Why Marines?

Not sure if this have been mentioned, but on average a Marine costs 20,000 less to produce than other service members. It probably has to do with the Marine Corps lacking many specialized areas.

It might be the lack of specialization that makes them commonly used in movies. Army could be a helicopter pilot, predator operater, etc. Navy could be a sailor or flyboy. Airforce could be a forward observer or flyboy. Marine... mostly infantry and direct support. It's the branch that ~= grunt across-the-board. There are some REMFy marines but much fewer than other branches, I guess.

I know the marines have pilots, etc, but I think the percetage of those type stuff to infantrymen is less.

It is very much so, especially since they get so much of their support from the Navy. The Marines, for instance, do not have any chaplains or medical professionals of their own.

That right there is going to increase the average cost of a sailor over a marine, as military nurses and doctors get a lot of bonuses and higher entry level ranks. Its a similar story for nukes, a very expensive specialty the Marines have no equivalent to.

Marines were meant to be shock troops to assault beachheads, survive and achieve the goal. As a whole, they are generally viewed as a higher trained force in comparison with your regular army infantry unit, on par (more or less) with the Army Rangers (another specialized unit).

That is a very fair statement. I have done some joint training with the Rangers @ Ft. Collins & Ft. Lewis, good times. Those guys have my respect.

In Full Metal Jacket or Bolixi Blues, I forget which, they hand out jobs at the end of boot camp - like christmas - so that had me confused too (perhaps was like that long ago, or just a movie drama addition).
Can't vouch for accuracy, but in Full Metal Jacket, they clearly had some say in what job the received. While it seemed like most were just being given the jobs, when Joker is assigned as a journalist it is made clear that it was his choice. Seeming to imply they submitted what they wanted, but there were no guarantees.

Reminds me about Canada in WWII:
In an attempt to get more recruits they promised that volunteers could get whatever specialty they wanted, which of course resulted in many people wanting something with few slots (the big one was something to do with RADAR, I believe). So they were assigned to what they wanted, and immediately reassigned to where the army wanted them (such as artillery) and the men only found out when they arrived at their units, not where they thought they were going.

Now as far as being used for much more than stop-gaps in Iraq, I personally think that has more to do with the army being gutted than anything else.
Well they have done regular army work since WWI, at least, when they weren't needed for any special job, just like the Army would do the Marines job when they were available and Marines weren't.

That is a very fair statement. I have done some joint training with the Rangers @ Ft. Collins & Ft. Lewis, good times. Those guys have my respect.
Marine < Ranger
Marine < Para
Marine ~= 10th Mtn or 101st

Recon Marine ~= Ranger
Recon Marine ~= Para

Para < Ranger

I think we can all agree that
ROK Marines > every other marine but US Marines. Yes?

Marine < Ranger
Marine < Para
Marine ~= 10th Mtn or 101st

Recon Marine ~= Ranger
Recon Marine ~= Para

Para < Ranger

Without saying anything with respect to accuracy, there is a problem with one of the last 3.

I dunno, those somali ones seem to be getting the most press these days.....:mischief:

:lol: Mobby, I actually stared at my monitor for about 15 seconds trying to figure out what the hey you were talking about before it hit me!

Top Bottom