• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Altered Maps 2: Uber-Yugoslavia FTW

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is problematic to refer to very different things by the same name, but that is all the more i will say on the matter, since my words are not backed up by altered maps.
I am not saying it is good, though generally it can be figured out by context, but was just explaining the way it is.

But why should culture, rather than actual geography, determine geography?

In Europe atleast, it's what makes it a continent. It is also why Poland is Central European, or if there is no Central Europe, Western European instead of Eastern Europe. (Also the fact that the middle of Europe line goes through our Eastern Border).

Map of German immigrants and Americans of German descent in 1872:

and in 2000:

And ancestry when broken down by county in the 2000 census:

and by state:

Considering that I have as much family in Massachusetts as I have in Ireland I am not surprised by the above. It is also probably why the accent is so different from the rest of the US.

New Hampshire is a surprise though, I guess it is spillover from Mass?

Incidentally, the large percentage of English descent in Utah (and Southern Idaho) is due to the efforts of LDS missionaries in the 19th Century. Back then it was customary for new converts to emigrate to Utah from wherever they were, and England was one of the main focuses of our missionary efforts.

:confused:

Cyprus is in the EU...

Culturally, historically European. For all intents and purposes, it should be owned by Greece, and if it was owned by Greece it would be even more justified in calling itself European. Please don't tell me you're one of those "people" that thinks that Cyprus is less European than Turkey, just because Turkey pissed on eastern Europe and still has some of it today.

Culturally, historically European. For all intents and purposes, it should be owned by Greece, and if it was owned by Greece it would be even more justified in calling itself European. Please don't tell me you're one of those "people" that thinks that Cyprus is less European than Turkey, just because Turkey pissed on eastern Europe and still has some of it today.
Have my babies. :love:

People who are from families who are literally for centuries already living in America? :confused:

Like "American Indian"? Or maybe like the English in New England or the French Canadians in Maine.

I mean, your answer is probably right but it just means they didn't understand the question. My ancestors have been here a long time but I still know where they were before that.

In the post I was originally quoting, Mad Man 2.0 stated that Greenland would not have been allowed to join the EU if it hadn't been a part of Denmark, since it's not European geographically. To that, I replied that Cyprus, an independent country also not on the European continent, was also allowed to join the EU, which means that Mad Man 2.0 was wrong.

And whether Cyprus is more or less European than Turkey, I'd say that it depends. Geographically speaking, Turkey is certainly more European than Cyprus - 5% of Turkey is geographically in Europe, while 0% of Cyprus is. Culturally, you're right that Cyprus is more European than Turkey (although I don't think you can really define what European culture is).

Bloody Greeks, we should put them in a boat and send it across the atlantic, then sink it halfway.

@Godwynn's map: Rocking the Finnish ancestry in my home county. :D

@Eran: It's a trendy thing to put American. Means you don't recognize your old ancestry; you only recognize being part of America. Or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom