Afgnan Quran Burning Protests

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordRahl

The Objectivist
Anyone else finds it ironic that a country that's 72% illiterate gets so crazy about book burning.

If only they were as passionate in their protests whenever Taliban stones their women or blows up innocent bystanders, maybe they would advance a few centuries closer to ours.

Finally - why the hell are we still there? Time to GTFO.

Once again, the rationality of those people is revealed when they're willing to kill over a book.
Spoiler for size :

Remember: Politicaly and socialy, Afghanistan is effectively in the middle ages for the most part. If you went around Bible burning in medieval Europe, I don't think you would last very long. Heck, even in parts of modern America if I went around burning Bibles my life would end rather quickly.
Also, I would be hesitant in assigning the cause of the protests solely to the Quran burning. I mean, we are occupying their country and killing their fellow countrymen. That certiantly cannot be fostering good relations. It is more or less the same thing the Russians had to deal with.

Please don't turn this thread into another battleground for the Islam vs. Christianity debate :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes, it's an overreaction to start riots over burnt books. But after 10 years in this country, we really should know better not to burn Qurans in the first place.

Heck, even in parts of modern America if I went around burning Bibles my life would end rather quickly.
I don't recall Penn and Teller getting a lot of death threats when they drilled a hole through a Bible on their TV show.

I'm not going to look whether they got them over that, but they have gotten lots of death threats in their career.

Heck, even Dawkins gets them.
Please don't turn this thread into another battleground for the Islam vs. Christianity debate :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes, it's an overreaction to start riots over burnt books. But after 10 years in this country, we really should know better not to burn Qurans in the first place.
You speak sooth!

Article from the BBC:
They have seen off the Russians and the British before and now it is America's time that is drawing to a close, with the British and other Nato allies eager to depart with them.

The revelation that US troops had dumped copies of the Koran into an incineration pit may hasten that end.

At the very least, it has provided an open goal for the Taliban and anyone else who wants to provoke anti-American and anti-foreigner sentiments.

There are few more emotive issues in Afghanistan than allegations of the Islamic holy book being desecrated.

It has triggered violent disturbances as far back as 2005 - even when the claims of the Koran being mishandled have not been substantiated.
There is quiet fury within the Afghan government towards the Americans at what one official calls their "brainless" behaviour.

They are making the "same mistakes as the Russians" says Afghan analyst Omar Safi - failing to respect the Muslim religion.

"No-one should die because of a few books being set on fire," one Afghan official told me on condition of anonymity.

But "that is no excuse" he said, for American actions.
From recent episodes of troops urinating on Taliban bodies to the many instances of civilians being killed over the past 11 years, attitudes towards the Americans have progressively hardened.

There is also widespread frustration at how little has changed, despite the huge quantities of money that have poured in here.

In the main battleground areas of southern and eastern Afghanistan, there are fewer outdoor wedding parties these days - because they have been bombed so many times by US pilots who think they are seeing Taliban gatherings from thousands of feet up.

The US and its Nato allies rightly argue the Taliban kill far more civilians with their suicide and other attacks.

But the Americans are the ones who claim to uphold the highest standards.

What is more, the US doctrine is supposed to be "to protect the population".

So this is how they are judged.

And as has been said so many times in the past, there is no military solution in Afghanistan. It is ultimately a battle for perceptions.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17140569

Also, I would be hesitant in assigning the cause of the protests solely to the Quran burning. I mean, we are occupying their country and killing their fellow countrymen. That certiantly cannot be fostering good relations. It is more or less the same thing the Russians had to deal with.

Exactly. This goes way beyond just burning a book...it speaks to concerns about a western country occupying their territory and culture.

They did this before when that crazy pastor down in Florida put the Koran on trial for war crimes.

I don't expect these to last that long.

... But after 10 years in this country, we really should know better not to burn Qurans in the first place.

According to the CNN article, it was something of an accident. A mistake - not deliberate.

If you were an Afghan, no doubt such a thing would be an outrage.

You know, making blanket statements from the left is still making blanket statements.

Among the rules of etiquette for handling the American Flag:
The American flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
Shouldn't be such a gigantic surprise what Americans are going to do with a Koran that's been defaced.

I'm not a Muslim. In fact, I'm an atheist. I see no reason why I should be expected to know and respect the traditions of a religion I don't practice.

I'm not a Muslim. In fact, I'm an atheist. I see no reason why I should be expected to know and respect the traditions of a religion I don't practice.

Because it's uh, respectful to do so?

Among the rules of etiquette for handling the American Flag:

Shouldn't be such a gigantic surprise what Americans are going to do with a Koran that's been defaced.

Perhaps if you're in the middle of a country of 30 million or so, you could take a moment to learn something about them before acting. You know, just an idea.

More evidence against ever invading Afghanistan... these people don't want what we are offering. Withdraw the army, give asylum to those wanting it, and GTFO. Asylum for those wanting it is the least we can do.

How exactly is one supposed to dispose of a Koran (or other sensitive text)?

Traditionally, they're wrapped in cloth and placed in storage or a cave or buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom