World Wonder Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Ben - 31
Casa de Contratacion - 6-3=3 - I think it's time for this to go. It's usefullness also depends on how large your Empire is, and I'm not fan of wide play.
Colosseum – 34
Forbidden City - 35
Oracle – 23
Pyramids - 32+1=33 - Qin Shi Huang + Pyramids + Serfdom/Public Works + Liang = Superbuilders.
Temple of Artemis – 25

Big Ben - 32 (31+1) Too many advantages gained with that much (relatively) extra Gold -- at that precise time.
Casa de Contratacion - 3
Colosseum - 34
Forbidden City - 32 (35-3) If only that wildcard slot could be rationally worth 920 once Renaissance is over while some Victory types are now getting more focused & obvious.
Oracle - 23
Pyramids - 33
Temple of Artemis - 25

Big Ben - 33 (32+1) Double treasury is strong, one extra economic policy slot is strong. Strong + Strong = Double Strong. This is probably the best wonder.
Casa de Contratacion - Eliminated (3-3) I've already given uptoves to this, but this is the weakest wonder remaining.
Colosseum - 34
Forbidden City - 32
Oracle - 23
Pyramids - 33
Temple of Artemis - 25

Big Ben - 33
Colosseum – 35 (34+1) --- Culture, amenities, gold from lux sales.
Forbidden City – 29 (32-3) --- An extra wildcard is nice and all, but 920 production is a considerable outlay at this period. Better to take from the AI, or simply do without.

Oracle - 23
Pyramids - 33
Temple of Artemis - 25

Big Ben - 34=33+1. Even though this wonder comes late as well, it has the right kind of effect for late game. Particularly with the Emergencies, this Wonder can consistently net you around 10k Gold, worth a Spaceport with Reyna and ~10 Builders to finish ~3 Science Victory projects. The extra Economic card is nice, but actually doesnt have anything to do with the strength of this Wonder.
Colosseum – 35.
Forbidden City – 26= 29-3 This wonder is OK, but terribly overvalued. Extra Policy slot gives long term benefits, but this Wonder comes in the late game.

Oracle - 23
Pyramids - 33
Temple of Artemis - 25

Big Ben - 33
Colosseum – 35
Forbidden City – 26 (29-3) - As mentioned, super high production when you are trying to get T2 victory buildings in place. Fine if you buy the building in the city, otherwise you are delaying.
Oracle - 23
Pyramids - 33
Temple of Artemis - 26 (25+1) - Deserves to be in the Top 3 IMO. You could argue that it can't be built if you don't have camps but the same terrain type requirements can be said about Pyramids.

Big Ben - 34
Colosseum – 35
Forbidden City - 24 (23+1) Still the strongest wonder in the game, and it's even better if someone else spends the hammers for you.
Oracle – 20 (23-3) I find the AI usually builds this somewhere it's hard to get any real use out of.

Pyramids - 33
Temple of Artemis - 26

edit: whoops simultaneous posts

edit 2: I believe this is correct now.

Last edited:
Big Ben - 34
Colosseum – 36 = 35 + 1. The requirements for this one is easy for a human to manage, but not so much for the AI, meaning this wonder is usually available for a while. And the bonuses are great and stays relevant for all the game.
Forbidden City - 24
Oracle – 17 = 20-3 - So early that it's difficult to spare the hammers to build this one, considering you typically only have a few cities.
Pyramids - 33
Temple of Artemis - 26

Big Ben - 35 (34+1) Still probably the only decisive late game wonder to me.
Colosseum – 36
Forbidden City - 24
Oracle – 17
Pyramids - 33
Temple of Artemis - 23 (26-3) It's strong but has a high opportunity cost being so early.

Big Ben - 35
Colosseum – 37 = (36+1) Colosseum all the way. It puts you off to such a great start. The extra culture is as big of a benefit as the extra amenities and it's so easy to grab from the AI. It's basically a sure thing for any leader and any difficulty.
Forbidden City - 24
Oracle – 17
Pyramids - 30 = (33-3) Super builders are a lot of fun, but +1 charge gives diminishing returns when you have so many options available to you. The Pyramids is a fairly expensive way to get that extra charge. The benefit of extra charges is equal to the number of extra builders you save over the length of the game. The more charges you have the fewer builders each additional charge saves you.
Temple of Artemis - 23

Big Ben - 35-3= 32 Too late, most games are over by then.
Colosseum – 37
Forbidden City - 24
Oracle – 17
Pyramids - 30+1 = 31 Agree with Kimilmaro on this.
Temple of Artemis - 23

Big Ben - 29 (32 - 3) high opportunity cost and as others have said late game. I need to spend my gold I can't wait all game for this thing. I would rather have the wildcard from forbidden city than a econ.
Colosseum – 37
Forbidden City - 25 (24 + 1) i almost always build this, potential for stacking cards like triangular trade and the other route enhancers with other trade buffs is huge. Or you can always run public works or it's earlier version, will probably net you as many build charges as the pyramids would have in that case.
Oracle – 17
Pyramids - 31
Temple of Artemis - 23

Big Ben - 29
Colosseum – 37
Forbidden City - 25
Oracle – 17
Pyramids - 28 (31 - 3) Of the remaining wonders, this is the one whose effect is smallest compared to comparable bonuses from other sources (like policy cards).
Temple of Artemis - 24 (23 + 1) More amenities than the Colosseum with easier prerequisites.

Big Ben - 29
Colosseum – 37
Forbidden City - 25
Oracle – 17 - 3 = 14 (It's a good wonder for sure but I have many games where I don't even have a pantheon by the time its built let alone enough faith to purchase great people)
Pyramids - 28 + 1 = 29 (Still have to go with Pyramids - it's not the most exciting wonder, just the best one)
Temple of Artemis - 24

Big Ben - 29
Colosseum – 37
Forbidden City - 25
Oracle – 11 (14-3) Weakest of these six.
Pyramids - 30 (29+1) Useful in the widest range of circumstances.
Temple of Artemis - 24

Big Ben - 29
Colosseum – 37
Forbidden City - 26 (25 + 1) - While Big Ben has much better side effects (+gold, +GM points, double treasury) and this one gives only +culture, the wildcard slot is ALWAYS better than an economic slot. Why? Because wildcard is also economic. Or diplomatic. Or anything else. Those are the most powerful policy slots in the game.
Oracle – 8 (11 - 3) - Comes too early, I think I've never built this one. And the bonuses aren't so strong... Well, in the time when you build the wonder, maybe yes. But later when you have multiple cities and gain a lot of GP points, then +2 in only one city isn't that great.
Pyramids - 30
Temple of Artemis - 24

Big Ben - 26 (29-3) I rather have the wonders below. It comes too late and I never save money to make the double money worthwile
Colosseum – 37
Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 8
Pyramids - 30
Temple of Artemis - 25 (24+1) My must build wonder. Amanities, but most importantly free food so you can work production tiles only! And the wonder comes early so the effect snowballs

Big Ben - 27 (26+1) - Still my pick for best wonder. Not only can it have huge direct impact, it also offers something you can't get by other means, namely an extra policy slot.
Colosseum – 34 (37-3) - It's getting hard to pick something, but I'm taking Colosseum because I think that among those remaining, its benefits are the least unique, plus it has the most difficult placing conditions. It might be I undervalue the ameneties, but unhappiness doesn't strike me as being as penalizing in this game as it ought to be.
Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 8
Pyramids - 30
Temple of Artemis - 25

the wildcard slot is ALWAYS better than an economic slot. Why? Because wildcard is also economic. Or diplomatic. Or anything else. Those are the most powerful policy slots in the game.
Just a word on this: The wildcard slot is not always better than the economic slot. In fact, the wildcard slot is only better than the economic slot if you use ALL your current wildcard slots on non-economic cards AND want to run more non-economic cards. How often does that happen to you? I can't say the answer for everybody, but for me, 99 % of my game time (litereally) I run at least one economic card in my wildcards once I reach T2 governments and onwards.

Just a word on this: The wildcard slot is not always better than the economic slot. In fact, the wildcard slot is only better than the economic slot if you use ALL your current wildcard slots on non-economic cards AND want to run more non-economic cards. How often does that happen to you? I can't say the answer for everybody, but for me, 99 % of my game time (litereally) I run at least one economic card in my wildcards once I reach T2 governments and onwards.

@kaspergm dropping gems! (except the part about the Colosseum, which is the best wonder)

Big Ben - 27
Colosseum – 35 (34+1): this one is really good and comes not too early, not too late. Though I do not think how easy it is to get from the AI should factor into the rankings
Forbidden City - 26
Oracle - 5 (8-3): Huge opportunity cost because it comes so early and does not pay off immediately and in a big way like the Temple of Artemis
Pyramids - 30
Temple of Artemis - 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom