2020 US Election (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My advice to dems is to vote in person. Be as safe as possible but vote on the day of the election regardless of concerns over the pandemic. The more in person votes Biden gets the weaker Trump's narrative will get.
Could we think of a scenario in which Trump scares mail voters into also voting in person just in case and then accusing them of double-voting?

Chaos is brewing in Pennsylvania. (The main swing state)
All mail-in ballots must be inside TWO envelopes or they will be thrown into the trash!

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/e...lots-supreme-court-philadelphia-20200921.html
The 2020 presidential election could come down to envelopes.

The state Supreme Court in Pennsylvania
, a critical battleground state that’s seen as increasingly likely to determine who wins the White House, last week ordered officials to throw out “naked ballots” — mail ballots that arrive without inner “secrecy envelopes.” Pennsylvania uses a two-envelope mail ballot system: A completed ballot goes into a “secrecy envelope” that has no identifying information, and then into a larger mailing envelope that the voter signs.

It’s unclear how many naked ballots there will be, because this is the first year any Pennsylvania voter can vote by mail, and most counties counted them in the June primary without tracking how many there were.

But Philadelphia’s top elections official warned Monday that the court’s ruling “is going to cause electoral chaos,” lead to tens of thousands of votes being thrown out, and put the state at the center of “significant postelection legal controversy, the likes of which we have not seen since Florida in 2000.”
Joe Biden will probably get more mail-in ballots than Trump, so hopefully his voters read the instructions and use 2 envelopes. :think:

Naked Ballots might be the Hanging Chads of 2020.
Sexy.

From September 15th:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-pennsylvania-could-decide-the-2020-election/
Right now, Pennsylvania looks like the single most important state of the 2020 election. According to FiveThirtyEight’s presidential forecast, Pennsylvania is by far the likeliest state to provide either President Trump or Joe Biden with the decisive vote in the Electoral College: It has a 31 percent chance of being the tipping-point state. (That’s what happens when you take one of the most evenly divided states in the union and give it 20 electoral votes.)

In fact, Pennsylvania is so important that our model gives Trump an 84 percent chance of winning the presidency if he carries the state — and it gives Biden a 96 percent chance of winning if Pennsylvania goes blue.

Could we think of a scenario in which Trump scares mail voters into also voting in person just in case and then accusing them of double-voting?

Save for worst nightmare scenarios for down the line. Trump's almost certainly not the worst we'll see in the foreseeable future. Given his challenger (again, the only challenger ALLOWED with any chance of winning by the rigged American electoral system) is hard Establishment, and his running mate far more Establishment than many are admitting to, and that will mean a return to the old business as usual in pre-2016 governance, and almost certainly, if Trump loses, despite tonnes of predictions here to the contrary, the Republicans will almost certainly not carry on as a "Trump party," but go into their denial, throw him under the bus, and go back to the standard Establishment, themselves - like they did after Nixon and the younger Bush. This means the socio-political cancer and toxin festering in U.S. society, culture, politics, and economics - mostly across the board, not just on one "partisan side to the exclusion of the other," like is the common narrative - of which Trump was just a symptom, NOT the cause or an architect - will remain completely unaddressed, and with lack of appetite or feeling of necessity to do so, as is typical of the blindness of triumphalist politics. This very likely means there could very well be worse than Trump in the wings - perhaps someone who was actually competent, had a coherent and consistent horrid and monstrous platform, actually acted fully nasty sentiment instead of saying them in a roundabout way, and could string a coherent sentence together. Don't count your curse yet, everyone - things can always worse!

Meh... I'd say both are attracted to both. Trump got plenty of votes from men, remember...

Really, voting for Trump was the actual default majority position for white voters, I don't think we have to look to weird psychosexual pseudoscience to explain that.

Why? Please elaborate.

54% of white voters voted for Trump and 39% for Clinton, according to Pew research. So, like, the median white voter was a Trump voter. We've gotta start with that. It wasn't a niche position, it was the literal norm, especially among white men who went for Trump over Clinton at a rate nearly 2 to 1. A white American man was nearly twice as likely to be a Trump voter than a Clinton voter, presumably often out of long term loyalty to the party and acceptance of Trump, as much as active support for Trump specifically.

I think the default explanation is that the majority of white voters felt that the Republican Party in general and Trump in particular reflect their interests and resentments.

A lot of those interests and resentments were of course tied up more in status threat more than actual material hardship. After all, non-white voters with equal or greater material hardship do not as a rule go for the GOP and Trump, and they're not as a party particularly pitched at relieving material hardship. That sense of status, control, primacy etc, is in turn pretty tied up in white supremacy and perceived threats to it.

Last edited:
Save for worst nightmare scenarios for down the line. Trump's almost certainly not the worst we'll see in the foreseeable future.
I live in South America, so I don't even need to have an imagination for that, I just need to keep my eyes open.

I live in South America, so I don't even need to have an imagination for that, I just need to keep my eyes open.

Well, you might get a free helicopter ride on the state.

How can they throw him under the bus after all the ass kissing?

Really, voting for Trump was the actual default majority position for white voters, I don't think we have to look to weird psychosexual pseudoscience to explain that.

That phenomenon happens all the time with toxic, incendiary, populist demagogues, especially if they get defeated. In 1946 Germany and Italy, if you asked around, no one admitted to voting for Hitler in 1933 or Mussolini in 1924, respectively at all. There's less prominent and well-known examples too, but a lot of them. There's a rule in such nasty, cutthroat, and macho circles of power as those, "one day, you're the cock of the walk, the next you're a feather-duster." So, yes, I see Trump getting thrown under the bus by the GOP and regime of denialism and complete shift of policy - quite likely right back to the establishment - as a lot more likely than many here if he loses in 2020.

Well, you might get a free helicopter ride on the state.
Hahahaha you're so funny, you, extrajudicial executions are already happening.

Chaos is brewing in Pennsylvania. (The main swing state)
All mail-in ballots must be inside TWO envelopes or they will be thrown into the trash!

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/e...lots-supreme-court-philadelphia-20200921.html

Joe Biden will probably get more mail-in ballots than Trump, so hopefully his voters read the instructions and use 2 envelopes. :think:

Naked Ballots might be the Hanging Chads of 2020.
Sexy.

From September 15th:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-pennsylvania-could-decide-the-2020-election/

When can people start sending their votes? (ie will there be people who already have mailed their vote and it could be a "naked ballot"?)

Anyway, so much for "Biden is the sure option", if he can't even outright defeat Trump. I think I will take a long break from caring about politics.

Hahahaha you're so funny, you, extrajudicial executions are already happening.

You make it sound like their a new or recent thing in the vast majority of countries. This problem and atrocity is old hand almost everywhere.

Trump squeaked Clinton by any measure. She was a truly awful nomination. Biden is somewhat better, but Assclown has had people watching the WWE for almost 5 years now. It's like a soap opera, you're dumber for it, but you stop caring.
I wonder if this connect to the drop in ratings for actual WWE over the same period?

If you're getting your fix of choreographed conflict-spectacle from CNN, you don't need Monday Night Raw.

I wonder if this connect to the drop in ratings for actual WWE over the same period?

If you're getting your fix of choreographed conflict-spectacle from CNN, you don't need Monday Night Raw.
I'd wager there's very little overlap between Monday Night Raw viewers and CNN viewers. FOX News maybe... CNN? No.

When can people start sending their votes? (ie will there be people who already have mailed their vote and it could be a "naked ballot"?)

Anyway, so much for "Biden is the sure option", if he can't even outright defeat Trump. I think I will take a long break from caring about politics.
The mail votes started in Pennsylvania on September 14th, so 9 days ago.

270towin now has Pennsylvania as a tossup. Biden is still just under 50% on RCP, with the last 5 polls showing him at or above 50% and 8 of the last 10 showing him at or above 50%. Trump is now over 43%.
Trump announced in Pennsylvania that on Saturday he will announce his Supreme Court pick at 5pm at the White House.

The candidates are certainly paying attention to the state.

All we know about the justice is that it will be a woman.
This is to help Trump with women that don't want to vote for him.
It should also avoid a repeat of Kavanaugh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom