World Wonder Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Ben - 27
Colosseum – 35
Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 6 (5+1): Usually the 2nd choice after Pyramid, even more priority than Pyramid in cultural victory. With Pingala combo, it can provide 6 times of GPP(mostly scientists, writers and merchants) of 1 city in very early time, much better than 5 more settlers cost. And if you're lucky enough to get Harvest, you'll save lot of faith on some key GPs which AI will soon get.
Pyramids - 30
Temple of Artemis - 22 (25-3): Comparing to Colosseum, it doesn't provide culture, less amenities, low range, and most bonus resources will be harvested in R&F by efficient play. As an ancient wonder, It's hard to build Pyramid/Oracle and still have time/trees to build it - at least in an efficient peaceful game there is no place for it. Among ancient wonders, Colossus was better than it for an extra trader/route, at least few AI build it.

Last edited:
Big Ben - 28 = 27 + 1. An economic policy plus a lot of gold is really good. It comes in the industrial era which is still early enough to be useful.
Colosseum – 35
Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 6
Pyramids - 30
Temple of Artemis - 19 = 22 - 3. Requires a huge investment early in the game and tends to be difficult to get on higher difficulties. Oracle & The Pyramids tend to be easier to get.

New
Big Ben - 25 (28 - 3) - With R&F Emergency payouts, cash in late game isn't needed. I find that I'm looking for things to buy. Granted, the extra policy slot is very nice but this classifies as late game to me which also means that it's completely unnecessary.
Colosseum – 35
Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 6
Pyramids - 30
Temple of Artemis - 20 - (19+1) - Huge investment is a stretch. It's tied with Hanging Gardens and Stonehenge as the cheapest wonder in the game and arguably much more useful than those two. I usually build this with a single chop and let it sit.. unless I start late then I do two (sometimes 3) chops to drive it home.

New
Big Ben - 25
Colosseum – 35
Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 3=6-3 Shall be eliminated much earlier
Pyramids - 31=30+1
Temple of Artemis - 20

Moderator Action: Please provide a reason for your choice of Pyramids. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Ben - 25
Colosseum - 32 (35-3) If Trajan (or any other AI) keeps stealing it from us all.. doesn't mean we should or must! I just hate counting 6 silly tiles away from the spot for whatever optimal Amenity counts. ;)
Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 3
Pyramids - 32 (31+1) Really deserves a fundamental tie with Colosseum at least.
Temple of Artemis - 20

PS.. as we are getting close to final results, i'd like to share a cool ODS spreadsheet (WIP!) about such Wonder-Racing tricks. I'll probably post this file and snapshots somewhere in CF guides thread once everything is ready!

Attachments

• Wonders-Race(Template4).zip
    310.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Big Ben – 22 (25-3) --- Not do I have to build the thing, which always seems to drag on and on. But I have to save a bunch of gold in hopes of building it, paying opportunity costs (like buying district buildings) while it’s being built, and but once I do double my money, I now have 2 or 3 spaceports to protect against saboteurs which limits my ability to use spies to steal ALLOT of late game gold w/ a 90% success rate. That’s assuming the AI favorite wonder isn’t built out from under me.
Colosseum – 33 (32+1) --- Culture / amenities / lux sales gold / buildable around turn 100 / almost always succeed in building before AI no matter the level.

Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 3
Pyramids - 32

Temple of Artemis dropped.

Big Ben - 22
Colosseum - 33-3=30 - Its benefits are sure great, but it has a strike for requiring me to build a district I don't usually build so early.
Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 3
Pyramids - 32+1=33 - Comes in the first era, requires only one useless desert tile. Liang works for one city and that policy comes in Medieval era. It's always better to have +1 charge with Pyramids than not having it.
Temple of Artemis - 20

Big Ben - 22-3 = 10 Too late.
Colosseum - 30+1 = 31 Makes the amenity problem go away.
Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 3
Pyramids - 33
Temple of Artemis - 20

Big Ben - 19
Colosseum - 31
Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 3 - 3 *eliminated* - Not a wonder I like to build + worse than all the others in this list.
Pyramids - 33
Temple of Artemis - 20 +1, cheap, fuels amenities and expansion for a good while.

Big Ben - 19-3 = 16 on deity, I rarely am able to build this wonder. Maybe with Korea, but in vast majority of games, AI will rush it and it is very difficult to beat them to it. Anyway, it is mainly for the gold, which isn't of much value at that point in the game.
Colosseum - 31
Forbidden City - 26
Pyramids - 33
Temple of Artemis - 21 + 1 = 22 Since Oracle was taken out before I finished reaponding, I think ToA is next best. In most Deity games I play, it is not very difficult to get both this and Oracle, because the AI doesn't prioritize them vs like Stonehenge or Hanging Gardens. As long as you can start on ToA by like turn 25, you will usually get it. It will generally result in that city growing massive early on in the game which is big in the loyalty system. Colluseum is wonderful but comes after the first 100 turns (which makes it less effective in long run). If I could chose one of those two to start with I would always choose ToA due to how massive the growth boost is to the capital and can make it so anyone who forward settles will just get flipped.

Last edited:
Big Ben - 16-3 = 13 (At this point the other wonders just have more powerful bonuses.)
Colosseum - 31
Forbidden City - 26
Pyramids - 33 + 1 = 34 (Can get a lot of additional builder charges over the course of the game, and it stacks with other bonuses.)
Temple of Artemis - 21

Big Ben - 14 (13+1) better than forbidden city IMO because of all the cash you can get
Colosseum - 31
Forbidden City - 26
Pyramids - 34
Temple of Artemis - 18 (21-3) a very nice wonder that I finally built for the first time in my current game, but the weakest of the remaining.

Big Ben - 14
Colosseum - 31
Forbidden City - 26
Pyramids - 35 (34 + 1) - The free builder, and the fact that it adds the extra charge to existing builders, is very powerful since you get them so early
Temple of Artemis - 15 (18-3) - I agree with WillowBrook, it's a great wonder but I think the remaining ones are stronger, and are usually easier to build too

Big Ben - 14
Colosseum - 31
Forbidden City - 27 (26+1) Still my favorite wonder!
Pyramids - 35
Temple of Artemis - 12 (15-3) It's really hard to vote against any of these. I guess this gets my vote because there's a greater chance it won't do any good for you than the others.

Big Ben - 14
Colosseum - 32 (31 + 2) Gives lot of culture if you have 4-6 cities in it's radius, it doesn't require a terrain which you don't often get unlike the pyramids, plus you can get it fairly easily. Oh, and did I mention the amenities?
Forbidden City - 27
Pyramids - 32 (35 - 3) Lhang and Feudalism makes this wonder totally unnecessary, plus how often do you start on desert tiles? I prefer Petra over this outdated wonder.
Temple of Artemis - 12

Big Ben - 11 (14 - 3) agree with others there are plenty of other ways to get more than enough gold to buy a spaceport or upgrade your units. Solves a nonexistent issue
Colosseum - 32
Forbidden City - 28 (27+1) I would prefer the free wildcard slot over most of these benefits. It comes later but can help to any victory type.
Pyramids - 32
Temple of Artemis - 12

Big Ben - 12 (11 + 1) I'd definitely rate this over forbidden city. A wild card policy slot is strictly better than an economic one, but it's rarely better than an economic one and doubled gold.
Colosseum - 32
Forbidden City - 28
Pyramids - 29 (32 - 3) Having it is pretty much always an advantage, but not nearly as big an advantage as the other remaining wonders provide.
Temple of Artemis - 12

Big Ben - 13 (12+1) I keep going to say, the combination of the two powerful bonuses of this wonder makes it probably the best of the game.
Colosseum - 32
Forbidden City - 28
Pyramids - 26 (29-3) Without doubt, it's a powerful wonder. But this was stronger in the base game, but after R&F, with Liang already giving an extra charge to workers, makes this wonder no longer as relevant as before.
Temple of Artemis - 12

Big Ben - 13
Colosseum - 33 = (32+1) I don't really understand the arguments that this has difficult placement requirements. Everything about it is completely under your control. You choose where to found your cities, and where to place the entertainment complex. You don't have to depend on the map generating a nice spot for you. If using up a desert tile is a high priority, feel free to put the Colosseum, or the entertainment complex on a desert, you're absolutely free to.
Forbidden City - 28
Pyramids - 23 = (26-3) Actually, requiring something so simple as a desert tile is a bad thing. In any game with a reasonable number of players you can be sure that someone has a desert tile. Competition for this wonder is guaranteed, whereas the Colosseum, requiring just a little bit of forethought, puts it outside the reach of the AI (and some humans!) for a long stretch of time.
Temple of Artemis - 12

Big Ben - 13
Colosseum - 33
Forbidden City - 28
Pyramids - 20 (23-3) Top 5 seems reasonable, but no better than that. Gives a benefit early, which is good, but of little value once you have Feudalism, as getting 7 charges for the cost of 6 on all your remaining builders just doesn't amount to much of a savings compared to your gold inflow at that time.
Temple of Artemis - 13 (12 + 1) The only one of the others that I haven't previously upvoted, so will do so now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom