31 US special forces killed in Afghanistan

It was memebers of the same unit that killed bin laden. Still no confirmation that any of the same team that killed him died in this.

Ouch. Possibly an attempt at vengeance?

It seems rather dubious that a helicopter supposedly containing members of SEAL Team Six just "happens" to be destroyed three months ,to the day, after the announcement bin Laden's death.

It's all a plan by Obama to cut the deficit by lowering expenses.

Can we keep the political rhetoric down to a minimum please? Its entirely possible that the shares of some stock I own may take a hit from this and a subsidy of a corporate parent I know even killed. So please gauge your comments to reflect that this could be personal to some here.

Can we keep the political rhetoric down here please? I actually know people who died at Hillsborough and yet people keep saying the Murdoch media is not evil.

All death is tragic.
But some deaths are more tragic than others.
I agree. Those men signed up to potentially die (and for what? what are we even doing in Afghanistan??). Many children born into the world don't even have a chance.

My condolences to their families of course but they knew what they signed on for. If you're going somewhere you have no connection with, to kill people you've never met, who've never wronged you, for a vague reason you don't even question, you can't expect too much sympathy when they kill you instead. How many Afghan & Iraqi men, women & children have US troops slaughtered so far? A million? Over a million? OMG, then killed some of us!! The barbarians!

Note : I don't support the Taliban, they're a disgusting, backwards, ideologically sick group of individuals but it was our excessive militarism & international meddling that allowed them to prosper & expand in the first place.

How many Afghan & Iraqi men, women & children have US troops slaughtered so far? A million? Over a million? OMG, then killed some of us!! The barbarians!

Well, we havent 'slaughtered' a single one. Have their been casualties of war? Absolutely, but none of those were 'slaughtered' which is merely a term to imply we kill them like we do food animals.....which simply isnt the truth.

In fact, I wouldnt hesitate to say that the Taliban themselves have killed far, far, far, MORE civilians than we have because brutal murder and the threat of same is what they use to keep remote villages in line. From a recent CNN story on it:

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-14/...ivilian-killings-georgette-gagnon?_s=PM:WORLD

UNAMA counted 1,462 civilian deaths in the period, with 80% attributed to anti-government elements. That's an increase of 28% in civilian deaths linked to militants from the same period last year.

The report attributed 14% of civilians deaths to pro-government forces, down 9% from the same period last year. The report said 6% of civilian deaths were not tied "to any party in the conflict."

There were 368 civilian deaths in May, the deadliest month for civilians since UNAMA started documenting civilian casualties in 2007. In June, 360 deaths were documented, 308 of which were tied to "anti-government elements."

War is chaos, and mistakes indeed get made in chaos and innocent people die. But we kill innocents by error or mistake, not by intention. The Taliban kill them intentionally in their bid for power in the region.

So, again, we havent 'slaughtered' a single civilian there, and in fact, as the stat above shows, we are taking great pains to try and prevent as many civilian casualties as we can.

Can we keep the political rhetoric down to a minimum please? Its entirely possible that the shares of some stock I own may take a hit from this and a subsidy of a corporate parent I know even killed. So please gauge your comments to reflect that this could be personal to some here.

Can we keep the political rhetoric down here please? I actually know people who died at Hillsborough and yet people keep saying the Murdoch media is not evil.

Moderator Action: Some politics will be allowed, US being in Afghanistan for example, but lets not make this a mudslinging competition, ok? This is a thread about people who have just died, so it'd be respectful not to be too trolly here.

It was memebers of the same unit that killed bin laden. Still no confirmation that any of the same team that killed him died in this.

It wasn't any of the guys who killed OBL. I'm not sure that really makes any difference.

None of the 22 SEAL personnel killed in the crash were part of the team that killed bin Laden in a May raid in Pakistan, but they belonged to the same unit. Their deployment in the raid in which the helicopter crashed would suggest that the target was a high-ranking insurgent figure.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-08-06-06-27-19

It rather makes sense. Your best trained soldiers are going to be doing the most dangerous missions. I don't think it requires any conspiracy to leak information, as some posters have implied.

Top Bottom