly at evening out the player who get ahead! It seems to work in the players favor with astonishing effect.

17. biratets

biratets Chieftain

I guess we'll just have to disagree about this, then.

18. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Prove it. Should be pretty easy to prove if your claims are correct.

19. ori

The good thing is that the code is openly available for you to check, or believe people who have gone through the code, I would phrase it like:
    :p the events have no undocumented bias against the human player in any way.
    But luckily you can disable or mod them if you do suspect the opposite.

20. Mehmed II

Mehmed II Ottoman Empire

I used to like random evevnts, but now I hate those. It's very annoying when mine is destroyed almost every turn or something else.