1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Patine

Patine Deity

U.S. Ballot Access for a Presidential Election is not the same as Constituencies Contested in a Westminster System Election. The latter is actually, instead, an analogy of Congressional Districts or Senate Seats Contested.

Kyriakos likes this.
  2. Patine

Patine Deity

Trump, himself, is not really Pro-Family. He's not personally Socially Conservative at all. Or Fiscally Conservative, Libertarian, Military Adventurist, and certainly not a Free-Trade advocate. So, how does someone who is not personally an adherent to any of the main ideological camps of a political party get 91% approval rating within that party?

Berzerker likes this.
  3. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Because Trump is the perfect thick middle finger to the Dems ?

innonimatu and Berzerker like this.
  4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

At least the US takes war seriously.

Hrothbern likes this.
  5. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Nice!. Of course they could go the other route and declare Trump wins swing states very early and then say that the fake news has changed the voting to allow Biden to win. At midnight FoxNews declares Trump now has more than 270 electoral votes and is the winner. Since other news hasn't declared a winner, Trump gets the psychological edge. It is kind of like how Barr handled the Mueller report: declare no collusion and no obstruction and then release the report later that says yes to both. The damage is already done.

Lexicus and El_Machinae like this.
  6. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

That's effectively a version of my option B. Option A is them acting the way a news organization does on election night. Option B is any pre-resolved way of managing data to give Trump a talking point.

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Should not be an issue. Neither McCain nor Romney were born in the US. McCain was born in Panama and Romney was born in Mexico City. As the child of a US citizen, (and an active duty military one at that, as was McCain's dad), she is covered. I assume the GOP would mount a legal challenge - because of course they would - but it wouldn't have two legs to stand on.

That was a terrible joke and I'll show myself out.

mitsho, amadeus and Berzerker like this.
  8. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

And Cruz ran, even though he was born in Canada.

IglooDude and hobbsyoyo like this.
  9. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

The U.S. is totally a secular democracy yet the sitting president says that his challenger ‘hurts God’ (the Christian God, of course, who, as far as I know, hasn't been consulted in the matter). Screen crawls look like ONN articles.

Sommerswerd and hobbsyoyo like this.
  10. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

But the individual secretaries of the states and EC votes will reflect the actual votes. I don't think anything Fox could say the night of the election would change the outcome.

This is where I fell out of the movement to disqualify Barack Obama. Even if he had been born in Kenya, "native-born" citizenship* would still be conferred to him and there was no legal grounds to challenge his candidacy unless it could be proven that his mother was not an American, which nobody had ever so much as even suggested.

*I'm using it in quotes to differentiate it from citizenship acquired after birth that would be disqualifying.

IglooDude likes this.
  11. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Barry Goldwater was born in Arizona before statehood

IglooDude likes this.
  12. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I see Emperor Trump has swept away the last vestiges of the Imperial Congress.

Maybe they will impeach him now.

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I see we're at the "executive governs by emergency decree while the legislature is paralyzed" stage now

Sommerswerd and El_Machinae like this.
  14. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

What's going on now?

15. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Trying to use executive order for funding.

amadeus likes this.
  16. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

I don't know about this order, but I read it would be part of FEMA disaster funding? I don't know what powers the President has in directing funds already allotted by Congress.

I haven't followed the story closely so I don't know what the hangup is in Congress. I'm not saying they don't have a legitimate gripe against the White House, just that I don't know what wrangling is going on between the branches right now.

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Trump is trying to pay out $400/week unemployment payments by executive order, which is completely unconstitutional but

Kaitzilla likes this.
  18. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Democrats wanted 3 trillion in spending, GoP 1 trillion plus immunity for businesses for opening with Covid.

amadeus likes this.
  19. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Is that before or after tax? More than the unemployed here get. Doesn't run out though.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

1600$/month?
    Isn't that above a living wage by itself?

Any prerequisites? (like having to have worked for x years/have no other sources of income/be legally a citizen) ^_^