Poll: Mod/Scenario of the Year 2012

Which is the best Mod or Scenario of 2012?

• My Civilization III mod Godzilla monster by xiaoxiaoa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Earth Mod 7.0 by unartis

• Age of Discovery (world map) by Nexxo

• Imitate the Civilization 4 mod by xiaoiaoa

• Hegemon! Of the Classical Greek World! by Rambuchan

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Civilization III: Modern Navy Mod by xiaoxiaoa

• Storm over Europe (SOE) by Civinator

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Civ III RPG Mod Phagocytic evolution of version 1.0 by NZIG

• Escape From Zombie Island II Complete by Vuldacon

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • WW2 Global Gold by Civinator

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Civilization3 unique mod, you've never played by xiaoxiaoa

• Age of Heroes: A Late Bronze Age Scenario by Big Bopper

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Picture the best civilization 3 mod by xiaoxiaoa

• War of Independence 1775-1783 by Bathyskaff

• Flakless by Erebras

• Galactic Conquest by Elite

• Civilization III Monster Hunter Mod by xiaoxiaoa

• Gaia - version 1.1 by Taube87

• Earth Globalism Mod by unartis

• Sack of Constantinople/4th Crusade by mecob3

• The Cinemod by wuhjah

• Japanese Sword of the Shogun by Bathyskaff

• MEM2 Medieval Britain and Ireland by KingArthur

• SPQR by The Guardian

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balthasar

Wise Man
Hi gang! Out in the real world it's time for the Oscars, the Emmys, the Baftras and the Golden Globes. Right here it's time to vote on our best Mod or Scenario of the Year - the Modders. And now our celebrity presenters, past Leaderhead of the Year winners King Hord Dark-eye and Elle the Celtic Queen will present the nominees: (applause)

This Year's nominees span the genres from fantasy to historical reality to space epic, and include mods written in English, Chinese and Russian.

These Mods and Scenarios were all posted this year in the forums, either in the Completed Mods and Completed Scenario threads or in the Download Database. Although as many posted creations as possible have been included, those that were described as BETA and some that changed only game rules have been excluded, to save space.

Well you know, Elle, we can only have 25 in a Poll!

You can sure fit more than that on a pole! (laughter)
I guess only despotic rulers like you and me would know that! (laughter)(applause)

Our 25 nominees for best Mod or Scenario of 2012 are:

my Civilization III mod Godzilla monster by xiaoxiaoa

Earth Mod 7.0 by unartis

Age of Discovery (world map) by Nexxo

Imitate the Civilization 4 mod by xiaoiaoa

Hegemon! Of the Classical Greek World! by Rambuchan & Vuldacon

Civilization III: Modern Navy Mod by xiaoxiaoa

Storm over Europe (SOE) by Civinator & SOE Team

Civ III RPG Mod Phagocytic evolution of version 1.0 by NZIG

Escape From Zombie Island II Complete by Vuldacon

WW2 Global Gold by Civinator

Civilization3 unique mod, you've never played by xiaoxiaoa

Age of Heroes: A Late Bronze Age Scenario by Big Bopper

Picture the best civilization 3 mod by xiaoxiaoa

War of Independence 1775-1783 by Bathyskaff

Flakless by Erebras

Galactic Conquest by Elite

Civilization III Monster Hunter Mod by xiaoxiaoa

Gaia - version 1.1 by Taube87

Earth Globalism Mod by unartis

Sack of Constantinople/4th Crusade by mecob3

The Cinemod by wuhjah

Japanese Sword of the Shogun by Bathyskaff

MEM2 Medieval Britain and Ireland by KingArthur

SPQR by The Guardian

We'd like to remind everyone that you have the rest of the month to vote, so please familiarize yourselves with all of the nominated Mods and Scenarios before voting.

Good Luck Everyone!

And I thought the unit thread was a tight race. A lot of these games were clearly enormous projects that took a great deal of tenacity to complete. Gaia, Cinemod, Age of Heroes, War of Independence, SPQR, and Age of Discovery are absolutely excellent. Zombie Island and Hegemon are veritable masterpieces balancing detail and gameplay. But in the end I had to go for Storm Over Europe. Even as a 'beta', it's not only filled with immense historical detail but also rich with creative ideas and complex problem-solving.

:hatsoff: What a great time to play civ.

Storm over Europe isn't described as a 'Beta' in the thread, unless I missed something. And I'm glad you mention Hegemon - I accidentally described Rambuchan as the sole creator, when it should have said: Rambuchan & Vuldacon. I've fixed it in the first post, but can't change the text of the poll itself. My apologies to Vuldacon for the oversight.

Storm over Europe was a teamwork by many civers: Recon1591, Wyrmshadow, CaseVW, Adler17, El Justo, W.i.n.t.e.r., BadKharma, Yoshi, EStrongblade, texastarheel7 and the testers MarineCorps, AlCosta, tgo1130, GeneralJCL, Josh and Storm Grunt (and me). I would feel better, if there stands: SOE created by the SOE-team, as this scenario contains tons of work of many ambitious civers named above and I was only one of them.

SOE is in beta, as all scenarios and mods I did post are in beta.:) There is always something to improve in them - but this doesn´t mean they can´t be played very well. For about one year I have a reworked SOE biq by Simon Darkshade and added some massive improvements in reducing the first AI turntimes, but even this version will be a beta. :) I hope this helps to clear the questions above a little bit.

This said, there are so many wonderful mods and scenarios listed here -and everyone of them in my eyes is a winner -, that I second Anthony Boscia´s statement:

:hatsoff: What a great time to play Civ 3! :)

Wow! This is exciting. I've never (knowingly) been in one of these polls. I'm flattered and grateful to see such support for Hegemon and to see that support growing. Big thanks to all who have voted so far :goodjob:

I'd like to echo AnthonyBoscia's words. Scenarios and mods are indeed massive undertakings. They require a huge amount of time, inspiration, vision, ingenuity, artistic sensibility, dedication, research, writing, problem solving, testing, reworking and, of course, collaboration. Everyone who has put one out there for the community - and all those who helped them - can rightly be proud of themselves, especially those who have taken on the formidable task of delivering really epic, enormous and immersive projects.

In fact, I would go further and say that scenarios and mods are undertakings and contributions like no other. They necessarily call for and bring together all aspects of modding into one coherent vision and experience. They draw upon, unite and give new meaning to the amazing creations that modders so tirelessly give birth to - without which scenarios and mods just would not be possible in the way that we now expect them. And they do so under one seemingly innocuous and misleadingly simple heading of "I got editor skills".

It's great to see those with editor skills being acknowledged here. As far as I know, it happens quite rarely. So I'd like to take the opportunity to offer my personal congratulations, admiration and thanks to all my fellow mod and scenario creators. You are true heroes!!

Congratulations to the winners :clap: and a thank you very much to everybody who gave his vote to SOE :thanx:.

I've spilleth my cuppeth, over my keyboard.

Very much humbled by this. It's quite an achievement in amongst such dazzling work. I'd just like to reiterate that earlier praise and respect for my fellow mod/scenario makers in this competition. You are brilliant people. We feed off and build upon each others' ideas and dreams. So keep up the great work.

I must also say thank you to all who voted for Hegemon. I'm thrilled to know so many have been enjoying it so much and I hope you will continue to do so. Thank you also to all those modders who have gone before and all those who keep pumping out such outstanding assets for scenario makers to employ. We do really stand on the shoulders of giants, and that includes all the good people who get involved in play testing.

Finally, and by no means least, I offer a special big thank you and brotherly hug to my main man Vuldacon. Without him many of my fancy ideas just couldn't have been implemented. Without him I wouldn't have pushed on. Without him there wouldn't have been the level of graphical detail and polish that the game offers. Without Vuldacon this forum would be a great deal poorer.

Thanks to all of you who voted for Hegemon and EFZI2 Complete. It is an honor to have these games chosen as Best of the Year... Especially when compared to the other Great MODS/Scenarios that are so Outstanding. :hatsoff: Hats Off to all of you Creative and Knowledgeable members who make this Forum so Unique with your Creative Work.

Hegemon is the First Greek MOD/Scenario to tackle the many difficulties concerning being able to convey the Greek History and Culture of that ERA using the CIV III/Conquests Game Engine and it was a Pleasure working with Rambuchan to bring it to fruition.
...Thanks to Rambuchan, Players will gain insight into Greek History and Culture and I hope all will find the Game equally esthetic and fun to play.
Great Job Rambuchan :clap:

Escape From Zombie Island 2 Complete is more of a Super Natural/Science Fiction game that offers no History, other than within the imaginations of the players who fight through it to stay alive and Escape or Conquer the Zombies on Paradise Island during that time and place :lol:
... Especially because EFZI2 Complete is such a different MOD/Scenario than what most CIV players are accustomed to playing concerning "Historical Reality", I am Flattered it gained such high votes.

The work over the past Decade here has been both Challenging and Fun. It has been a Real Pleasure to work amongst such a Great Group of People.

Top Bottom