Altered Maps 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoiler :

European countries by 2nd largest nationality

Sweden, this is Finland. Finland, this is Sweden.

Do they hate Polish people in Norway? Are we taking their jerbs? I guess I'm going to stick to "Hi, I'm Canadian, I come in peace" when introducing myself.

Well kinda

Polish are mainly carpenters and builders and that sort of thing. (and seasonal strawberry harvesters)
So they mainly take jerbs most people probably don't want

The more redneck someone seems, the more probable he is to hate polish people
But those people probably hate the muslim immigrants more

Though I think most people are pretty tolerant

And Domen, that's India, not Ireland

That's the Indian flag, Domen. I understand Sweden/Finland (they used to be the same country 200 years ago), but I don't get why the Turks seem to be all over Central Europe and why there are so many Romanians in Spain and Italy.

Well kinda

Polish are mainly carpenters and builders and that sort of thing. (and seasonal strawberry harvesters)
So they mainly take jerbs most people probably don't want

The more redneck someone seems, the more probable he is to hate polish people
But those people probably hate the muslim immigrants more

Though I think most people are pretty tolerant

And Domen, that's India, not Ireland

Yeah, so far all Norwegians I've interacted with have been.. awesome.

But I might as well pretend that I hate strawberries.. well, actually, I do not like them that much anyhow, so my "Canadian" cover should work well.

My whole family loves strawberries.. for some reason. All other Polish people that I know seem to love them too. I have no idea why I dislike them myself - must be some sort of a psychological reason. One day I'll go see a shrink about it, we'll go deep into my memories, and I'll remember everything. But until then, I'm staying clear..

IIRC my two cousins were also working in Norway but I'm not sure what were they doing there.

Here in Poland they have a family business (or rather their father has a firm, they just work for him).

I guess they were harvesting strawberries. Salary for harvesting Norwegian strawberries is probably high.

That's the Indian flag, Domen.

Ouch, that was so obvious.

I'm not sure why I thought those were Irish Travellers. Irish colors + "Gypsy-like" wheel. :)

Perhaps because India is so far away from Britain.

But then I realized so many Indians are there because India used to be a British colony.

Well I don't know what's wrong with you, Strawberries are awesome :p

For what's it worth, the climate here allegedly makes norwegian strawberries sweeter (and therefore better) than most internationally traded strawberries (often grown in sub-tropical climates like Portugal, apparantly), so you might want to try some if you find them (make sure they're norwegian, though)

My point was that for harvesting strawberries in Norway one will get enormously more money than for harvesting strawberries in Poland. Actually harvesting strawberies in Norway is perhaps better-paying than some of "white collar jobs" in Poland, given what salaries you have since the discovery of juicy oil fields in the North Sea. Of course costs of living in Norway are also much higher, but people can take their chance and go on a strict diet while working in Norway.

And then they return with a bag full of money.

Sorry, I was actually directing that at Warpus

I really don't know how many polish are in the strawberry business, but most of those only come here during harvesting season, and spend most of the time in Poland, I think

However, it is like carpenting that is the most common job polish people have here, I think

I am up for trying all sorts of local Norwegian foods, even strawberries.. When I travel, I put myself out of my element. It leads me to interesting experiences, so.. who knows what will happen when I bite into that Norwegian strawberry? Maybe some cute Norwegian girl is going to chat me up and help me out when I squirt strawberry nectar all over my shirt? We'll go back to her place and eventually get married? I'll stay in Norway and start picking strawberries for a living? I'll start a Polish strawberry pickers political party and get elected into office? Who knows! Anything's possible when you open yourself up to new experiences.

I really don't know how many polish are in the strawberry business, but most of those only come here during harvesting season, and spend most of the time in Poland, I think

Mushroom and strawberry and other berry picking seem to be "very Polish activities" (tm). At least from my experience. Nearly every Polish family I know of enjoys the great outdoors, as well as related activities, such as ____ picking. I think it might be in part because due to our recent communist past; we love a good deal, and picking things off trees is usually cheap or free. But that sounds racist almost, so let's go with: "We have a proud stuff picking tradition"

Anyhow, here's an unrelated map that I find quite interesting: Accessibility in the late 1950s

Potato quality above. Strawberry quality here.

I was thinking that most of Polish carpenters prefer to work in Germany.

But they mostly go there for few days, do their contract work, and come back.

Perhaps those groups who go to Norway, stay there for longer work seasons.

Are they "independent carpenters", or entire companies of carpenters?

Are they "independent carpenters", or entire companies of carpenters?

I think both situations occur. Many work in the black market, but many also work in like traded companies.

And these carpenters are mostly immigrants. Some of them maybe move back to Poland at some point, but most stay, I think

I had a polish kid in my class around 5th-7th grade

And these carpenters are mostly immigrants. Some of them maybe move back to Poland at some point, but most stay, I think

So why do you think are people of just one profession so overrepresented among immigrants in Norway?

It is not like carpenters are so overrepresented in Poland itself. A profession like any other, not so terribly popular.

Your post #68 sounded like you really believed that 40% (or something like this) of the population of Poland are carpenters.

For some reason you are getting mostly carpenters from us, and this reason is NOT because we have "tons" of carpenters... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom