Is it possible to do a bit of scripting for Civ3?

elenar

Deadman
What I really can't stand about Civ3 is that they didn't make scripting possible, like in Civ2 (events.txt).
I wonder if it would be possible for someone to write small program that would monitor date/turn in Civ3 and trigger text messages ? They could apear outside Civ3, some box pop up in the middle of screen.

I guess it is not possible to make this program more advanced and make it monitor and change more data in Civ3 to work as scripting add-on, but if it would be possible to make just text apear it would add flavor to the game a lot.

Yes it should, you just have to turn tuturial on from the preferences menu in game (Tuturial Mode).

There are some interesting things in the tuturial that, if planned right, can look as if the story is actually progressing (you can actually plan for certain things to happen sometimes in game, such as getting resources in scenarios). I am using this method to the fullest extent I can. But it is still limited to what tuturial options they provide in the txt file.

It is probably hardcoded... too bad; can't add more to it.

I'm not sure if some of them work in scenarios... like First Move for instance. Perhaps it can do more than I thought though.

Tom

Is anything like that possible with Steph's editor ?
Not yet, this part of the editor is still a work in progress, but it would be relatively easy to pop up a message when you reach a turn, or rather a date (as the turn is regularly reset).

(as the turn is regularly reset).

Really ? How the game knows you've reached the max. turn variable from the editor ?

Or is your "game expander" reseting the current turn count in the savegame, allowing longer game ?

If this game had an AI editor I wouldn't see daylight again. Many people have been talking about it but no one seams to think it's possible without rewriting the game. I did ask about that but the answer I got was essentially DIY. If someone could persuade the manufacturer to release the original game code hardcore moders like Quintillus and Steph would still need to do an extraordinary amount of work. If I've overlooked something please correct me. I'd want nothing more than the computer to be able to perform a coordinated attack on me and if it can cooperate tactically with other civilisations, even better.

And so I take it that there's no way, via scripting or other, to give the AI objectives such as sending a group of units to attack a specific city, etc. ?
There's a way to make the AI declare war by a certain date, by using the submarine bug.

Basically create a dummy city hidden away in the corner of the map, next to a water tile with a non-disbandable invisible water unit owned by anohter nation, and have a building in it that spawns a unit after x turns. Then once the ship is created, it will move into the tile, and declare war.

I didn't know that one… check Plotinus' scenario, The Rood and the Dragon. In a nutshell, the Norse and Danish Vikings are bound to attack the Westerners (England, Pictavia, Gaels, Romano-British/Welsh) as soon as they reach a certain point in time… basically, they try to acquire resources only they can see and are given immobile 999.999 (att/def) units so that they always feel strong enough to do it, even if they only have two or three lousy longships and a half-dozen Berserkers.

Top Bottom