Really enjoying the mod. Hadn't played Colonization in years but got it the other day on Steam for $7. Downloaded this mod and I'm *hooked*. It is soooo much better than vanilla, wow!

Anyway, wanted to ask about the Native Trader. I can't figure out how it's supposed to work, halp? In my mind it should work by having the unit go into a native village and be presented with an option analogous to the "live among natives".

Also, could just be that I haven't rebooted in many hours but I seem to have lost the ability to click on a map to take me to that location. Clicking, double-clicking... nothing. Have to manually scroll. Is there a shortcut to make jumping around the map any faster?

Anyway, wanted to ask about the Native Trader. I can't figure out how it's supposed to work, halp? In my mind it should work by having the unit go into a native village and be presented with an option analogous to the "live among natives".
Aye, it works just like that. It's "establish trade mission" or something like that. If it's not working, maybe you have an expert native trader in colonist profession somehow. You need to equip it with trade goods in a colony to get the native trader profession.

Also, could just be that I haven't rebooted in many hours but I seem to have lost the ability to click on a map to take me to that location. Clicking, double-clicking... nothing. Have to manually scroll. Is there a shortcut to make jumping around the map any faster?
Left clicking works for me, on the map or mini-globe. x centers on a unit.

Is there a good realistic world map to use with 2.8.2?

I tried Scenarios RAR Americas Huge - random. Played for awhile... didn't find any other Europeans with my scouts. Played some more... couldn't find Europeans with a privateer. Opened world builder... and there are no other Europeans.

Is there a good realistic world map to use with 2.8.2?

I tried Scenarios RAR Americas Huge - random. Played for awhile... didn't find any other Europeans with my scouts. Played some more... couldn't find Europeans with a privateer. Opened world builder... and there are no other Europeans.
Be sure the other Europeans are included when you start the game in the lobby. It can easily happen if you start the game as a multiplayer game or you remove some of your opponents.

Maybe a Vanilla question, but anyway.
Trade Points:
'You will most likely earn the majority of your Trade Points by selling Goods to Europe, Africa, Port Royal, your Fellow Europeans or the Natives.' (Colopedia)
Does it matter how much profit you gonna make?
In other words, is Good value taken into account, or just the number of Goods?
Also, Goods sold on your local markets are not considered for getting Trading Points?

Maybe a Vanilla question, but anyway.
Trade Points:
'You will most likely earn the majority of your Trade Points by selling Goods to Europe, Africa, Port Royal, your Fellow Europeans or the Natives.' (Colopedia)
Does it matter how much profit you gonna make?
In other words, is Good value taken into account, or just the number of Goods?
Also, Goods sold on your local markets are not considered for getting Trading Points?
Looks to me like it's based on the amount of gold changing hands, not the amount or value of the yields themselves. You don't appear to get any points from other trading with other Europeans. You get trade points for building market buildings, but I can't see anywhere indicating that you get points for the domestic market transactions themselves.

Looks to me like it's based on the amount of gold changing hands, not the amount or value of the yields themselves. You don't appear to get any points from other trading with other Europeans. You get trade points for building market buildings, but I can't see anywhere indicating that you get points for the domestic market transactions themselves.
Thanks! I always thought markets would have an on-going impact on trade points.

Out of curiosity I cheated me a simple scenario via World Editor.
What I found out was that 30% of Goods value is converted to TP when trading with Europe/Africa/Port Royale, versus only 15% of Goods value when trading with the Natives.
Trading with Europeans, as you already mentioned, gives no TP at all.
Markets give only a low, onetime TP bonus. (e.g. 100 TP vor Village Market, 150 for Town Market.)

I have to adjust my strategy a bit I think, as some Trade FF are quite good ones:
Jan de Witt (-25% requ. for buildings),
N.P. Resanov (2Exp. Native Traders, +25 better prices from bargaining and Trade Posts),
John Smith (-20% Cost of recruiting Units in Europe),
Alexander Hamilton (additional Hammers for Basecamp/Village/Town/City Halls/Gov.Palace/Col.Congress),
Samuel Adams (increases LB prod. by tax rate)

Fun fact:
There are no 'negative' TP, meaning you get TP when you buy and immediatly sell Goods in Europe/Africa/Port Royale. Or, in a more practical way, when you buy cheap in one harbor and sell it (with bargain) in another.

Last edited:
First off, thank you to the amazing creators of this mod. You took what was a kind of half assed remake of the seminal game of my life, and made it into the utterly amazing breathtaking work that it always should have been. Thank you so much for that. I have a review and recommendations that I am writing up for when I am done with my first playthrough on marathon gigantic, but right now I have some questions.

1) Is it possible to buy/build your own pirate ships? There's no purchase button in Port Royal. I am not yet able to build ships myself so I haven't been able to test that you yet. I see that you can buy pirate privateers in Europe but I don't see an option for pirate frigates like the ones I have acquired so far from random events. It would be amazing if there is a way to build pirate galleons to expand my port royal economic ability. Trying to trade there with just privateers would be very impractical.

2) My maximum tax rate keeps going up. It was 48% for my maximum tax rate, so when my current tax rate reached 48% I figured I was good. It wouldn't go up anymore and the king could kiss my ass. However three times now, he has hit me up with another increase which has jumped both my current and maximum tax rate up to 53% now. So what's going on? Your max tax rate should be an absolute maximum right?

3) Is there a console command to manually lower my tax rate so I can fix whatever bug is going on with my maximum tax rate?

4) Is there a way to hide all the native units on the map? The Toggle Enemy Unit Display button doesn't seem to do anything.

5) I don't think there is, but is there a way to show just the movement of European opponents but not the natives between turns? Turns would go a lot faster if I didn't have to watch all the movements of the peaceful natives.

if you deny a "request" by your King, the maximum tax rate goes up. If you accede to such a "request" it goes down.

I don't think there is a way to buy your own pirate ships in Port Royal, no.

I don't have the knowledge to answer your other questions, I fear.

Hi Emperawr,

I try to answer your issues one by one.

1.) Pirates
Depends on which pirate ship you want to have. There are three types of pirate ships.
  • Privateers: You can build these yourself, or buy them in Europe.
  • Pirate frigates: You can get them through events (I think from round 100 when the pirates first appear), or buy them in Port Royal.
  • Smuggler ships: You can only buy them in Port Royal.
Unfortunately there are no pirate galleons. Would be a good idea. Especially in the middle part of the game, when the king doesn't buy some of your goods anymore and your colonies don't yield much money.

2.) Tax rates

Why should the maximum tax rate be fixed? It is not in real life ... ;)
You can influence the increase of the maximum tax rate but I can't say how exactly it works. I think the more you trade with Europe the more likely the king will raise your taxes. If you trade a lot with the Indians, for example, it doesn't affect the tax rate.
The biggest influence is probably the selection of the nation. The Dutch, for example, have advantages.

3) Console
I don't know if there is a console where you can put in cheat commands ...:)

4.) and 5.) Hide units
I don't think so. I usually turn this option off. Only when I am at war with someone I turn it on.

2) Well there is the current tax rate, and the maximum tax rate. If you give the king what he wants all the time, he rarely ups the current tax rate. If you don't give him what he wants he will raise the current tax rate. However the maximum tax rate is supposed to be a cap on how high the king can make the tax rate go. If the king can change it, then there is no reason for it to exist. The only reason there is a max tax rate is because the king is not supposed to be able to go past that. However for some reason he is. At this point im at like 58% now.

3) I figured out how to get into the world builder which is by holding control and typing WIN, and while that does allow me to change a great many things, the tax rate does not seem to be one of them.

Huh, I'm not sure if I just didn't see it before somehow or what, but I can see the UI for buying smuggling ships and pirate frigates in Port Royal now. Weird but I'm glad cuz I'm getting raked by these taxes.

UPDATE: I think I figured it out. The UI for buying ships in Port Royal only shows up if one of your ships is currently docked there.

Also it seems like all three trade markets are linked as far as the raising and lowering of prices for particular goods are concerned, so since at this point my tax with the King is at about 60%, ill be getting twice as much profit selling very nearly everything in Port Royal as I would selling in Africa or Europe.

So it seems like at this point in the game, the only way to survive economically is going to be to buy an enormous fleet of smuggling ships. Three smugglers for every galleon. Right now It's taking about ~6-7 galleons going back and forth to handle the exports from my current group of cities so I'll need 18-21ish to cover my current export needs. That's gonna get real expensive real fast, but my significantly increased income should help make up the difference.

Funny that the only way to survive the endgame is to resort to nation wide piracy lol.

Last edited:
Here's a new question. Can export trade routes only be set up to go to europe or can they be automated to port royal as well? I am not seeing the option in the trade route interface anywhere, so I'm guessing this feature doesn't exist.

Huh, I'm not sure if I just didn't see it before somehow or what, but I can see the UI for buying smuggling ships and pirate frigates in Port Royal now. Weird but I'm glad cuz I'm getting raked by these taxes.

UPDATE: I think I figured it out. The UI for buying ships in Port Royal only shows up if one of your ships is currently docked there.

Also it seems like all three trade markets are linked as far as the raising and lowering of prices for particular goods are concerned, so since at this point my tax with the King is at about 60%, ill be getting twice as much profit selling very nearly everything in Port Royal as I would selling in Africa or Europe.

So it seems like at this point in the game, the only way to survive economically is going to be to buy an enormous fleet of smuggling ships. Three smugglers for every galleon. Right now It's taking about ~6-7 galleons going back and forth to handle the exports from my current group of cities so I'll need 18-21ish to cover my current export needs. That's gonna get real expensive real fast, but my significantly increased income should help make up the difference.

Funny that the only way to survive the endgame is to resort to nation wide piracy lol.

You are aware that instead of royal tax you have to pay bribes in Port Royal?

Anyone know what to do with sperm whales inside city radius? Neither my colonist (including expert fisherman) nor whaling boat can get whale from that. Fishermen can only get food from there.

Hey everyone! Long time fan and lurker, first time poster. Love the mod!
Quick question about roads: The "route to" command (alt-R) builds the highest level of road (plastered country road) to the selected tile. I love this for when I have some pioneers to spare and I want to upgrade my initial, primitive road system. But I'm wondering if there is a "route to" command which will only build the simple road to a tile.
This is definitely not a complaint or a feature request; but I've learned from these forums that there are a lot of things this mod can do that I just didn't know about! (Like forts. I had no idea forts did so much! Or that you could combine treasures... learning that saved me a lot of galleon trips!)
Anyway, anything like this? Thanks a lot!

Team, are you looking at balancing a bit the gold price? Every game we play in multiplayer, having the gold gives you like 80% chance to win. the price of 40 we think it is excessive.

Top Bottom