Altered Maps 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the French Revolution went horribly wrong?

made in 1793 by a guy called William Playfair who didn't like the revolution
apparantly he kinda revolutionised how to present graphical data, including maps

Just thought I'd point out that either of these maps are missing hundreds of tribes. The rest of maps aren't too great either. I had the pleasure of being a volunteer researcher at an Inuit art museum nearly a decade ago and became very familiar with all things indigenous. The really sore spots on the maps surround the Great Lakes.

Anyways, I don't know if this was done purposely. I am just sayin'.

Altered may be stretching it, but a map of stuff at 550 BC :)

Notice the leased/given territory in Egypt (town of Naucratis), for purposes of organizing greek-egyptian trade. Iirc that town was founded by a very large number of different greek politiai, so as to allow for common control of it by all trading sides.

Sounds like a second Thurii.

Current Cadiz should be Gadir in 550 BC. It was not called Gades until 200 BC when Romans seized it.

In a similar vein, Emporiae, Citium and Icosium appear to have Latinate spellings, let alone any Greek name which is spelt with a C rather than a K.

Russia blasts off into the stars above, where there is nothing above, but the stars, above.

Haha

I didn't make that map, I just thought it was funny and some people here would find it amusing. Maybe it was made by a German. Or maybe a patriotic Russian guy who thinks that the next stage of communism is an underwater one and that Russians have evolved into mermen and mermaids and now live underwater.

The Russian Baltic coast still exists 0/10 most botched erasure from the historical record.

So, Russia is not missing. It's been compacted.

Hey, I still remember the inverse mermaids fad from a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom