1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[WTP] Quick questions

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Fürstbischof

Fürstbischof Chieftain

Considering the numbers I was also wondering...

This reminds me of raystuttgarts post on GitHub two weeks ago:
    It'd be really nice to set a similar multiplier for military units, too.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  2. Fürstbischof

Fürstbischof Chieftain

Although the screen makes only sense if you want to compare yourself with other comparable nations, i.e. your European rivals, there is still room for improvement. Since there is no revision of the screen itself planned or intended, we can still rename the headers of the columns. But the the columns seem to have a fixed width so that inserting 'European' might or might not work. I'll do some tests.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  3. modmod

modmod Warlord

Can be domestic sales (temporary) disabled?
    I mean forbid to sale certain goods in the domestic market (per colony or otherwise).
    Sometimes get annoying when cannot produce goods because all of them consumed in the certain colony.

Or disable the market building in a colony temporary (all domestic sales halted)?

4. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder Supporter

No, such a feature / setting in City Screen does not exist.
    But somebody could program it. :dunno:

5. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon King Supporter

When we follow the logic that the demographics screen does not compare ALL AI´s to the player but only the europeans as only those count as rivals
    (I don´t, as a player could lose to a native AI in an early war and as e.g. Civilization compared all civilizations with each other in the categories of land size, military, gold etc) then it makes no sense that the native AI´s do have scores at all.

e.g. score list of all discovered AI´s on the right of the screen where most european rivals still are far behind the native AI´s (marathon game speed, gigantic map)

Spoiler :

upload_2021-7-10_17-20-57.png

A score is nothing else but a comparison just like in the demographics screen.
    So either native AI´s can achive something and have e.g. the largest land size (and they did have gigantic realms until their conquest), the largest military, the richest treasury - then they should be counted both in the demographics comparison and have a score in the score screen.

OR the native AI´s are no "rivals" as they are expected to be pushovers for the european AI´s - in that case they should not be used in the demographics (as they currently are not) but then they should not have a score either just like the Kings of Europe do not have a score.

Edit:
    It makes even less sense to exclude the native AI´s from the comparisons - in the "victory conditions" screenthe native AI (here the Incas) are used for the comparison of population size - not just the europeans.

Spoiler :
    Victory Conditions.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon King Supporter

Regarding the vanilla bug that movement cost is not shown for mountains and hills that ray fixed in the bug thread for the next patch a balance question:

Are mountains to fast? If unforested savannah/grassland/prairie has a movement cost of 1, plains with forests regardless if light forest or forest and unforested hills 2, mountains 3 (and as far as I read ray jungles in the next patch 3 too) but hills with forests 4 - then the logical way to go west in the settling of the USA would not be to use the Cumberland Gap (forested hills between mountains) but build a road over the mountains...

IMO mountains should have the highest movement cost and should be avoided usually by most units as every other way should be faster - it might not matter much at the start because most units are not allowed to move on mountains, but once roads are built units would be fast on a road through the high mountains than on a road over forested hills...

Mountains = movement cost 5?

raystuttgart likes this.
  7. raystuttgart

Actually a good idea. :thumbsup:

In my current balancing.

• Flatland: 1
    • Forest: 2
    • Jungle: 3
    • Hills: +1
    • Mountain:+ 2
    ----

Forest on Hills : 3 (2 +1)
    Jungle on Hills: 4 (3 +1)

I will give Mountains: +4 ---> 5 (normally Mountanins have no features)

8. uplink

uplink Chieftain

Hey guys!
    Since my fancy gaming pc died recently, I dug up my old computer and started playing civ IV again. I remembered this mod and the fun I had last time around, thought to give it a go again. I`m really impressed by the progress that`s been made since. This game is even greater now! Nation building aspect is pretty much perfect, changes that I would like to see now are regarding to the military side of the game: stacking limits, meaningful promotions tree, etc. to actually give some tactical depth to combat.

My question tho is about my last run. I claimed independence and killed off every unit of the king`s expeditionary force but... the game just goes on. No victory has occurred. What`s up with that? And also: what exactly is needed for an industrial victory?

9. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Annoyingly the AI can come up with the idea to hide a few units and you haven't won until you defeated all of them.

You have to produce 10 000 yields in a single turn. I can't remember offhand if bells, crosses and similar are included.

uplink likes this.
  10. Nebula213

Nebula213 Chieftain

I had some trouble with animal. I love this feature. But it was not possible for me to send my colony garisson to kill the beast . Now in europe i got a hunter and i thougt i can use him to hunt animals. But no, he look like arnold schwarzenegger in predator but he kills only peacefull animals like bugs bunny like elmer fudd.

It is possible to give the hunter the skill wildlife for animal hunting so we can use him like scouts for animal hunting?

11. modmod

modmod Warlord

In unitinfos.xml you can edit the followings:
    <iCombat>1</iCombat>
    <iHillsAttack>0</iHillsAttack>
    <iHillsDefense>0</iHillsDefense>
    <iDomesticBonus>0</iDomesticBonus>
    <TerrainAttacks/>
    <TerrainDefenses/>
    <FeatureAttacks/>
    <FeatureDefenses/>

Are in % bonus.

Promotions just add certain bonuses for combat.
    Can add what you wish in:
    </FreePromotion>
    </FreePromotions>

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Nebula213 likes this.
  12. Fürstbischof

Fürstbischof Chieftain

Wherever you look you'll (almost) always find Civilization under the hood. As long as noone has an idea for improvements and is also willing to spend the necessary time coding these you won't see any improvements - sadly.

The score list is - especially on gigantic maps - almost unusable due to the high number of native tribes so that I barely use it at all. Neither their score nor their gold reserves should actually be visible to the player.

I wouldn't mind seeing the score list stripped down to a short list of European rivals and kings - for quickly initiated diplomacy.

I've slightly revised the headers of the columns of the info screen:
    info screen.png

13. 2000AD

2000AD Chieftain

What equipment do you need for a prepared settler? Couldn't spot it in the encyclopedia.

14. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Prince

if I remember correctly, then food, wood, tools and horses are needed.

15. raystuttgart

Just check for the Profession "Settler". (In Colopedia Section "Professions".)

Profession and Unit are 2 completely different things.
    Units do not need Equipment only Professions do.

Profession: Settler
    Expert Unit: Prepared Settler

16. CptBadger

CptBadger Warlord

Question, is there any terrain feature type plan (and idk if thats the appropriate term) for like rare and uniquenatural landmarks, including special bonuses or perks within city radius?

Things like the grand canyon or Niagara falls, maybe they could provide the city with extra culture per turn?

I've browsed pages of threads and thread titles but idk if I'm missing an existing thread.

17. raystuttgart

It exists:
    Natural Wonders

It has been touched several times briefly (and also discussed in more detail internally in our modder's community).
    But we simply miss enough good / adequate examples (geographically correct to New World / realistic / immersive) to make this worthwhile.

Summary:

The game design and even the technical implementation concept already exist.
    But without enough adequate examples of "Natural Wonders" this can simply not be realized.

Bring me enough "content" in terms of a list of Natural Wonders.
    Then I might turn this into a game feature.

Without content to fill it there is no point to discuss how it might work. :dunno:

CptBadger likes this.
  18. CptBadger

CptBadger Warlord

Now /that/ is an assignment I can do! If content is what you lack, I can do research all might long some times, just on my cell at work. Anything requiring a computer is harder lol

19. CptBadger

CptBadger Warlord

Another question of the "im sure its been discussed somewhere but my search is failing me..." variety...

Naval (and artillery) bombardment causing unit damage? Thinking similar to the civ4 road to war mod.

Why warships, cannon, and mortars pounding a settlement for a prolonged period only reduces a defense bonus and doesn't actually hurt anyone is a mystery to me. I imagine there's some reason, if only "no ones done it yet" lol.

Seems a pretty big immersion miss, though.

20. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I think it means it's the same feature, but with different graphics, like a forest can have more than one appearance.

Come to think of it, shouldn't we have variety of improvements? That way we can have one goody hut while keeping all the graphics. I'm not sure it's worth it to implement now, but I think that would have been a better approach if it was done from the start.

Prior to the 19th century, cannons generally had a range of max 200 meters. Land units moving out of range of ships isn't unthinkable. Besides the cannon ammo against units (humans) was grape shot (many small bullets, essentially a shotgun). While horribly effective at close range, it did have a really short range meaning it was used as a ship to ship combat weapon when they were close.

EDIT: long range guns became possible in 1844 as modern measurements allowed bullets and barrel to match in size.

21. CptBadger

CptBadger Warlord

I feel like I failed to convey a specific detail. *during settlement bombardment*

Bombarding a unit on the countryside, yeah they'd just move out of range. In a settlement that is besieged by warships or artillery, they can't just move. And you can't tell me that troops on or behind walls wouldn't be slowly killed by cannonballs raining on them. I wouldn't expect it to be a large portion of damage (at least from a single bombarding unit) but once defensive protections (walls ie bonus) are depleted, a 2-10 percent hit per bombardment (10 being mortar or man o war units, if that high even)seems realistic. One bombarding unit will probably not be able to erode faster than unit heals, and maybe that makes the whole thing not worth it. But stacking 5 SotL and a half dozen or more artillery on shore would surely make a dent. 4 or 5 turns of that seige, the defending units /wouldn't be at full strength, would they? Right now you could surround and pound with 100 manowar on a coastal town, for 100 turns, and that town guard won't have a scratch