Will religion ever die out?

civver_764

Deity
What do you think? Do you think people will finally get over their superstitions left over from ancient times and religion as a whole will die out(there could still be cults here and there, but for the most part the world becomes Atheist), or do you think faith is a natural aspect of humans and people will always try to use religion to explain things?

I personally feel that the majority of the world will be Atheist in about 50 years(as it already is in a lot of countries), and religion will spiral downwards from there. It will never completely die out, because some people will inevitably believe just because.

What do you think?

No. Too many people need it in their lives. If one religion died, they'd have to come up with something to replace it.

No. One thing will replace the other. Science is a religion to most people anyway nowadays who don't know science. It will always be so, the educated hold the true knowledge while the ignorant and apathetic may cling to it without knowing what it truly is. How many times do you see people blather on about evolution who know nothing about it or think science in general is basically magic that can do anything.

Nope, it never will. It will keep on going and going.

people will probably still say they're religious in the future just to make themselves sound deep. even as mainstream religions gradually get whittled down from hardcore ultra-retro evolution-denying life styles to rinky-dinky all-inclusive spiritual clubs, i think religion will still exist in the foreseeable future, just because people are so vain.

No, it won't ever die out. And not just for the reason of it being right. ;)

A lot of people require religion as part of their lives, or require some form of explanation of things. So as long as people exist, religion will.

I doubt it.

Even if science was able to answer all the deep questions about reality (why are we here?, who are we?, what is our purpose?, etc.), there would be people out there who ignore all the answers and insist on their own religion-based answers to these questions.

Look at creationists. We've figured out where humanity came from (theory of evolution), and yet there are millions of Muslims and Christians who believe that we were created by God 6,000 years ago instead.

You'll see the same thing if/when the other big questions get answered. And if they never get answered - we'll have religion for sure.

The only 3 scenarios I can see religion totally dying out in are as follows:

1. God reveals himself and disproves all existing religions somehow, insists that he does not wish to be worshiped and that organized religion is a waste of time

2. The human species evolves (not necessarily biologically) to some sort of enlightened state, which allows everyone to see past all the bs (I'm an atheist, so by definition I assume that all religion is bs. Please do not be offended. If you are an adherent of a religion, *you* assume that all the *other* religions are bs. same thing)

3. Some sort of a world government (dictatorship?) takes over and banishes religion forever

So unless one of the above 3 happens, we'll slowly be less and less religious in the west, over time. The rest of the world, who knows.

3. Some sort of a world government (dictatorship?) takes over and banishes religion forever

If that ever happens, you'd expect to see a lot and a lot of people rebelling against that by infringing on there rights to worship as they please.

Seeing as how God exists and the rapture will eventually occur, I kinda doubt it.

Seeing as how God exists and the rapture will eventually occur, I kinda doubt it.
Scientist have discovered when the Rapture would happen...

...the day the universe collapse into itself.

Nah in like 10 million years when we are so advanced we don't even have physical bodies and are uploaded onto computers we won't.

Top Bottom