Bamspeedy

CheeseBob
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/22/youtube.divorce.ap/index.html

Husband wins divorce from angry wife in YouTube video

Story Highlights

*Anger-ridden YouTube video has attracted more than 3 million hits
*Judge rules prenuptial agreement, signed weeks before their wedding, was valid
*Walsh-Smith, a former actress and playwright, calls decision 'disgusting'

NEW YORK (AP) -- A Broadway mogul whose wife trashed him in a widely viewed Internet video was granted a divorce from her Monday.

A Manhattan judge gave Philip Smith a divorce from Tricia Walsh-Smith on the grounds of cruel and inhuman treatment.

Walsh-Smith lashes out against Smith in the tearful and furious YouTube video, which has attracted more than 3 million hits. She makes embarrassing claims about their intimate life and then calls his office to repeat those claims to a stunned assistant.

On the video, Walsh-Smith also goes through their wedding album, describing family members as "bad," "evil" or "nasty," and expresses concern about eviction from the couple's luxury apartment.

Judge Harold Beeler blasted Walsh-Smith for her video stunt, which he called "a calculated and callous campaign to embarrass and humiliate her husband" and to pressure him into settling the divorce case on more favorable terms than were stated in their prenuptial agreement.

"She has attempted to turn the life of her husband into a soap opera by directing, writing, acting in and producing a melodrama," the judge said. Watch angry wife's rant on YouTube »

He said Monday that the prenuptial agreement, signed three weeks before the couple's 1999 wedding, was valid. This means that Walsh-Smith must leave their Park Avenue apartment within 30 days and that Smith, president of the Shubert Organization, the largest theater owner on Broadway, must pay her $750,000.

Smith said after the ruling he was "sorry it had to come to this."

"I'm happy with the decision of the judge, and I'm happy with the outcome," he said.

Walsh-Smith, a former actress and playwright, didn't see the decision the same way.

"I think it's disgusting," she said. "I'm really, really disappointed with the decision."

She accused Smith of "basically throwing me out on the street." One of her attorneys, Joseph P. McCaffery, said they would appeal.

Renowned divorce attorney Raoul Felder briefly represented Walsh-Smith after she made the video. Felder previously said his client was "acting out of passion."

"This is a victim who is holding her head up," he said. "I think she comes off well."

Anybody actually have sympathy for this woman?

Wow, I just watched her first video and my opinion is she is a snobby Brit who did all this because if he died his $60 million estate would have gone to his daughters rather than her. She was claiming after the divorce she will be living in a tent and was asking people for donations. And passing off her 'crusade' (for the money) as a feminist movement. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx_WKxqQF2o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RoPtyJDWHg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igsCHqBLerc

"How DARE YOU PEOPLE criticize ME!" -Tricia Walsh-Smith

$750,000? She can move here to Butler, buy a nice house for under $150,000 and have $600,000 left for fun, which should last her at least 20 years.

:lol:

OK, now I dare anybody to claim that real life doesn't write better soap operas than those pesky writers that recently went on strike :lol:

That's hilarious. That's the entire point of prenups. If they could randomly be deemed not valid, I just wouldn't be getting married.

That's cool of you to sign a pre-nup. It lets you know you love her not just for her money. ;)

Cleo

The guy reminds me of that older rich guy in that lawyer TV show where he has like a clot in his brain and he's always happy, despite that he wants to mourn when his wife dies.

$750,000? She can move here to Butler, buy a nice house for under $150,000 and have $600,000 left for fun, which should last her at least 20 years.

most people like civilization.

but regardless, why should i care about a couples personal life? why should anyone here?

most people like civilization.

but regardless, why should i care about a couples personal life? why should anyone here?

Likes and fulfilling needs are two totally different things. Hell, I'd like a vacation home in Aspen, Colorado.

No, I don't have any sympathy whatsoever for this woman. However, I must say I've seen other women doing much worse things with their marriage and family than this. I don't care that you don't believe me. This one is simply being a greedy jerk that has no respect whatsoever for her husband and sees him an enemy, only trying to get more of his money from the divorce. I've seen stuff that was way more deeply wrong than that.

Why the hell did the guy even marry her if they neve had sex ?
Isn't this the entire point of having a stupid wife less than half your age ?

I understand $750,000 is some very nice real estate in Texas.

Not to take sides, just to comment on the 'homelessness'.

I suspect that the husband won't be paying the $ 750,000 anytime soon since he'll want to delay payment as long as possible, but she's been ordered to vacate the apartment within 30 days.

Top Bottom