Ann Coulter cancels Berkeley appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
Ann Coulter said Wednesday that she is canceling her planned speech at the University of California, Berkeley...

[snip]

Berkeley has become a meeting ground for what the city’s chief of police, Andrew Greenwood, has described as politically motivated groups “armed and prepared to fight.”

Outside groups representing the far left and far right have clashed in the city several times over the past few months in a fight club atmosphere that university administrators say they have not seen in many years, if ever. During the most recent clash, on April 15, the police arrested 20 people. But Chief Greenwood warned of the difficulties and dangers of intervening in future clashes.

[snip]

...the issue has split the left, where Ms. Coulter found unlikely defenders among people like Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, who scolded those who tried to block the speech.

“What are you afraid of — her ideas?” Mr. Sanders said earlier this week in an interview with The Huffington Post.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/an...erkeley/ar-BBAp76t?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

I'm not an Ann Coulter fan but have to agree that those threatening violence at her speaking event appear to give liberalism a bad name.

The people threatening violence at her speaking events aren't liberals.

In some senses, that is probably true. In others maybe not. The political terms typically used to label beliefs and behaviors can obviously be very ambiguous. Technically most of the political parties and attitudes of the majority of Americans are rooted in what would be called the "liberal tradition" in politics. Most of us seem to at least pay lip service to some form of liberty, equality, toleration or other liberal principles to varying degrees. What would you call the people threatening violence in order to shut down Republican speakers?

What would you call the people threatening violence in order to shut down Republican speakers?

They are probably anarchists and/or communists. They would probably be quite offended if you called them liberals, in fact, which is fairly ironic.

Of course, since I believe it would be a good thing if Ann Coulter were to drop dead of a brain aneurysm I'm not going to excite myself that some people stopped her from speaking somewhere.

Moderator Action: The warning in post #14 applies here too. ~ Arakhor
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
They are probably anarchists and/or communists. They would probably be quite offended if you called them liberals, in fact, which is fairly ironic.

Of course, since I believe it would be a good thing if Ann Coulter were to drop dead of a brain aneurysm I'm not going to excite myself that some people stopped her from speaking somewhere.

Fair enough. Though I'm not sure what is offensive about being called "liberal". Generally it means a person believes in things like liberty, toleration, equality and other such laudable things. Regarding Coulter, I think Coulter is probably mistaken in some of her views but I wouldn't go so far as to wish a violent death on her.

Warned for inappropriate behaviour
Fair enough. Though I'm not sure what is offensive about being called "liberal". Generally it means a person believes in things like liberty, toleration, equality and other such laudable things. Regarding Coulter, I think Coulter is probably mistaken in some of her views but I wouldn't go so far as to wish a violent death on her.

Drop dead of a brain aneurysm isn't a violent death. Beaten to death in an alley by people she has intentionally offended because she thought they could never get to her would be a violent death. Note that I am not wishing either upon her, though I think that either one would make the world a better place overall.

Moderator Action: This is certainly not acceptable. Discussing someone's violent death and advocating for the same are far too close acquaintances to be considered appropriate for CFC. ~ Arakhor
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

In my mind, once you start threatening violence to shut down speech you cease being an anarchist.

Though I'm not sure what is offensive about being called "liberal". Generally it means a person believes in things like liberty, toleration, equality and other such laudable things.

Leftists tend not to like it, for reasons that I won't go into here.

Drop dead of a brain aneurysm isn't a violent death. Beaten to death in an alley by people she has intentionally offended because she thought they could never get to her would be a violent death. Note that I am not wishing either upon her, though I think that either one would make the world a better place overall.

Point taken. I guess I should have said wishing death on someone because of what they say doesn't sound like a very good thing.

Warned for inappropriate behaviour
You don't have to apologize, I don't believe liberalism and leftist are necessarily mutually exclusive.

Maybe I should have said that threatening violence at Coulter's speaking event appears to give the "left" a bad name.

This is probably true. OTOH I essentially agree with the sentiment "death to Nazis" and Ann Coulter is a Nazi, so...

Moderator Action: Publicly "agreeing" with someone's death is unacceptable behaviour. CFC should not be used to sink to their level. ~ Arakhor

"I don't really like to think of it as a murder. It was terminating Tiller in the 203rd trimester"

"If I'm going to say anything about John Edwards in the future, I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assassination plot."

"We need somebody to put rat poisoning in Justice Stevens' creme brulee."

"We need to execute people like (John Walker Lindh) in order to physically intimidate liberals."

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity."

"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building."

"I think the government should be spying on all Arabs, engaging in torture as a televised spectator sport, dropping daisy cutters wantonly throughout the Middle East and sending liberals to Guantanamo."

Don't you see how problematic this is?

Don't you see that avoidance of being problematic in that way hasn't worked? Letting idiots spout nonsense has just bred 40% of the population that live in a fantasy where their every evil whim is justified in their own eyes because they have lost touch with reality.

Don't you see that avoidance of being problematic in that way hasn't worked? Letting idiots spout nonsense has just bred 40% of the population that live in a fantasy where their every evil whim is justified in their own eyes because they have lost touch with reality.
Yeah, liberals like yourself are saying crazier and crazier stuff everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom