All leader portraits

At this point I'm left believing that B5 is the Golden Horde & C5 is Suleiman of the Ottomans. That turban is too iconic.

On another note, how interesting a Holy Roman Emperor (Fred Barbarossa) & a Holy Roman Empress (Isabella of Portugal). When you take into account that Felipe II of Spain is Felipe I of Portugal & Isabella's son, this makes for entertaining feudal concepts.

No. I was talking about E1. Whether that is actually Phillip II or not.

It's almost certainly Felipe II of Spain/Filipe I of Portugal & the Algarves from what I can see

Georgia hasn't ever really been important
While it isn't on par with China or Spain, I think Georgia deserves to be in the game, but not in the basegame.

It has an interesting culture and at its height had an empire controlling Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and parts of Iran and Turket.

Really cool reading back some of the discovery made in this thread. The g nation is curious, wonder what it could be - the amount of options is relatively small

While it isn't on par with China or Spain, I think Georgia deserves to be in the game, but not in the basegame.

It has an interesting culture and at its height had an empire controlling Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and parts of Iran and Turket.

What is interesting culture according to you? According to me interesting culture is quite subjective.

I will be very, very surprised if C5 isn't an Ottoman sultan. Someone mentioned it previously, but Tomyris of Scythia, besides being a 'big personality' with a capital P, is a perfect fusion of Mongols (Eurasian steppes-dwelling, warlike nomadic culture), and Persia (as cousins, being an Iranian people). Also fits the TSL location nicely. I think that's a big point.

She just takes a good bit of the need for having Mongols and Persia there in the base game, if she's in it. So we get to vary up the Mongols, include a very interesting female leader, and also cover for Persia and free up another slot. I see a lot of win for Firaxis in that. Of course the Persian civilization isn't represented with its achievement by the Scythians, but in some way they are a glimpse of their own origins descending from the Eurasian steppes, no?

I was going to be very sad if Persia wasn't in the base game but I have no problem with it actually, as long as we have Tomyris/Scythia. A great new introduction. I'm very happy with this choice by Firaxis.

That shadow looks very much like Mehmed II from Civ 4, and not unlike Suleiman in Civ 5 + Firaxis name-dropping Mehmed on the twitter feed a while back + Turkey being probably an important new market, I think make an Ottoman very likely. They also have a good tradition of being included in Civ. Also happy with this one, Ottoman Turks are one of my favorites. Also like getting Gilgamesh of Sumer back, I think he'll be very cool.

I like that they really seem to want to switch out leaders for basically every civ this time from Civ 5 (except for that darn Gandhi).

I think too, there are probably some civs out there that would work perfectly for mechanics that they aim to introduce in an expansion and so are held in reserve with that in mind. So fans of Persia, SE Asia civs, Inca, etc shouldn't be too dejected, they'll probably get their civ later on with new mechanics they are custom-made to take advantage of. I'll laugh if I get more 150 turn Persian golden ages :lol:

My biggest disappointments I think are not having Gandhi replaced by Asoka or someone, anyone, else (pipe dream :)), and I wanted Russia to have Ivan the Terrible. I'm glad they went to Peter at least though.

Biggest surprise is that this has definitely more weighting to Europe (8 I think, not sure what to make of the two Spanish portraits, a hint that multiple leaders per civ are in the works?), and Middle East/Africa (if we include Scythians it's 6, if Georgia is in its 7) and less to Asia/Americas than expected at just 3 apiece from what I'm guessing. That brings up a point, in that the Asian style is really 'East Asian', and there's not a lot of candidate civs, India really should belong with Middle East style but gets grouped in Asian for numbers balancing (in Civ 4 it had Middle East troops, and Asian architecture though).

I've paid way to much attention to this thread the last few days

And thank god for that.

New posters are making well-intentioned suggestions, but they are just making us go in circles because they haven't followed the thread.
Nunor has done an amazing job keeping the OP updated, but it would be great if he could explain some basic rules before making a suggestion:

-Perfect matches are not to be discussed.
-Alphabetical order or bust.
-Exact pic or it didn't happen.

And classify photos between:
-100% perfect match (Isabella of Portugal) - please move on.
-Close-enough matches (Philip II) - alternatives welcome.

I retract my suggestions for C5... In retrospect it pretty much has to be Alexander the Great of Macedonia.

I retract my suggestions for C5... In retrospect it pretty much has to be Alexander the Great of Macedonia.

Is this a tamar-esque joke, or are you serious? Because that picture looks nothing like Alexander, and there is no way they would release two Greek civilizations so early on.

No, ironically program keeps crashing when I try to run B5 (no, seriously, it does!), but this is what came out of C5 with relatively big blur radius:

<snip>

EDIT > After running some more tests, I think this image is a random artifact of the algorithm so I've deleted it.

Top Bottom