Why Bernie Sanders should be president

Well Wiki isn't the best reference, author unknown, but this agrees with my eucation, long, long ago:

Go read Smith. You cannot read what he actually wrote and believe that he would be accepting of what we call 'laissez faire' these days.

Pointing out a government's economic mistakes isn't an economist's job?

Then why didn't Sowell do that? Instead he blamed poor black people for the actions of rich white people.

Go read Smith. You cannot read what he actually wrote and believe that he would be accepting of what we call 'laissez faire' these days.
Been there, done that, probable before you were born.

Nobody said he'd accept or not accept present day definition of 'laissez faire', I said "IIRC Smith was for 'Laissez-faire' economics, thinking the individuals would control monopolies through self interest. Later he saw that wasn't working."

If you want to make a federal case of it, go head but I ain't interested.

Blaming government for the mortgage crisis is about the most idiotic thing I've ever read. With no citations or any kind of proof backing up the claims in that article, I can't believe people buy into that garbage.

Blaming government for the mortgage crisis is about the most idiotic thing I've ever read. With no citations or any kind of proof backing up the claims in that article, I can't believe people buy into that garbage.

One function of government is the regulation of the economy to prevent sudden catastrophic change that damages the well being of the citizens. In that regard the mortgage crisis certainly qualifies as a failure.

The government played a big part, especially in the spin up. Programs that were designed to make housing affordable also forced banks to make unsound loans. Still, it was years before the serious abuses got rolling. However the government regulations had established a precedent.

I once wrote up a proposal for a bankruptcy buyout. The centerpiece asset was a rental portfolio. Income from a portion of the properties was pledged to service the loan. There were provisions for how rental default and vacancy were detailed. There was nothing to cover the contingency that it all went south.

A comparison would a storage locker facility. The bank owns the rents to lockers 1-200. If occupancy falls below 80% = 160, the facility will add lockers to bring the total to 160. However. the bank has no provision if the facility itself closes. They own income rights, not real estate rights. This was back in the 1980s, but you can see the seeds of what happened 20 years later.

J

CRA loans were 20-25% of the subprime market, not small, but not out-sized either.

One function of government is the regulation of the economy to prevent sudden catastrophic change that damages the well being of the citizens. In that regard the mortgage crisis certainly qualifies as a failure.

Sorry, I meant citing government as the proximate cause of the crisis was idiotic, not that government inaction was not blameworthy.

No reputable person that has reviewed the evidence has concluded that CSA had any significant impact on the crisis. It's a masturbatory right-wing fantasy. There isn't even evidence that all or most of the CSA loans were even risky. Subprime doesn't necessarily mean risky. It depends on the borrower.

Sorry, I meant citing government as the proximate cause of the crisis was idiotic, not that government inaction was not blameworthy.

No reputable person that has reviewed the evidence has concluded that CSA had any significant impact on the crisis. It's a masturbatory right-wing fantasy. There isn't even evidence that all or most of the CSA loans were even risky. Subprime doesn't necessarily mean risky. It depends on the borrower.

Agreed. Right wing masturbatory fantasies do tend to make for refutations that drift into the disconnected because they are so far out there. No harm done.

Weren't there super amazing interest rates presented to buyers, which increased by quite a bit a couple years after the fact? And people just couldn't afford to pay their mortgage payments after the rates went up, and so on?

Shouldn't that have been regulated and dumped in the garbage by some sort of a federal or state regulatory body? Since none of that happened, wouldn't at least some of the blame lie with the government, which did not do its part in properly regulating the housing market?

So close to winning Iowa! If he was gonna lose that was the way to do it. He should win New Hampshire, but lets not just assume things; he must win there though.

As according to the Ellen video, let the butt-slapping continue onto New Hampshire :D

So close to winning Iowa! If he was gonna lose that was the way to do it. He should win New Hampshire, but lets not just assume things; he must win there though.

As according to the Ellen video, let the butt-slapping continue onto New Hampshire :D

He may have actually won Iowa as well. I read that the results are being investigated and several errors have already been discovered that gave Hillary more delegates than she should have had. Nothing malicious or intentional, mind you, just errors in the vote counting.

He may have actually won Iowa as well. I read that the results are being investigated and several errors have already been discovered that gave Hillary more delegates than she should have had. Nothing malicious or intentional, mind you, just errors in the vote counting.

Switch the results and make it 22-20 Sanders instead of 22-20 Clinton. If those two delegates determine the nominee I will eat my monitor. Sanders understood that reality. I'm surprised at how many of his supporters seemingly don't.

Switch the results and make it 22-20 Sanders instead of 22-20 Clinton. If those two delegates determine the nominee I will eat my monitor. Sanders understood that reality. I'm surprised at how many of his supporters seemingly don't.

True. The errors being discovered in Iowa are pretty minuscule, and there are some results that seem to have given Sanders some extra delegates as well. That's why I say he may have actually won Iowa. But then again, he also may have actually lost by a bigger margin than originally reported. We'll know once the errors have been corrected.

Of course, like you say, it's not going to make that big of a difference, but it never hurts to be accurate and thorough right?

True. The errors being discovered in Iowa are pretty minuscule, and there are some results that seem to have given Sanders some extra delegates as well. That's why I say he may have actually won Iowa. But then again, he also may have actually lost by a bigger margin than originally reported. We'll know once the errors have been corrected.

Of course, like you say, it's not going to make that big of a difference, but it never hurts to be accurate and thorough right?

They have nothing better to do in Iowa until 2020, near as I can make out. Let them pore over every ballot.

They have nothing better to do in Iowa until 2020, near as I can make out. Let them pore over every ballot.

Funny though that they seem to care more about the accurate delegate count for Hillary and Sanders, yet don't seem to be at all worried about the blatant voter fraud committed by Cruz.

Top Bottom