Why is being intelligent not considered "cool?"

Basically as the thread title says why is being smart/intelligent not considered "Cool?"

Only idiots would consider being smart as being uncool.
However I think we can all agree that at a certain age were all idiots, at least to a certain degree. some more than others.

At least, I know I was.

Basically as the thread title says why is being smart/intelligent not considered "Cool?"
I would say that it is always considered good to be intelligent, but being "cool" is IMO to be socially adept. As any other ability you have to devote yourself to become skilled. Perhaps people with a keen intellect don't find it stimulating to pursue this kind of social ability, wich could be a reason why we generally don't see cool intellectuals.

It all dependson what circles you move in. In my part of society being stupid is definitely not cool - and you arent regarded as an adult without at least a degree.

I'm proud of being uncool. I make it a defining characteristic of myself.

Whatever Fifty said about intelligent people people lacking social skills and those that think they're intelligent being conceited and arrogant.

Well I'm Intelligent. 86th percentile on the PSAT.
I also consider myself to be farely cool. Not excesively cool, but I can talk to fairly cool people, and I listen to cool music.

I would say as long as you don't folow those excessive sterotypes listen t the song "White and Nerdy" then you're fine, and it's all a myth.

Coolness is given to people who do dangerous and stupid activities. I didn't want to lower myself to be accepted by idiots.

Because many of those people who describe themselves as intelligent, are spineless geeks, who spend their time on the internet, talking about how stupid people in general are, instead of doing something meaningful with their lives.

Meanwhile their bodies are getting weak, and inside they know that they aren't happy with themselves.

Blazer6 said:
Coolness is given to people who do dangerous and stupid activities. I didn't want to lower myself to be accepted by idiots.

Quoted for truth. Though the stupidest aren't always the coolest.

I'm good in school, and I can talk with "cooler" people. And girls. But you have always smack others with your better results from tests, just to get an evil feeling of euphoria. :lol:

Geeks are never going to enjoy the wonders of being mind-controlled, trend-orientated sheeple.
Do you mind if I use this myself elsewhere?

Coolness is about fitting in with the crowd of people who choose whether you're cool. Intelligent people are more likely to care about work instead of social life (at school), since it's something they're good at, and less likely to fit in with idiots because they already have one trait that sets them apart.

Ok, thats it. New Forum Law. I'm calling Fifty's law, because this is mostly his idea, although I'm going to paraphrase it.

Any disscusion about testing or intelligence will eventually degenerate into self-promotion of how smart they are/stupid other people are, posting their "amazing" test results.

If you're smart, and you're uncool, either you to a) hang out with different people, where what you bring to the table is valued more, or b)improve your social skills.

The only time in my life where being bright wasn't cool might have been my freshman year in High School. After that, as long as you could bring other things to the table (sense of humor, converstaional skills, hygeine), then you could be cool AND smart!!

Truely intelligent people realize that sozialising, small talking about "minor" or "unimportant small things" with other people is as important as sticking to details, questionizing things other people accept without thinking etc. for life.

People, which are experts in their field and have a high IQ but who don´t realize that nitpicking about details or arrogantly correcting other people in a conversation is as much mistake as calculating 2+2=5 , are not really intelligent in my opinion.

Because many of those people who describe themselves as intelligent, are spineless geeks, who spend their time on the internet, talking about how stupid people in general are, instead of doing something meaningful with their lives.

Meanwhile their bodies are getting weak, and inside they know that they aren't happy with themselves.

When your self-esteem is based on your intelligence, it will be there for you your entire life. When your self-esteem is based on your physical prowess you are setting yourself up for a fall, because it will inevitably let you down.

What about Steven Hawking?

General thought to ponder: Think of a dozen people you consider cool, and ask yourself how intelligent they are. Now think of a dozen people you consider smart and ask yourself how cool they are.

Now ask yourself which group is really, deep-down inside where the don't like to talk about, more insecure and unhappy.

I've have contact with many "cool" celebrities as part of my work and you may be surprised how many of them aren't happy at all. Who commits suicide, the cool or the smart? Why?

When your self-esteem is based on your intelligence, it will be there for you your entire life. When your self-esteem is based on your physical prowess you are setting yourself up for a fall, because it will inevitably let you down.

That is rubbish. The mind is just as capable of failing as the body is. Self esteem being lowered because what you can do now isn't equal to what you could do in the past can happen due to a decrease in either mental or physical skills.

Think of a dozen people you consider cool, and ask yourself how intelligent they are. Now think of a dozen people you consider smart and ask yourself how cool they are.

Now ask yourself which group is really, deep-down inside where the don't like to talk about, more insecure and unhappy.

I've have contact with many "cool" celebrities as part of my work and you may be surprised how many of them aren't happy at all. Who commits suicide, the cool or the smart? Why?

It's neither. It's the misfits.

Top Bottom