Civ4 documentation wiki

It looks like the dns has propogated so later tonight I'll get everything running off of http://civ4wiki.com/

I messed up by installing the wiki in a folder called civ4wiki. It's overlapping the folder where the new domain is pointing, which is why http://civ4wiki.com/ doesn't work. I'll probably have to take the site down for a few minutes to get everything right.

But again, that's later tonight when I get home from work.

About ads and such, I'll have to wait and see what the bandwidth requirements will be like. So far you guys have used a whopping 21.46 MB. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Also, if anyone with more talent that I have wants to put together some site graphics and whatnot, feel free. That icon in the upper/left corner was the best I could do.

I posted this in a discussion page on Wiki (Archer) but I think it will be easier to discuss this here.

I wonder if it's good to store images on imageshak.. Do they stay there forever ? Won't it be easier to allow upload on Wiki ? If we use only images for small icons, it shouldn't use so much bandwidth. Is ImageMagick or equivalent installed on the server ?

Retrieved from "http://www.kyteland.com/civ4wiki/index.php/Talk:Archer"

I wonder if it's good to store images on imageshak.
No, it's not. I'll work on that tonight as well.

I wasn't thinking about this beyond the scope of xml/python documentation, which really don't need anything but text. But if people want to run with this and add the civlopedia and a bunch of other stuff that's fine with me. As long as I'm not hosting screenshots for sucession games or modpack artwork it shouldn't be a problem.

It probably wouldn't hurt for everyone to discuss the kinds of things that should end up on the wiki. Civlopedia information and xml/python documentation are a good start. Should things like combat odds end up there? I read a great thread here that outlined how the odds are calculated. Is that information more appropriate here, there or both places?

If information from a thread here makes it up on the wiki it should probably have a reference link to that thread.

rkyte said:
It probably wouldn't hurt for everyone to discuss the kinds of things that should end up on the wiki. Civlopedia information and xml/python documentation are a good start. Should things like combat odds end up there? I read a great thread here that outlined how the odds are calculated. Is that information more appropriate here, there or both places?

If information from a thread here makes it up on the wiki it should probably have a reference link to that thread.
I think both places would probably be best. I agree with the reference link as well.

Thinking about it, given the inadiqucies of the Civilopedia (I haven't had first hand experience, but most seem to agree), a sort of online Civilopedia, with stratagy suggestions would be a really cool thing to have.

BTW - I think Civrules might be quite interested in this, as he seems to be running the Civfanatics Civ 4 info centre.

EDIT: I've got to get used to this WIKI thing... I should use that damn preview button a bit more often. I seem to be spamming the "recent changes" thing quite alot, with very small changes :blush:

don't forget to correct my spelling mistakes :D
someone already corrected the boolean part in unitsinfos; thanks greatapple

I suggest a standard to be used for the XML files. Make it so that it is easily readable - ie lists and should leave no area for which someone would have to guess.

I suggest a total of 4 areas:
1. Summery
2. Exampe (from the actuall game)
3. Description of each tag
4. Possible values for each.

I'll show you what I mean with a few of the files I have already mapped out.

I'm on board. I'll be moving my ridiculously blank guide there tonight.

vbraun said:
I suggest a standard to be used for the XML files. Make it so that it is easily readable - ie lists and should leave no area for which someone would have to guess.
Agree with this, at the moment we have several .xml files mapped out, each of them in a slightly different format!

McBierle said:
someone already corrected the boolean part in unitsinfos; thanks greatapple
Hehe, no problem, I was about to list out all the tags when I saw you had done it. I mainly just added links to other parts of the future wiki.

EDIT: We're getting along quite fast with this! Good job people!

We also have to establish something like: "This is a guide for the modder by the modder"

Also there needs to be a few rules possibly like: "This is not for advertisment for your mod in anyway, any advertisment will be proptly deleted."

Mods should get there own site and not cluter up this reference guide. :)

what we need is categories, rather than lists. im trying to add in categories, which work better and easier than lists of units and files

edit: should there be another thing labeled "mods and scenarios" with all of the big (or small ones too) mods there, listing changes, units, new tags, etc?

jbfballrb said:
what we need is categories, rather than lists. im trying to add in categories, which work better and easier than lists of units and files

edit: should there be another thing labeled "mods and scenarios" with all of the big (or small ones too) mods there, listing changes, units, new tags, etc?

Some categories are already defined. But yes, Categories are MUCH better than lists in every possible way and aspect.

And, I don't want to use Imagesack much longer. However, it seems like a must. There still isn't any type of image upload system built into the Wiki. This is a must-have. Why didn't you add thsi in the first place?

MSTK said:
Why didn't you add thsi in the first place?
I didn't think ahead that far. :blush:

I'll try to get this implemented tonight when I get everything transfered over to the new domain.

jbfballrb said:
You probably know what you are doing better than I do (I've never edited a wiki before). I'll leave it to you to sort out catagories from my list :mischief:

We've got to try and get a sensible system for naming things. When linking to un-made things I've tried to use quite generic links (America, rather than American for example). If you're going to make a addition, it would be good if you could check to see if there are any links that might be set up ready for that addition - will save us having to repair alot of broken links in the future.

EDIT: And I'm still amazed at how fast stuff is getting added. Good job people!

Top Bottom