4,99$ For Babylon

DLC that charges for major content often costs far more than $5. Mongols isn't major. Therefore they're $5.

Actually, look at any other game, DLC that consists of a new playable character or faction is considered a major update and $5 is the standard price you'd find for such an update. Things upwards from $7-$10+ are usually things like packs of maps/scenarios/characters (not a single stand alone item) and mini-expansion packs. Lower than $5 goes for mostly aesthetic changes like costumes or decals. This is the trend in almost any online game now.

Technically speaking you don't really 'have' to get Civ x either :p Let's face it though if you buy Civ you did so to play hours on end of just one more turn goodness. You would have to use all of your will and might not to buy an expansion or DLC for a Civ game. It's addictive and they know it ;)

:lol:

Nope, I never played all the civs in any civ game, but I faced them all and it was not only fun, but a learning experience as well.

Fair but one could just download civilizations and it'd more or less the same experience, wouldn't it?

Anyway, my point was that I can see why some people would be up in arms for 'having' to buy additional DLC so soon after the game launches. It makes you feel like you got jipped out of something.

It's actually been a month since the game came out. There was no Day 1 DLC (Babylon came with games, not as DLC) so they're up in arms about nothing.

Actually, look at any other game, DLC that consists of a new playable character or faction is considered a major update and $5 is the standard price you'd find for such an update. Things upwards from $7-$10+ are usually things like packs of maps/scenarios/characters (not a single stand alone item) and mini-expansion packs. Lower than $5 goes for mostly aesthetic changes like costumes or decals. This is the trend in almost any online game now.

I don't consider the Mongols to be a major update but the price is reasonable in any case. :lol:

5$ that are going to be 5€ for an array with city names and one leader in 3d is ridiculous lol

Screw the civs... I have a brilliant idea for a DLC.
Let's make it 99 cents to start up the game. Not a game, the game as in launching it. Considering how often it crashes and you have to do it again, Sid would be set for life... I would also like to claim 1 cent from each transaction as my finders fee.

Hear me Firaxis/2K, forget about poxy modders of console generation or those expensive PR/ Marketing monkeys who finished an online University with a ultimate Frisbee scholarship. Hire me, NOW!

As for the original question, I suggest we ban anyone who buys any CiV DLC from these boards...

This is an absolute rip-off, but it's not really Firaxis' fault. I'm sure EA sets the pricing. But seriously, gamers have shown in the past that they will buy little $5 add-ons a la carte, and it's an incredibly profitable way to continue to gain revenue from a game that has already been released, so expect to see this even more in the future.

If every gamer would stop buying them, then they would stop with the whole DLC model. But people buy them, and therefore, money talks. I mean, people pay $0.99 - $1.19 for a single SONG on iTunes. Obviously people don't really know the value of a dollar! :)

But money talks, expect it to get worse.

5$ that are going to be 5€ for an array with city names and one leader in 3d is ridiculous lol

Yes. Because you probably have so much experience in creating animations that aren't choppy. Right? The only people who should be annoyed are people using Euros. I'm so glad that you're continuing the proud tradition of passing over the entire discussion and all the points made to just get your soapbox in.

Screw the civs... I have a brilliant idea for a DLC.
Let's make it 99 cents to start up the game. Not a game, the game as in launching it. Considering how often it crashes and you have to do it again, Sid would be set for life... I would also like to claim 1 cent from each transaction as my finders fee.

Another post that adds absolutely nothing to discussion? Perfect. Why not just rename Civ5-General Discussion to General Chat or better yet, /b/?

Hear me Firaxis/2K, forget about poxy modders of console generation or those expensive PR/ Marketing monkeys who finished an online University with a ultimate Frisbee scholarship. Hire me, NOW!

It would help if you had a point. It would help guide discussion and would make your story more interesting to the readers.

As for the original question, I suggest we ban anyone who buys any CiV DLC from these boards...

I suggest we ban idiots who are answer questions that weren't asked in the first place. Or better yet, ban people who take fives thousand words to get to the point.

This is an absolute rip-off, but it's not really Firaxis' fault. I'm sure EA sets the pricing. But seriously, gamers have shown in the past that they will buy little $5 add-ons a la carte, and it's an incredibly profitable way to continue to gain revenue from a game that has already been released, so expect to see this even more in the future.

Finally, someone reasonable (sorta).

If every gamer would stop buying them, then they would stop with the whole DLC model. But people buy them, and therefore, money talks. I mean, people pay $0.99 - $1.19 for a single SONG on iTunes. Obviously people don't really know the value of a dollar! :)

The greatly diminishing value of the dollar.

But money talks, expect it to get worse.

Can't argue with that to be honest. If prices keep increasing and people keep buying, that's entirely the customer base's fault. Look at IW's Resurgence Pack which charged $15 for five maps. Two of which were just ports from MW1.

Imagine if you bought the Digital Deluxe edition for $10 more, to get Babylon, then found out it was a free DLC. It would be unfair.

To be fair. The Deluxe Edition came with other stuff. I bought the Deluxe Edition. If Babylon was released FOR FREE I would've been mad (probably)

Yes. Because you probably have so much experience in creating animations that aren't choppy. Right? The only people who should be annoyed are people using Euros. I'm so glad that you're continuing the proud tradition of passing over the entire discussion and all the points made to just get your soapbox in.

Man... They sold me the game for 50€, or well, whatever in pounds. That means 10 sad civs lol. Furthermore they have the engine for make the animations that costs nothing now.

I miss the times when the nerds did the games just for fun. Without people thiking in make money for even the most absurd things. Good old times...

i have bought nearly every episode of this...(well now its a) drama (to me).

Civ5 cant be my favorite game anymore due to missing innovation. Its more or less the same as it ever was reduced to console Strategy. It may be more comfortable (as long as u dont choose Big Maps and large numbers of opponents), but this game isnt worth any money.

So this must be punished by us, the consumers:

DONT BUY, and if u want to have a look - get it for free.
ACTA wont stop us, we are the global consumers!

Man... They sold me the game for 50€, or well, whatever in pounds. That means 10 sad civs lol. Furthermore they have the engine for make the animations that costs nothing now.

50 Euros? Holy hell you overpaid. Wait a minute...the game came with 18 civilizations.

'Bout the same number in Civ4.

Everything costs something. The very act of turning on a computer costs money in electric bills. Nothing's free.

Civ5 cant be my favorite game anymore due to missing innovation. Its more or less the same as it ever was reduced to console Strategy. It may be more comfortable (as long as u dont choose Big Maps and large numbers of opponents), but this game isnt worth any money.

*Yawn*

So this must be punished by us, the consumers:

DONT BUY, and if u want to have a look - get it for free.
ACTA wont stop us, we are the global consumers!

Workers of the World, Unite!

Commie.

In any case, now that you're finished here, that's one less person who has fail to give a point for me to deal with. Great. I can already feel my blood pressure go down.

I miss the times when the nerds did the games just for fun. Without people thiking in make money for even the most absurd things. Good old times...

Let's assume that the engine for their animations is this all powerful program that can make anything the company wants. They'd still have to pay for the creation of those animations in labor, electrical power, and time. It's those pesky absurd things that keep all this stuff from being free.

I think 5.00 is way to much for one civ, I would rather see 5.00 for two civs, or 2.50 for one. 5.00 would be good for an extra pack of wounders though. In the end you cant blame the company, its all the people that buy dlc if they can make money at it why would they not charge the most they can for dlc then in a few months they drop the price its a good buisness model.

I think 5.00 is way to much for one civ, I would rather see 5.00 for two civs, or 2.50 for one. 5.00 would be good for an extra pack of wounders though. In the end you cant blame the company, its all the people that buy dlc if they can make money at it why would they not charge the most they can for dlc then in a few months they drop the price its a good buisness model.

I wouldn't pay $5 for Wonders.

To really decide if $5 is too much, we will need to look at the costs of them starting up the computer, running the program, how much the guy is being paid, etc and factor in the fact they have to make a profit.

Ok, I don't care... If you wanna give 5€ to 2k Games for an array and a cool leader, go on. I'm not going to stop you.

I assume that the times when companies make free content are over lol. Maybe in 2014 2k charge us for make a patch and finish the game, but who knows...

I expect the Babylon download will be free for me... I bought Civ with direct-2-drive, and get the first DLC content free, Hmmm either that of the Mongol one will be extra free.....

$5 for a civ is too much. Considering they're selling it through steam which has (or should have, if valve isn't evil) no overhead costs.

I'd pay $1. Maybe $2. Though even then it's not good value compared to the content of the rest of the game for the price you paid.

Ok, I don't care... If you wanna give 5€ to 2k Games for an array and a cool leader, go on. I'm not going to stop you.

I assume that the times when companies make free content are over lol. Maybe in 2014 2k charge us for make a patch and finish the game, but who knows...

I'm not paying 5 euros. I'm paying 5 dollars. Maybe that's the difference?

Again, tell me what's wrong with charging people to cover the costs of creating the leaderhead? Next you're be demanding free satellite.

Top Bottom