1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patine

Patine Deity

Funny thing is that choosing a woman doesn't seem to inherently court more female voters like the theory seems to go. Look at Palin as McCain's running mate in 2008. Hell, Hillary Clinton didn't bring in more hard habitual Republican-voting women in 2016 than Obama did in 2008 and 2012. And Ferraro didn't help Mondale at all from losing to Reagan under a landslide. And these were female Presidential ticket choices, not just a Supreme Court Justice choice prior to an election. So I think a certain myth has to be debunked here.

2. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

How do we feel about the trump administration and state level Republicans conspiring to ignore the state popular votes and trying to have republican legislatures certify the electoral votes of that state for trump, even if biden wins the state? They are discussing this openly. In Michigan for instance, they'd try to convince the Republican majority state legislature to say our 16 electoral votes go to trump even if biden carries the state. Undoubtedly, Whitmer would certify that Biden should get the votes, so that's a whole cluster

Anyways this strategy rhymes with loo and starts with a hard c to me

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

How do we feel?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Hmm, my mood is summarized by the following lines in the 2pac song Death Around the Corner:

Am I paranoid? - Tell me the truth
    I'm out the window with my AK, ready to shoot
    Ran out of indo and my mind can't take the stress,
    I'm out of breath
    Make me wanna kill my damn self

but I see death around the corner

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  5. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

The only way Biden could possibly take office is if he clearly wins, the GOP rejects the vote and picks loyal electors who change the outcome, the military leadership decides this is unacceptable, and puts him in office anyway, and that won't happen.

6. Patine

Patine Deity

If you're going to kill yourself, don't do it over Trump. He's really not the monster or dictator you and others are making him out to be. I mean, he's a wretched President, incompetent, irresponsible, apathetic, corrupt, and says horrible things on the cuff. But, as I keep saying, he's not cunning enough, doesn't have enough a coherent or solid platform enough, and is too overt yet not hardcore enough to be what you, and many others here, fear he is. George W. Bush was a lot scarier and more insidious as a President - but suddenly he's redeemed and forgiven of his sins by so many Anti-Trump types just because he openly condemned Trump .

Old Hippy likes this.
  7. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Why don't you respond to something of substance that I actually said and not me quoting a rapper?

Drakle and Sommerswerd like this.
  8. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

This is a trick question, isn't it? As soon as I tell you, you're going to say, "Well, f*** your feelings, snowflake," aren't you?

I'll still tell you, though. Bad. I feel bad.

9. Patine

Patine Deity

The REAL problem is, it's technically Constitutional, and prior to the U.S. Civil War, many State legislatures chose the Electoral Votes from their State themselves (I believe only four or five of the ten States that put forth Electoral Votes for George Washington and John Adams in 1789 actually calculated popular vote - that election was IMMENSELY a bigger deal for voters for the inaugural House of Representatives members, really - and even then, the few that voted for Washington (he was unopposed) and his VP from 13 Candidates (they were elected separately, not on a ticket back then) from the States who bothered with popular vote for the EV's had a VERY restrictive suffrage - not really much more generous the British House of Commons at the same time. The number of States who had their legislature decide their EV's dwindled over time, with South Carolina being the last in the 1860 election. After the Civil War, it was given up as a practice, and popular vote determined each State's EV's - but seemingly by voluntary agreement of the States and a few Federal statutes without Constitutional override power. This is a scary thought, indeed.

10. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

you said the quote summarized your mood

11. Patine

Patine Deity

Indeed, I've made a few song quotes to emphasize points here and there on these forums, and they do indeed tie to the point I'm making. Of course, I usually quote '90's Alternative Rock, not Rap, but the same theory.

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

youngsters

13. amadeus

amadeus The Choice of a New Generation

That’s CanCon for you!

14. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

In his latest rally Trump spoke for a while of airplanes that are "hydro-sonic". I've heard of flying dolphins but this is ridiculous.

The fail never ends.

15. amadeus

I’m guessing he meant hypersonic. We haven’t had an elected leader in 20 years that had a decent grasp of the English language.

Clinton was a master of it. That guy could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves.

hobbsyoyo, El_Machinae and Old Hippy like this.
  16. Kyriakos

You don't need a grasp of english to identify that hydro-sonic makes no sense, while hypersonic does. A less than entirely tenuous grasp of the subject you were talking about (airplanes) would have sufficed...

17. Samson

Samson Deity

You say this, but dementia makes these things much harder.

Kyriakos likes this.
  18. amadeus

I’m going to defend Trump here again (and to be fair I would for Biden too) in that he was talking about missiles, not planes, and missiles can be submarine-launched so “hydrosonic” sounds like it could be something.

That alone is not the reason I’m defending him on this point. I think their age plays a role in how their speech comes out, and having to speak in public even if one is as experienced as Trump.

Remember Obama’s “57 states?” If you asked him “how many states are there?” I know and you know he’d answer 50. But just that way the brain works and slips up sometimes when we talk.

19. Kyriakos

I think we'd be better off not to pretend that Trump is aware of what "hydro" actually means. It isn't part of the 100 words he uses virtually in all his own speeches (which is to say, his ad-libs). Even if he once knew what hydro meant or had heard it, it seems highly unlikely he still does.
    To drive the point home, his next line after speaking (for multiple times) about "hydrosonic airplanes" was to say he prefers to call them "super-duper airplanes". No use trying to pretend he isn't a cretin.

cardgame likes this.
  20. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Confusing the word hyper with hydro is one thing, posting a tweet that claims that 81% of white murders are committed by black people is another

hobbsyoyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.