1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

5 city conquest challenge

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by t3h_m013, Oct 6, 2004.

1. LulThyme

LulThyme King

Im assuming jb 1964 is jon, so this is my got it.
    Give me a good 20 hours at least, as I have to read up the last few posts carefully.

2. LulThyme

LulThyme King

Start : Well the big boyz seem to be russia and rome, but since we are trading with russia, I decide to start building an eventual invasion force against rome. Our invanding force wont get stronger for a while, but their defense will so this is not a bad time to attack.
    So I start building some Galleons
    IBT Axis of Evil Sumeria and Rome sign a trade embargo against us
    renew peace with Sumeria
    Paris finishes Shakespeare
    IBT Russia declares war on Romans, France declare war on Russians
    1360 Peace with England
    1365-1370 Boring
    IBT French declare on England
    IBT Russians enter our territory with lots of troops, while part of our army is in ships on way to Rome :)
    1380 Ask to leave and we are at war with Russia, ships are being recalled of course :)
    I should probably have done this earlier, but I decided to rush the Military Academy with our Leader, we will get another one before we can use him, I think (Since we are at war, and I dont want to waste our elite fights)
    I got another Great Leader on the same turn, so that was a sound plan :)
    Raze 4 Russian cities
    IBT Lose 2 colonies to Sumerian settling
    1385 Raze 1 Russian city
    IBT Scandinavia sign peace with england
    1390 Raze 2 Russian cities, Sumer has Communism
    IBT Romans sign MPP with French which declare war on us!!
    IBT Scandinavia and Sumeria sign MPP
    1400 Raze one or two more Russian cities

Conclusion : had to raise lux to 10%, did no research (your choice to change this or not, this was the setting at start and couldnt find indications on this, we are very rich though :) )
    Only tech we dont have is Communism that Sumer has.
    We are at war with Russia, Rome and France.
    The Russians have been kicked out of the northern peninsula, and of the other continent, and lost 6-7 cities in their main area, and we are approaching their core.
    Roman and Russia are both ready for peace, though I would keep fighting the Russians until Rome or France put any pressure (I still have to see any French or Roman unit), specially since we are nearing the point when we can do important permanent damage to the russians..
    It might also be wise to set up a permanent blockade near the silk to prevent sumer expansion (we cant prevent culture, but at least new settling.
    Also, Im building Riflemen right now, as in the long term they are better than Cavalry but feel free to change the builds.
    Also dont be afraid to use the leader to rush a Cathedral or whatever. I probably should have used the other one also, as its easy to generate lots of elite wins.
    We also have 8 Galleons from my try at an invasion, which should come in useful after we make Peace with the Russians.

also small note, this is my first max number of city game, so there are two city I didnt raze on taking by mistake, but abandonned immediatly without doing anything else, I think thats nots a problem, just wanted to make sure...

3. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

good turns (Y). I think if we just keep razing cities, and eventually declare war against everyone on our continent and wipe it itll take a while for the AI to realise and resettle.
    LulThyme your up unless hajime is playing and posts before you

4. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

He already played, I suppose you meant me :)

Good workout last players. Can anyone show a map?

LulThyme:
    Great choice :thumbsup: Sleeping leaders are a pain in xCC and we can always get more. Some serious warmongering there and we are sitting good.

But we don't want to be in wars with many opponents for ever, we should try to calm it down a bit and then launch when we're ready again.

5. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

sorry, i remember posting that post before lulthyme had posted (or maybe i just didn't see it) so well done to lulthyme too :D
    i think that means your up then
    gozpel - up
    t3h_m013 - on deck
    jb1964
    lulthyme - just played
    hajime - lert us know if your gonna need to skip.

6. LulThyme

LulThyme King

Yeah, I seriously advise using the Leaders to rush whatever, if theres no small wonder available for a while.
    We are at 10% lux so even a Cathedral would not be wasted, or maybe universities if we expect to do research.
    We have maybe 10-12 elites, and are winning maybe 5-6 elite fights a turn (and this is going up as our good troops, cav and rifleman are becoming elite) so basically sitting leaders are a waste.

Here is a screenshot:
    you can see the progress with the Russians, and also a hint of the new cities of the Sumerians which cost us 2 (non essential) colonies.

As I said, the Romans and French havnt done anything yet so its not a problem.
    We could make peace with at least the Romans at least (I think theyre still asking for gold though, not sure)...

Another small thing, we have a heck of a lot fo worker. Only about half are needed to keep up with military in terms of roads and rails.
    Thats a very small detail, but we might want to disband the 6 that are costing us upkeep, as the number we have will only go up anyway...

Attached Files:

• 1400.JPG
      1400.JPG
      File size:
      200.3 KB
      Views:
  7. gozpel

Ok, I got it.

8. gozpel

Pre-turn - All cities are building rifles, I change that to cavs.

MM cities for commerce without delaying builds and we gain another 23gpt.

We have a lot of gold, use some to rush a few cavs.

We have 10 turns left on the peacedeal with Sumeria, so I can't do anything about them.
    Rome wants 200g for peace, I wait.

We are spread thin offensively, but with our gold I think I can sort that out the next few turns.

1405AD - We lose an elite knight IT.

I rush cathedral in Leipzig with the leader.

Attack Irkutsk, remove 2 pikes and a MI without losses, raze the city.

Attack Barcelona, lose a cav and have to wait a turn before I can continue.

Line up a dozen cavs by Smolensk, to attack it next turn.

1410AD - Our army takes out a pike and 2 conscript rifles and raze Barcelona.

Smolensk is guarded by 3 pikes and a LB, kill them all without losses and raze the town.

I continue on Madrid, kill 2 pikes and a spear and raze the city. Lost a cav there.

Work on the railnet and find that I can attack Seville too, why not? The more cities I can take soon, the less units I will meet.

2 cavs easily kills 2 pikes and raze Seville. This opens up a route to Murcia and Santiago.

Murcia falls at the loss of one cav.
    I'm one unit short of taking Santiago.

1415AD - Santiago is razed, a bunch of cavs and the army needs healing. The rest moves towards St Petersburg.

Try some leaderfishing, no luck.

1420AD - Try some more leaderfishing, 4 elites wins but no luck.

Attack St Petersburg, kill 2 rifles, 2 pikes and a LB and raze the city and gain 14 slaves!
    No losses.

1425AD - Yakutsk is razed at the cost of 2 cavs. I hate those super-pikes.

Orenburg is next, 3 pikes and a LB can't defend against our cavs. Raze the city and we lost another elite cav.

Build a colony on Ivory and luxtax back to zero.

Sort out the railnet and attack Yaroslavl, 3 cavs takes out a rifle and 2 pikes and we raze the city.

1430AD - France destroy England.

Sumeria snuck in a town and messed up our transportation-net.

We raze Rostov, lose a cav.

1435AD - Fix the railnet.

Attack Moscow, it's guarded by a rifle, 6 pikes and a LB. We only lose one cav, as they retreat beautifully and we raze the city. Got a leader.

Move everything we have to the last 3 russian cities, I hope we can get rid of them next turn.

1440AD - Vikings demands Astronomy, I tell them to shove it and they declare war :lol:

Rush uni in Munich with the leader.

Vladivostok and Novgorod are razed, we lose one cav. We can't take the last city this turn.

1445AD - Yekaterinburg is gone and so is Russia.

1450AD - Peace-deal with Sumeria is over and we can take them out. I let next player have some fun, so I set up a few cavs here and there.

Don't forget to check for landing up north every turn, enemy ships are around.

Established embassy with Spain and sent them against Romans, that should remove them from the game too.

When we have our continent, there are some galleons that other players very thoughtfully built. I only built cavs and more cavs, sometimes rushing them, so I depleted our gold quite well. :)

Have fun.

9. LulThyme

LulThyme King

Very good turns.
    Sumeria are obviously the next to go, should be finished by next player's turn.
    Using the leaders like you did is best for now I think.
    We could start building a bigger navy maybe, while destroying Sumeria, to get ready to attack the big island.

10. gozpel

I think we had 8 galleons sitting around, so another galleon or two won't hurt, plus a few frigates.

That will be easily done within the next turnset, as we wipe the Sumerians off the planet.

I think I took 16 Russian cities and Sumeria only have 12, so it should be an easy task. But we still have some gold to spend, so rush more cavs if it's needed.

Meanwhile, do we want to go at France or Rome? We can move the ships to a better point, while we're dealing with Sumeria.

11. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

i would say finish off sumeria and then play the rest of the game basically as AW with a good rail network and some cavs to stop the AI settling on our continent.
    i would say attack rome first fromt the map (not sure how powerful they are though) as i think itll be easier to prevent resettlement at the choke point.
    gozpel - just played
    t3h_m013 - up (didn't notice that :D)
    jb1964 - on deck
    lulthyme -
    hajime - lert us know if your gonna need to skip.
    ill probably start this afternoon, i dunno if ill get to the romans in those turns so ill just wipe out the sumerians and not worry about waiting for response to my stategy (sp)
    tim

12. jb1964

jb1964 Hunter of Fish

Set up the transports for me to pay a visit to the Romans.

With a railnet in place and so many slaves we could burn some of them for watchtowers.

13. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

ok, i wiped out the sumerians in 6 turns. in the next 4 ill set up watchtowers... and continue building up galleons (berlins been building them for 6 turns.)
    ill probably leave the actual invasion to you

14. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

ibt: france declare war on us... pwned
    1455AD change berlin to galleons, for later. declare war on sumeria.
    Raze anshan with 1 loss.
    Raze tutub with 2 losses.
    Raze sumer with no losses
    Raze babil with no losses
    Raze katallu with the grand total of 1 lost hitpoint :p
    ibt, loose a cav or 2 too roaming sumerian rifles.
    1460AD raze ive forgotten what it was called. the city east of canterbury with no losses.
    raze kisurra with no losses
    the attack on kish fails miserably. 6 cavs manage to kill only a single rifle.
    ibt: more annoying rifles
    1465AD
    loose a cav attacking an enkido waaaay u north but raze khabarovsk anyway.
    get a leader attacking dabrum, theres nothing worth rushing (only hamburg lacks a cathedral and it can build one in 2 turns.) so i keep him and will use the cav army more daringly.
    loose 2 cavs at kish, still dont raze it.
    1470AD raze dabrum.
    finally raze kish along with newtons.
    raze hastings with no losses.
    1475AD raze apisala.
    raze Erich.
    ibt: rome land 4 knights in our land. Sumeria kill a few things with rifles.
    1480AD raze canterbury with no losses and destroy the (not so) glorious sumerians.
    raze some french town.
    we are now alone on our continent
    Build outpost and start organising trooops.
    1485AD Prganise troops etc.
    1490AD build up navy on costal cities, more cavs inland
    change cavs to rifles.
    1495AD same old ting
    1500AD small invasion, cleared up easily with about 3 promotions as a bonus.
    Basically Navy is in berlin, Canons and cavalry are in seperate cities and the main bulk of our workers are fortified north of berlin.

go woop some roman ass

15. jb1964

jb1964 Hunter of Fish

I will get it when it's posted. :)

Very nice turns Mole. :goodjob: And a big thank you for setting the forces up.

16. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

salll good (Y) im quite proud of them myself really :D

17. jb1964

jb1964 Hunter of Fish

Ummmm, I still need the save...

18. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

sorry i was sure i had postecd it, its there now though

19. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

sorry i was sure i had posted it, its there now though
    sorry, repeated post

20. jb1964

jb1964 Hunter of Fish

Turn 0 – 1500 AD
    It’s AW.
    We have gotten rid of all our workers and the cost that went with them.
    The Romans have destroyed the Spanish.

Turn 1 – 1505 AD
    France has Electricity.
    Romans are stronger than us. Gathering forces and loading up on galleons to destroy the roman countryside. Turned a few more worker/slaves into watchtowers.

Turn 2 – 1510 AD
    France drops off two cavalry and an LB.
    8 cannons and 3 cavalry take care of the landing party.

Turn 3 – 1515 AD
    France lands 5 cavalry, a musket and a LB.
    We scrape together all the forces on our continent to kill all of them.
    Set massive force sailing towards Rome.

Turn 4 – 1520 AD
    This turn they drop off a cav, LB and 2 rifles.
    We kill off the latest visitors but loose a cavalry.

Turn 5 – 1525 AD
    No landings this time.
    Forces are one turn from landing in Rome.

Turn 6 – 1530 AD
    We land cannons, cavalry, a few rifles and our army just outside of Rome.

Turn 7 – 1535 AD
    I am more than a little amused that Caesar wants to talk. He ask for peace at the cost of 100g. Pfft!
    A Viking galley that approached our shores turns around after I bombed it to 1 hp.
    We go on a massive pillaging campaign against the Romans.

Turn 8 – 1540 AD
    Roman workers run for their lives.
    Viking galley is sunk by our galleon.
    Rome is disconnected from the rest of their cities.

Turn 9 – 1545 AD
    Roman counter attacks our cavalry, all parked on hills and mountains, and puts a serious hurt on our forces.
    Yikes, there’s a Beserker in our land and I didn’t catch it until he attacked Leipzig.
    We managed to take out 4 French ships that were the victims of shore bombardment. BTW, we have 8 cannons back home that have been putting a nice dent in French ships as they sail around the coast.
    Rome wasn’t burnt in a day. It took exactly 3 turns.
    Do you think it would have been a better idea to leave Rome disconnected rather than give them a "free" palace jump?
    I’ll run the units into the now unoccupied territory, under the cover of our army, and let them heal.

Turn 10 – 1550 AD
    We sink a French frigate and two gallies.
    Our forces ~30 retreat to neutral territory.