Work in Progress - Super Civ Scenario

Brownie points to Sir Plot and kudos to Supa for the full identification. The landmarks were Gotham Tower, Wayne Mansion and Arkham Asylum. Oh almost forgot the last image - in the spirit of comic book mash-ups it's Smallville with Kent Farm, Kent Farm House and Kent Farm Windmill.

Fire Alarm goes off at United Underworld's HQ (damn balrogs ;)). Evacuation of the building underway.

Playtesting has revealed a few probs with happiness which I'll need to address.

Attachments

• firealarm.png
    firealarm.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 411
Takhisis - actually a goddess but one whose powers are much diminished being kept in check by the Celestial Order so that she is forced to serve them.
KingArthur said:
Dragon Ladies - mysterious and overtly sexy. The Dragon Lady wears a qipao and knows martial arts. She favours killing with a silenced pistol or stabbing her victims with folding metal fans.
So Takhisis doesn't get to be sexy* and mysterious but a Chinese lass -a dragon lady, in fact- does? A freaking goddes of darkness and queen of dragons gets no sass?
No morphing into 5-headed dragon either?

*: the game character. I know that I am very sexy IRL

Congrats to Plotinus and Supa for guessing the map source. Very good Gentlemen, you've again met my expectations, despite my attempts at misdirection. It is indeed Eliot Brown's Gotham City taken from a map I found on Strangemaps. Brown has a website on which he describes the genesis of the map, and which includes my now-favorite original hand-drawn version of the map. There are other maps based on that map in existence, including a huge Sim version at Simtropolis, and even a Google-Style Map.

I made some changes from the maps in order to adapt Gotham to this specific mod. Many of the parks are gone; I felt that the huge park in the middle of the island was plenty, and wanted the uptown areas to be more decidedly low-income in character. The original maps had an airport; I replaced that with "Smallville" - once a rural village, now a housing development - except for the Kent Farm, which wouldn't sell. (The Daily Planet also has a building downtown which you might have caught in the previous preview) You can barely see it on the maps you've seen so far, but I put a small Island out in the bay - because evil masterminds need private places, too. Here are some more images from the map, left to right: the Amusement Pier, Blackgate Island (in this pic sporting the Prison and Power Plant, but KA may move the Plant back to it's original place on the north shore), and Silicon Park (a place to spawn mad scientists).

You might notice the telephone wires in some of these images; those are river tiles, reworked into telephone lines. They work particularly well over roads, where they now add character rather than an annoying break in the pavement.

For the time being, this map has been given to King Arthur for exclusive use in his Superhero Scenario, and he will probably make changes to it before that mod is finished. I'll make it generally available after he finishes the mod. I hope everyone will support him in this project, as it's a fun idea, and fun ideas are even rarer than good ideas.

Beautiful rivers! :hatsoff:

Do you want anything to be added to the Takh's queue of graphic work?

I also notice a disturbing lack of Terminators or similar brainless killing machines in this scenario.

Beautiful rivers! :hatsoff: Do you want anything to be added to the Takh's queue of graphic work?

Such as....?

This terrain (and the Manhattan terrain as well) could benefit from a "bridge" unit that would be immobile and set to be captured by whomever passes over it, so it wouldn't have to actually do anything. Such a unit (if 'unoccupied') would allow both land and river traffic. Actually two units, one facing SW-NE and another facing SE - NW would probably be necessary. Perhaps a version with support pilings as well.....

Bridge urban terrain.jpg

I can extract some nice bridges (still gfx) from Open TTD. Do you want rail bridges, asphalt, waterway? Cantilever/girder? Wooden/cement/reinforced steel?

Kingarthur et al:

Just to prove that I haven't lost interest in this mod, here's my progress thus far on "Magical Pretty Princess Red Rose" (Or if you want to throw in the gratuitous German/fairy tale reference that a lot of Magical Girl anime seems to like to throw in, you could call her "Magical Pretty Princess Rosenrot"):

Here we have Yoshiko Takahara, straight-A high school student with plans to go to college, get married, have kids, etc... Little does she know that fate has something far greater in store for her......

....For she has been chosen by Elbereth, Angel of Light to be her new champion:

(50 geek points to whomever can guess what I just threw a reference to in the preceding description).

I can extract some nice bridges (still gfx) from Open TTD. Do you want rail bridges, asphalt, waterway? Cantilever/girder? Wooden/cement/reinforced steel?

That depends on how ambitious you are. I would think that simple, classic bridge lines would be best for all-purpose use:

Edit: really nice unit, Hikaro.
Um, while you've got that schoolgirl on your drafting board Hikaro, perhaps you might consider making a 'Gogo Yubari' - the schoolgirl 'enforcer' from Kill Bill Vol. 2?... you'd have to admit, it would be a cool villain unit...

@Deutshamerikaner: Elbereth is the Queen of the valar in LotR, but my sixth sense (nerdiness) tells me that it's something different. The pic looks like Sailor Moon, but...
:scan:
Aaaarrrgghhh!!! I know that in those years in which I could have done useful things I watched it sometime...

@Balthasar: open TTD has very simple gfx indeed. I'll try and get up a screenie tomorrow so you can choose.

Takhisis wins 50 nerd points! Yes, that is supposed to be Elbereth of the Valar (Elven word for angelic beings) and she will be sending her champion forth to kindle some stars under the backsides of some local villians! (don't mind me, I haven't been getting much sleep lately)....

Balthasar: Don't have the spiky ball on a chain prop (not to mention that it will be pure Hell to animate!)...

So Takhisis doesn't get to be sexy* ...
No morphing into 5-headed dragon either?
*: the game character. I know that I am very sexy IRL
I'm not even going to comment on your sexiness :p

I'm not ruling out an upgrade to a 5 headed dragon (or at least to Supa's Ghidorah unit) - all special units have upgrades

Such as....?
This terrain (and the Manhattan terrain as well) could benefit from a "bridge" unit that would be immobile and set to be captured by whomever passes over it, so it wouldn't have to actually do anything.
A bridge unit would be cool - how exactly would it work though? - naval transport type?

Kingarthur et al:
Just to prove that I haven't lost interest in this mod, here's my progress thus far on "Magical Pretty Princess Red Rose"
I'm glad to hear you're still working on this unit HT - :goodjob:

I for one cannot wait to play this scenario!
thanks Virote - it's very close now to release - I'm bashing up the civilopedia and playtesting just now. My only distraction are the Vuvuzela Concerts on TV every night which is sort of slowing me down at the moment.

Faction Preview - CHAOS

CHAOS is a worldwide organisation that believes that there should be a New World Order. It has received money from various secret sources over a number of years, during which time CHAOS has gradually grown into a massive influential political army, with spies located in most governments.

Despite it's global reach, CHAOS has been slow to infiltrate Civ City and have been thwarted several times in carrying out terrorist campaigns there. Their latest tactic is to establish a low key presence by taking over the local mob and spreading their influence from there.

Spoiler :

Faction Portrait
Spoiler :

Faction Leader:
General Chaos
Regional Controller of CHAOS' Civ City operations. General Chaos is a product of CHAOS' genetic breeding programme - a metahuman with enhanced strength and mental capacity.

Big Bads:
He-yak - Top Enforcer for the CHAOS Organisation. He-yak was a simple farm boy from the Ukraine who developed super strength after being bitten by a radioactive yak.

The Whatsit - The Whatsit gained his rock like skin and strength after being trapped in a disused quarry during an H-bomb test.

Rotten Egg - Owes his powers to the bullet proof shell he has constructed. His special powers involve being able to generate a sulphorous stench to choke his opponents.

Dr Prometheus - Ex-KGB psychic weapon with pyrokinetic abilities.

Minions:
Action Girls - spunky, agile, and can take you down with an array of kicks, punches, or diverse Weapons Of Choice. The Action Girl is used by CHAOS on missions of infiltration and sabotage.

Mobster - CHAOS has taken over the local Mafia and can now field scary Italian dudes with sharp suits and cool shooters.

Mad Bomber - Mad Bombers are usually maniacs who want nothing but chaos, destruction, and anarchy. Armed with a cartoon style bomb, they are as dangerous as they are crazy.

Hit man - Impeccably dressed, cold-hearted, career killers.

Cool Vehicle:
Firefox - CHAOS have based this model on an early-80s prototype stolen from the Soviets.

Attachments

• chaos.png
    chaos.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 829
  • CHAOS HQ.jpg
    CHAOS HQ.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 855
Looking and coming along Great King Arthur :goodjob:

One observation/suggestion... It is probably only the image but if not, a little more contrast added to the Terrain and all things on it would sharpen it in a realistic way.

Does the genetic make-up include Siegfried and Dr. Evil? The upgrade for the moosezilla should be Moosezilla (larger-or not, reptilian and horned) maybe a triceratops or rhino.

A bridge unit would be cool - how exactly would it work though? - naval transport type?

Yeah, it's the old "use an aircraft carrier as a bridge" trick. Bothersome, because units have to be "unloaded" from it to continue along the bridge, and you have to make sure, too, that a "captured" bridge doesn't become a slave worker (for instance), upon capture (- the same is true though, for the animated waterfalls in the SP mod. and they work fine). On the upside, boats pass directly through it, so it does do the work of a bridge.

It is probably only the image but if not, a little more contrast added to the Terrain and all things on it would sharpen it in a realistic way.

It's the image. For comparison, the images I posted earlier are actual game scale, and everything looks better in-game. Besides, the fire actually blurs the building behind it. (see image below - right-click "view image" for a sharper view). KA points out an inadvertent bonus to this terrain: fire effects look great on it. When a building/city goes into disorder (or "plague" in his example, from the looks of it), it looks as though it's caught fire, and when the Volcanoes/industrial areas do their thing, it looks like smelters working overtime.

Faction Preview - United Underworld

The United Underworld

Spoiler :

Faction Portrait
Spoiler :

Faction Leader:
Nemesis
Nemesis was once a warrior-king who led an army in conquest of the world. During his conquests Nemesis learned of a portal of immense power that appears every 3000 years. Upon finding and opening the portal Nemesis' army was utterly destroyed and he himself was enslaved becoming a champion for demonic powers. For the past 3000 years he has fought for his demonic masters in different dimensions. Now 3000 years later the portal has opened on to Earth again and he has been tasked with finishing the conquest he sought so many years before. However, much has changed in the world and the United Underworld must tread carefully while they build up their forces in secret.

Big Bads:
Grim Weirdo Dark Lieutenant of the United Underworld - "The Ever Living Source of Grim Weirdness"

Balthasar - A twisted necromancer who discovered or was sought out by an agent of the United Underworld 30 years ago. In return for power he helped prepare the way for the reopening of the portal, recruiting members to the Shadow Cult and establishing a secret base within the city's Gothic quarter.

Ambassador Vlad Draco - Is the Moldavian ambassador to the US who also happens to be a vampire.

Summum Ra - An Egyptian High Priest enslaved by the portal when it opened on Earth 6000 years ago.

Minions:

Mind Gobblers - A floating orb of flesh with a large mouth, single central eye, and lots of smaller eyestalks on top with deadly magical powers. The Mind Gobbler is so named because it uses psychic attacks that literally destroy the mind of their victim.

Cat Burglars - These sleek half-human, half-cat creatures target only the finest items and pride themselves on leaving little or no clue on how they accomplished their burglaries - you could call it the "purrfect" crime.

Gargoyles - Nocturnal creatures that turn to stone during the day. They roost on top of the city's many gothic buildings.

Ghouls - Members of a nocturnal subterranean race enslaved by United Underworld.

Cultists - Human worshippers and servants of the united underworld.

Beastmen - Underworld "doormen" who guard the entrances to the underworld's subterranean lairs.

Cool Vehicle:
Steam Skyship - A fire and brimstone powered invention from the underground workshops of the United Underworld.

Attachments

• United Underworld start.png
    United Underworld start.png
    237.8 KB · Views: 648
  • United Underworld.png
    United Underworld.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 652
Top Bottom