1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

5 city conquest challenge

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by t3h_m013, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Opac

Opac Chieftain

I feel that we should trash our rep if it means that we wont be facing rifles, before we are ready for it. Sumeria seems to be the biggest threat, so eliminating it would be very nice even if we have to pay a big price for it.

2. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

as far as i can tell the common cnosensu (sp) is to go to war and not worry bout rep. shall we just put it to a vote? with absteins allowed? than hajime can play following the result of the vote?
    i abstein

3. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

I vote against it, then. But I won't be able to play untill late tonight - heading out to meet a client within the next hour or two.

4. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

I want the war and the horse + gem.

Or at least this game moving again.

5. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

6. gozpel

We already swapped turns, Hajime. You were supposed to set me up for this decision :)

I can play another turnset if you're hesitant of the moves. Just to get this moving.

We're stalling.

7. grs

grs nameless one

Please play your turns. There is no problem skipping or swapping if you are out of time, but a swap because you fear the turns? How are you going to improve your game by watching gozpel play? Bad luck if you screw it, but don't think so low of yourself beforehand.

8. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

k.... all agreed hajime plays the turns asap and goes to war and well just see what happens

9. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

Turn 0: Nothing

Turn 1: Captured and destroyed Bad-Tibira and Umma.
    Tweaked it so we now have Horses in our cultural borders. YAY.
    Made a colony on a source of iron near Umma - we now have iron! YAY!

Turn 2: Saw the comp invading from behind us...SO I WENT AFTER THEM!
    Scores: Lost 1 Swordsman, killed a Crusader and an Enkidu warrior - they were left with 1 medival infantry at 2 health! BWAHAHAHA!

Turn 3: Prepared to take Ur.
    Showed the comp why you don't attack a human player on his own ground - right now, the kill ratio stands at 3:1 after all this.

IBT: The comp showed me what I showed the comp :(.

Turn 4: Began the taking of Ur. Current kill ratio: 13:1 - and only 'cause I lost a swordsman in the process! :p
    Promo'd vet Knight to Elite

Turn 5: Had a 1-health Swordsman, saw the comp trying to run a 2-health elite crusader back to base. Decided to take a risk - killed it! Unfortunately, will lose it IBT next turn, but hell, a swordsman for a Crusader? Heck yeah :p
    Captured Ur!
    Sold the Barracks in Ur, Razed Ur.
    Began sniping at incoming troops in our territory.

Turn 6-10: Building, sniping. Average kill ratio of 4:1.
    Spain traded us Gems for Wines.
    Founded a new city.
    Sums up the rest of the turns really.

Pausing my turn here: Do we want to keep Ur, as it has both the Pyramids and the Sistine Chapel, or get rid of it guys?

Also an FYI: We can probably wipe the Sumerians entirely from this continent - in the rest of my turn, I can probably take out half of their empire on this continent. However, minor problem - other civs will just settle there. Suggestions on how to stop other civs from settling opened land? What's the plan? As it is, I've destroyed the Sumerians main city, and some major producers.

10. grs

grs nameless one

Pyramids has about no worth to us, Sistines has no worth now, may have some later. Since we have only 5 cities we cant take any flip risk, so raze it and settle in the proposed spot. Guess you are glad you played the turns yourself ;) - reads very good so far :thumbsup:

11. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

12. gozpel

Great job so far Hajime. :)

13. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

But this brings up the old question.

Do I just destroy enough Sumerian cities to settle where we want? Do I keep the war on? Do I use the war as a way to chip away at Sumerian resources, or do I continue the attack and leaderfarm? Do I try to remove the Sumerians from the game entirely? What do I do, guys? :p

I'm not sure on what to do at this point, because the team plan seemed to not really go beyond the whole Sumerian war thing. :p

14. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

lurker's comment: I think you can learn more by telling others what you think should be done and let others comment on it. If you are torn between several alternatives, list the pros and cons. Put some thought in even if it's wrong instead of simply do what others tell you to do. :)

15. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

16. gozpel

Did you sign any alliances? If not, just take out the towns you need to plop down our town (The 4 I crossed out on the pic before)

If you did sign alliances, you can take it slow and just save the units. After you got rid of the towns I mentioned :) Let the other AI fight. But then, you didn't mention any allies, so I figure you didn't sign any.

As you see, that's all we need for now really. Horses and Gems + iron that you pinched already. Major thing was to get the new town where I suggested, after that peace is as good as anything.

17. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

No alliances were signed, Gozpel. There was no need.

Pah. Well, no leader farming for me then, it looks like! ;)

18. gozpel

It's up to you, if you want to try to get a leader or two. If you have the means for it and can afford it, I'm not stopping you :)

19. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

it seems we have the upper hand (from what hajime wrote) if that is the case it may be worth raizing a few more core cities and really cripple sumeria, resettled cities will always be pretty rubbish, and another leader would be nice. however i guess the upper hand may have just been in how it was wrote, in which case get peace quickly. trade for tech and gpt??

20. gozpel

If the new save comes out before Christmas, we might know. :)