AntiAmericanism

We need to change the saying to:

Love it or leave it and shut up.

I made this thread to try to convince people who accuse others of being "antiAmerican" that criticisms against the US can be perfectly valid. I think I failed miserably.

Not with me you haven't. I might loath many things that American governments have done throughout history. But (apart from the usual suspects on this forum) I could never be "anti-American" about the U.S. people. And that goes for a lot of us on this thread.:goodjob:

this is how i feel about America: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI
there is inappropriate language, so take caution.oh and BTW its positive, its not bashing America.

edit:anyone who lives in America should feel that way towards it.

this is how i feel about America: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI
there is inappropriate language, so take caution.oh and BTW its positive, its not bashing America.

edit:anyone who lives in America should feel that way towards it.
Really? That's what you think of the US? Amazing.

I think the ending of that video is absolute genius. The last 2 seconds. To appreciate it, you have to watch the entire thing.

The whole "because they are jealous" argument makes my heart sink every time I see it. It creates a great sense of frustration of being unable to convey what we really mean when we have a certain view on the USA.

Now here's my personal story:

I'm a Quebecois (Quebecker (gulp.. French Canadian)). My girlfriend is American, from California. We met 4 years ago or so. We debated whether we should aim for the USA, or aim for Quebec. We opted for Quebec 2 years ago. We have been living together in Montreal for one year now. She studies in college here. Her family is not necessarily super rich, so studying in California, let's say in UCLA or in San Francisco or any of the UC, that costs about 30000$ per year plus accomodations often around 1000$ per month per person. Maybe she would not even have been able to study there and do what she wants. In Montreal she pays the extra fees for foreign students and she pays about 10000$ per year. Our accomodations that we share are below 500$ for each of us. If we manage to get her some form of residency, which is quite possible, her tuition will drop to 3000$ per year...
In addition to all this. Her health was insured by her parents' insurance company, which cost them hundreds of dollars per month. Here she has to pay her own health insurance and it's a fraction of what she would have to pay in the US. It's even part of her tuition since she is a student. A cataclysm fell on her family a few months ago because their health insurance company randomly decided to drop them out for some obscure reason that I don't know. Her mom has a lot of medication to take. So maybe that had something to do with it. But now the cost of medications is really taking a toll on her family. My girlfriend also has to take some medications but she's covered here. It'd be quite expensive otherwise and I couldn't afford to pay for it just yet as I'm just trying to start my own career. Now if we moved to the USA, we'd have to get expensive insurance too? Or we can stay here and get her to be a resident and she can get awesome coverage and health insurance from the government. Because here, everybody is guaranteed his health through his peers' contribution.

I love the USA. I spend many months a year there because of my situation. Rural California is beautiful. But right now, we couldn't afford to be there, and frankly, we don't really want to be there.

I should understand antiamericanism in countries where Americans tried intervene, but I have never understood european antiamericanism.

whats wrong with how i think of the US?:confused:
I thought you didn't like it, especially with recent antiMuslim sentiment.

The whole "because they are jealous" argument makes my heart sink every time I see it. It creates a great sense of frustration of being unable to convey what we really mean when we have a certain view on the USA.
I agree. It's depressing.

I thought you didn't like it, especially with recent antiMuslim sentiment.

I agree. It's depressing.
you mean american antimuslim sentiment? i never had any problem with discrimination of any sort in RL, only her eon cfc is where i find anti muslim sentiment.

America great, hell you managed to lose the Americas cup to a tiny nation of four million people, five -nil.
Pretty poor that the greatest nation in the universe cannot keep a cup that is named after it ;)
We promise not to take you on at cricket :D

I kinda just wish the United States would actually act according to its own values and principles once in a while. As far as abstractions attached to coloured cloth goes, they're really pretty nice values and principles.

I disagree, Croatia is better! :D
(then again I only spent a few days in Slovakia so maybe if you go beyond the most commonly visited areas....)

Slovakia is a gold mine, believe me. That's why so many Czechs have Slovakian wives :lol:

If they exported their young women for 1000000x the price of oil, they'd be richer than Kuwait :D

We need to change the saying to:

Love it or leave it and shut up.
If only the rest of the Europeans, Asians, and the rest of the gang that have contributed to the peopling of the US had made the colonists sign something like that upon leaving for the New World?:mischief:

What UnAmerican jerk thought of that saying, "Love it or leave it"?

If conservatives really believed that, then Prop 8 would even be on the ballot. If you don't like gay marriages, leave.
I think the whole "leave, if you don't like it" attitude is part of that segment of the American Dream where it's believed a Fresh Start is always, always possible, for anyone. (Killed a man? No problemo! Just head West! Or North, if you're black I guess.) It's how you get your Big Break. You just pull up your tent poles and head out into the great wide yonder, and lo, Jerusalem beckons!:scan:;)

I, for one, support LordRahl. I don't care if they cry about it.

Somehow, you are a bad person if you flaunt being the sole superpower. Whatever.

USA #1

Oh yea, if someone says anything otherwise (or even slightly criticizes the US for anything) they are anti-american. There, happy? Now all the anti-american wackjobs can feel justified. They're just victims of nationalism, we all know that. Waaaah.

I wasn't complaining about him flaunting anything. I challenged his assertions about the qualitative differences between America and other countries. He was talking about how all the immigrants wanted to go to America and wondered why millions don't want to go to other countries. How can that not be corrected? And his tax-raping nonsense needed addressing too.

America is a superpower, and that is fine. I don't have problems with America pointing out its large size and power. However, this isn't because of the special qualities of American government or "freedom". It is because the size of the country is scaled up by an order of magnitude. It was largely empty and easy-pickings for a huge, productive, temperate swath of the globe. That isn't to say America is terrible, either. Its government and society was good enough over the years to not end up like Brazil or Argentina, which had similar advantages. But, there are a couple of dozen other countries that are qualitatively as good, but just quantitatively scaled down.

Canada would be much more powerful too if most of our land wasn't, how shall I say, "crap" for economic/population purposes.

Top Bottom