Insects MOD (Discussion & unit preview)

varwnos > Good idea.
Blue Monkey > If you liked SimAnt, you should check "Empire of the Ants". Unfortunatly, if the idea is good, the gameplay and the interface could have been better. And there is some bugs with newer PCs such an invisible pointer!

I had little time to devote to it today (still managed to make 3 anims ^^) but I'd like it if you could share your suggestions and ideas about units, technologies and resources. I've got a few on my own, but a little brainstorming is never bad.

Resources: I was thinking about a bunch of prey bonus resources with a high disappearance/reappearance ratio. A resource popup near a city ? A prey insect has come too near of the nest and is probably eaten. The resource disappear ? Insect has been eaten.

Terrains: Obviously, it needs brand new graphics. But first, terrains must be chosen. In bulk: leaves carpet, grass, dirt, rocks, ..

Roads: Pheromones tracks. New GFX. Should I give every (or almost all) units the "Build roads" ability ? I think not. Only worker/drone ?

I get it, good idea but wrong shape/size/texture/idea :p
What about the ant idea though? :)

Attachments

• ant.PNG
    ant.PNG
    17.9 KB · Views: 284
Very cool idea, and something i've wanted for a while now... only now we will have the units for it. :D Will definately play this mod if made. :thumbsup:

yes this is definitly an original idea...I love it... I havnt quite got the hang of making units but i would like to help in any way i could.
Where are the roaches? There has to be roaches.Grasshoppers?
crickets,Moths,etc..etc...etc...
The termite city could be a broken down house or a hallow log....lol...

The Termite Soldier is finished. I'm wondering: What about civ-color ? Should I use it ? Where ? Like on Kinboat's Spiders, parts of the legs ?

About roaches, crickets, butterflies and others mosquitos : They're not social insects. :p The Spiders unplayable civ is an exception made to 1. have a constant menace for others civs 2. use the great Kinboat's units. ;) (Even if there is, in fact, a few social spiders species but nothing like ants)

I finished this guy just now for the Fallout mod. Perhaps you could use it after the mod comes out...?

I wouldnt even put civ-color Supa...they are pretty easy to ID in the mod...Spiders are spiders, ants are ants...the only things you'd need civ color for is:
A) making to rival insect factions (ie ants vs. ants)
B) other mods after this one...

if you do civ colors, I would try to make the colors match how they "should" look...match up the colors to the natural ones...

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Call the Spiders the Arachnids, give them Ticks, Daddy-Long-Legs and Whipscorpions(and of coarse normal scorpions) and then your talking..:)

And don't forget about the Grandaddy of all arachnids: the Wind Scorpion, a.k.a. the Camel Spider.... Those Bad boys look like an evil cross between a scorpion, a spider and something from the 7 th circle of Hell. They can get up to 8 inches long (they have no tails), and can bite a man's finger off....

One of my friends in the Navy who was directly involved in Afghanistan told me about how two Camel Spiders almost overran the machinegun nest that he and several other sailors and marines were manning one night... They had trouble hitting them even with their MG due to how fast those things can run (they are the fastest invertebrate on the planet), and two guys got bit and passed out (some species of windscorpions have a tranquilizing venom) before they were finally able to repulse the attack....

Needless to say that noone in the bunker was in the mood to fall asleep after that.

Top Bottom