10,000 Posts: I offer a story

JerichoHill

Bedrock of Knowledge
Hit a milestone of wasting time on an internet forum? Check!
Struggle to say something meaningful? Check!

So here's a story of my morning. As most US posters know and some international posters may, there's this brewing uncertainty as to whether US Federal bureaucrats will be allowed into our buildings come next Monday. This has pretty much ground everything to a halt, sadly. My mind, this morning was on a few meetings we have today, determining something called "essential-ness" (Or who gets to show up to work when everyone else cannot by function of law).

I forgot to zip up my fly. Rode the entire metro ride, unzipped crotch. No one said anything. The powersuits on the subway never look up from their (a) Kindle (b) morning newspaper (c) Ipod, anyways. When my ride ended, I had no idea where to go for breakfast, so I'm wandering because I'm early into DC and ain't nothing happening at the office except busywork (this has been a good time to get reorganized and uncluttered).

Walk past a woman, sitting down near an Au Bon Pain. "Sir, your zipper is down!" I look over at her, mumble a thanks, rather embarrassed. Zip up. I had kept walking, but looked back. I felt she had acted somewhat like a grandmother would to a grandchild, tough to explain without being there, but it was kind. Did not even notice on my first glance she was homeless.

It would have been a shame to have continued on, or to just drop a quarter into her cup. Very kindly, I had been saved from potential office embarrassment. I continued walking to pick up breakfast at a little bistro nearby.

I don't think she expected to see me walking back. But I do think she enjoyed her breakfast very much this morning.

Kindness should never go unnoticed, especially when that's all someone has to give.

Post #10,000

Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago -- went almost the entire way to work with my fly undone, only to be stopped by a stranger who whispered me a warning in my ear. Except it was a black man who I assumed was about to mug me or something: I looked visibly scared for the few moments that he approached me and put his hand on my shoulder. Of course I thanked the man and was most pleasant in return, but he knew exactly what I was thinking from the look on my face.

The thing is, he wasn't even big or scary looking. He was kinda short and on the plump side, had a disarmingly soft voice, and was wearing a nice shirt, trousers and shoes. That day, I learnt that my subconscious is a massive racist.

If someone is kind to you, you don't have to acknowledge them by saying thank you or feel obligated to reward them with money. A simple nod is good enough.

Excellent 10,000th post! I don't really have a random act of kindness to share. I do lots of things to help other people every day, but it'd be bad karma to go on about them. I will say that I'm a Scout leader. It feels good to be able to pay it forward.

Good luck on the whole government shut-down thing. Unemployment is a nightmare to a family man.

I don't think she expected to see me walking back. But I do think she enjoyed her breakfast very much this morning.

Great story, and very cool of you to reciprocate the kindness. Cheers, JH. :salute:

Point of the story wasn't the downed fly.

In high school I was campaigning among 2000 students in a program called Youth & Government. Students from all over the state would gather for a few conferences a year. The elections were incredibly competitive and required you to be on your A-game and meet almost all of them in the 2 day period.

My fly was unzipped for most of the first day.

I think it helped me win :D

The only things I really spend money are on buy really nice presents every couple years for my Mom and buy meals for homeless people

I remember it was raining and my backpack was open. This was in the past year. No one told me! It means a lot to people when you speak up about small things like that.

How good of you to share a little of your (relative) abundance with that woman, JerichoHill. And thanks for sharing the heartwarming story with us, what a great way to pass that 10 000 posts marker. I can't offer a meal in return but perhaps I may contribute with some(body elses) wisdom:

"All you have shall some day be given; Therefore give now, that the season of giving may be yours and not your inheritors."

Kahlil Gibran, Lebanese Poet and Novelist

Great quote, I love reading Khalil Gibran. My grandfather brought his copy of The Prophet over from Beirut when his family emigrated, and it's on my bookshelf at home right now. :coffee:

I think it's nice to see that someone in DC has the heart the buy an old homeless lady breakfast. Maybe there's hope for the 'States after all.

Kudos to you sir.

I think it's nice to see that someone in DC has the heart the buy an old homeless lady breakfast. Maybe there's hope for the 'States after all.

Kudos to you sir.

A Fed even!

Very nice 10,000’th post JH (in more way that one!)

Having only passed 1000 recently, I'm happy to know there're others who have even more free time on there hands than I.

So if the Government closes down next week, JericoHill is good to go for 11,000!

If someone is kind to you, you don't have to acknowledge them by saying thank you or feel obligated to reward them with money. A simple nod is good enough.

I disagree. Kindness is not rewarded enough. A nod is of no sacrifice to me. But a full belly means the world to someone who is homeless.

Good for you man. You're the best Libertarian I've ever encountered.

If he ever was a libertarian, then this story is convincing proof that he's shed that label.

Top Bottom