(Alternatives to) Donald Trump

Western civilisation is a piece of feces anyway

If he can destroy it I'm game

You think everything is a worthless piece of feces, though...

When Trump loses, between him and Sanders I think it'll aptly display that there is an entrenched political insurgency in the US, but the truth of the matter is that it's not big enough to carry itself nationally as a legit force. The establishment is still the heavyweight. In that regard, alternatives to Trump are mostly the same-old same-old.

How isn't it? Adding the establishment votes doesn't seem to be numerically superior to the anti-establishment ones. And this can't change with the downright farcical choice between Trump and Hillary, even if Hill wins (which may well not happen at all, cause she is a terrible choice from the *supposedly* saner party, showing itself to be every bit establishment nepotist-tied as the gop with Bush III). Both choices are terrible, and you are nearing a national election with both candidates being terrible choices. You already lost.

I mean, you can have a creep elected to position x if you manage to have said creep running against a literal dog, but in the end of the day no one will view the result as validated enough.

How do we construct an alternative that addresses popular concerns while not doing any of the following five things?

1. Serving as a platform for prejudice and xenophobia like the current right-wing populists.
2. Falling into known left-wing failure modes like the Latin American leftists.
3. Undermining the democratic process, like both #1 and #2.
4. Crumbling under pressure and agreeing to implement the same unpopular things that the 'normal' politicians support, like Syriza.
5. Perpetually getting only a few percent of the vote and never appealing to enough people to matter, like most parties and intra-party movements who pass the above four criteria.

Mimic Norway and the other Scandinavian countries. :yup:

I'm a neocon who is going to be voting for Clinton this year and hoping Paul Ryan, Susana Martinez, or SOMEONE good gets the GOP nomination in 2020.
Susana is not a good choice for anything.

It's really a pretty sad state of affairs, I've never been much of a fan of the modern-day GOP since I've been aware enough to follow international politics, but to see one of the two largest parties in one of the most populous representational democracies reduced to this... they used to be able to stand up some candidates who at least gave the impression of being okay people, what the hell happened?

I mean, Abe Lincoln's gotta be spinning in his grave.

It's really a pretty sad state of affairs, I've never been much of a fan of the modern-day GOP since I've been aware enough to follow international politics, but to see one of the two largest parties in one of the most populous representational democracies reduced to this... they used to be able to stand up some candidates who at least gave the impression of being okay people, what the hell happened?

The bankruptcy of their policies caught up to them. They have not been able to run on policy with any chance of winning in several election cycles, so they run on outrage and trickery. Trump is the inevitable end of that road. He is better at generating the outrage than any of their traditional candidates.

Alternatives to Donald Trump:

Donald Duck
A potato
Maybe a taco

Cant we have Obama for a third term ?
We'd have the benefit of Republicans dying of massive heart attacks and brain explosions. hopefully what is left are the more sane Lincoln log cabin conservatives.

Alternatives to Donald Trump:

Donald Duck
A potato
Maybe a taco

I'll add in my list:

A Turd Sandwich
A paper shredder
Dolan Duck ("Gooby Plz")
Dovahkiin

Cant we have Obama for a third term?

I may be a Democrat, but I wholly disprove of his handling of the economy overall and I don't want to see him as a third term president (and will not vote for him if he was on the ballot). And yes, I do have voter's regret for voting for him twice...

I may be a Democrat, but I wholly disprove of his handling of the economy overall and I don't want to see him as a third term president (and will not vote for him if he was on the ballot). And yes, I do have voter's regret for voting for him twice...

Given the turdnado he was handed I think he has done better than could have been expected, though I understand he has not lived up to the lofty expectations he created. I am spared half the voter's regret since I supported MCCain. The other half I just don't regret. Until we get a democratic party president and congress nothing is going to drown out the consequences of Republican economic policy, since it only takes one house of congress to keep it in place.

Top Bottom