A&E and the new forums

Plotinus

Philosopher
Retired Moderator
You may have noticed that we've replaced Off-Topic with two new forums. Details are here.

One of the things we're thinking of doing is perhaps merging some of the other Colosseum forums into one or both of the two new forums. That is the reason for this thread, to see if users of A&E would support such a thing. I know that some people were very keen to have this forum set up, and they may not want to lose it again. On the other hand, it may be that some of the reasons for setting it up are equally met by having the distinction between the two OT forums, and there's no longer such a need for it. So please let us know what you think here.

I quite like checking this forum periodically without having to go into what was the old off topic.

Not 100% where the threads in here would sit either as most aren't that serious.

They would go to whichever OT-forum the starter chooses. A&E wouldn't be merged with one of them, it just ceases to exist.

They would go to whichever OT-forum the starter chooses. A&E wouldn't be merged with one of them, it just ceases to exist.

Yes I was aware that Plotinus was suggesting that the forum would no longer exist. If the threads are split into two forums then I probably wouldn't bother checking either.

Well it has both good and bad points, as an idea. The bad is that i am sure many threads will suffer a decrease in quality when moved to the tavern forum which is as to be expected full of drunks ;)

The good is that finally we can have some serious art threads in the serious ot forum, such as the (doomed here due to trolls) favorite painting thread. Remember how the art forum started as a serious artistic discussion forum? It ended up being mostly lighthearted (and that is mostly a euphemism).

closing this forum and telling people to post their threads in either one of the ot successors makes as much sense as closing history, sports, computer talk and science and tell people to do that.

make of that what you want.

On the upside, this forum has been dead for years, and might as well get moved over.

On the downside, most of the threads would end up in the Taberna meaning no PC meaning I wouldn't be as inclined participate in the threads as much. Also way more unmoderated Pettyness...So...yeah, don't move it.

As someone who posts and visits on this forum irregularly, I'd like see some A&E threads get more attention as they would in OT, but it'd be a shame if they got ignored and shouted down by other OT threads. I think it would be reasonable to start a few new A&E threads in the new OT forums and see how they work out before making a permanent decision. I'm actually working on a thread topic now that would fit in A&E, but that I will be posted in OT-Civilium. We'll see how that goes.

I'm very concerned with what would happen with the DYOS series. It may have originated in OT many years back. But it has evolved through out the years where it became a serious project and community. I'd hate to see it lumped with the less serious threads like what happened when it was moved from OT to Forum Games.

On the upside, this forum has been dead for years, and might as well get moved over.
It hasn't existed for THAT long, Owen. Let's not exaggerate, 'k? :huh:

I'm very concerned with what would happen with the DYOS series. It may have originated in OT many years back. But it has evolved through out the years where it became a serious project and community. I'd hate to see it lumped with the less serious threads like what happened when it was moved from OT to Forum Games.
I speak here for the continued existence of the Arts & Entertainment forum AND for the continued presence of the Draw Your Own Story activities IN the Arts & Entertainment forum. This is the most suitable place for creative projects like DYOS and any other projects people might want to start.

Plotinus, do you recall the last request I made of you when I stepped down as a moderator? I requested that you allow DYOS to stay here, and you agreed. By all means, let the spam be filtered out of this forum. There's a lot of it. But that's not to say that there's nothing of value here, or that nothing of value would take the place of the spam.

This is still a young forum. Please give it a chance.

It's kinda sad that the only things that happen in this forum are DYOS things (legit), aimee threads (whatever), and the odd rarely-updated TV show-specific thread (even more whatever). I mean, DYOS validates its existence, but still.

I vote nay. Keep it as it is.

Leave it. Plenty of stuff that should be kept separate.

I prefer to keep it separate. Yes, it doesn't have heavy traffic, but as others have said, it
would have even less in OT because it would be too much bother to sift through all the OT garbage to get to it.

Top Bottom