Ask A Bulgarian

Bulgarian historians don't deny that the Byzantine-Bulgarian cultural exchange is monumental to forming the Bulgarian medieval state as we know it, as some of the greatest rulers have studied there, and many of their cultural traditions were either replicated/or even made better.

Now, a normal layperson, he'd say something around the words of "convenient punching bag".

Predictable, but wouldn't it follow that he is blind?

Predictable, but wouldn't it follow that he is blind?

I wouldn't take it too much to heart, Kyriakos. We've been taught since pre-school of the brave Khans who defended us from the attacks of the vicious Byzantine (ironically, until it turned into "the brave Czars who defended us from the attacks of the infidel Ottomans and Tatars". Time marches on, eh?). We're taught of victories like the ones of Krum, who took revenge upon Nikiphorus, who plundered our capital, and then drank wine from his skull. We're taught of the student who mastered his teacher, or Simeon, who defeated the Byzantine with their very own tactics.

It's not the people that hate you, it's just the wrong people teaching the very wrong things.

I wouldn't take it too much to heart, Kyriakos. We've been taught since pre-school of the brave Khans who defended us from the attacks of the vicious Byzantine (ironically, until it turned into "the brave Czars who defended us from the attacks of the infidel Ottomans and Tatars". Time marches on, eh?). We're taught of victories like the ones of Krum, who took revenge upon Nikiphorus, who plundered our capital, and then drank wine from his skull. We're taught of the student who mastered his teacher, or Simeon, who defeated the Byzantine with their very own tactics.

It's not the people that hate you, it's just the wrong people teaching the very wrong things.

I agree...

But i was mostly alluding to Basil II :satan:

It's wife-quality, the headache? Oh dear.

So, the Bulgarian Church. How much of an influence does it have on politcs and politicians?

It's wife-quality, the headache? Oh dear.

So, the Bulgarian Church. How much of an influence does it have on politcs and politicians?

Currently, there's something of a power vacuum inside it - the influential Patriarch Maxim died, and currently there's bickering for who gets which eparchy, and of course, who will be the next Patriarch.

Of course, it's kind of a void position, as it usually gets mired into scandals like denouncing homosexuals and the occasional pop singer that might pass by (they don't mind heavy metal singers, however, one of the few things we can agree on). And of course, there's the very very big mess of that half of the priests and metropolitans turning out to be agents.

And I've got a feeling, that someone, somewhere, as per the usual tradition, is having his fine wage from the donations of the laity, while other, lesser priests who aren't having any icons with "healing" powers are left to starve with minimal wage.

Sad.

Eparchy? I thought the Eparchs had become Patriarchs.

Eparchy? I thought the Eparchs had become Patriarchs.

Well, to use the Catholic equivalent - in essence, the Eparchs are Archbishops, that elect one among themselves, and the Patriarch is the local Pope. Mind the "local" part. As I said, by now, "Patriarch" is a void title.

Of course, don't take my word on it. I am not very knowledgeable of the ways our dear Orthodox Church works (or doesn't).

EDIT: As it turns out, it's more bloody complicated than it seems. It seems, that there's also Bishops, that can be elected into Metropolitans, which get an Eparchy, which gives them power and so on..

So since I was mentioning Disney in the other thread(s), figured I might as well ask some related questions:

What Disney movie(s)/character(s) did/do most Bulgarians tend to like, if any?

Has the abominable Disney Princess franchise (I'm talking about the commercialized stuff, not the actual movies/characters) reached Bulgaria yet?

Are Bulgarian dubs of Disney usually good, if there are any for that matter?

So since I was mentioning Disney in the other thread(s), figured I might as well ask some related questions:

What Disney movie(s)/character(s) did/do most Bulgarians tend to like, if any?

Well, you see. As surprising as it might seem, but a whole lot of the movie scenarios like Cinderella or The Little Mermaid actually exist in Bulgarian folklore, which generally means that they're very liked.

Asides from that, I guess nobody really can hate on Mulan.

Has the abominable Disney Princess franchise (I'm talking about the commercialized stuff, not the actual movies/characters) reached Bulgaria yet?

Most certainly, I'd guess. There's always Barbie dolls that are Disney Princess-themed, but I am not really knowledgeable on this topic.

Are Bulgarian dubs of Disney usually good, if there are any for that matter?

It depends. Some dubs are great, and some are cringeworthy, like the one of the newer Rapunzel or Shrek.

Speaking of dubs, a Bulgarian who's the host of Survivor was actually a voice actor in the newer Rapunzel.

In a wordier, and with 100% less polandball summary:

We, the Bulgarians, are insufferable people who like to complain and moan about the lands we lost without realising that most of these acquisitions happened a millennium ago before modern Bulgarian ethnicity was even properly forget to something resembling a, well, an ethnicity.

Well, someone from the Balkans who isn't a raving ultranationalist, it must be a miracle. (Actually most folks from the Balkans I know of aren't really that nationalist... strange.)

But seriously, though, now that I think about it - how popular is that sort of nationalism in Bulgaria at the moment (the kind folks think of when they thinks of the Balkans)? D'you think, objectively speaking, that nationalism in Bulgaria is more intense than in other Balkan countries, or not? Did I or someone else already ask something like this before?

I once did encounter a Serb who claimed that all Slavic peoples of the Balkans (including Bulgarians) are essentially the same. Probably Yugoslavist nostalgia, though you never know.

Well, someone from the Balkans who isn't a raving ultranationalist, it must be a miracle. (Actually most folks from the Balkans I know of aren't really that nationalist... strange.)

But seriously, though, now that I think about it - how popular is that sort of nationalism in Bulgaria at the moment (the kind folks think of when they thinks of the Balkans)? D'you think, objectively speaking, that nationalism in Bulgaria is more intense than in other Balkan countries, or not? Did I or someone else already ask something like this before?

Well, not really. The fact that the party and their leader that represents nationalism is also the synonym of a "bathorsehocky insane crazy jackal who shouldn't be trusted" helps even further to discredit their cause.

But I'm sure, that any Bulgarian, sometimes thinks "Hey, wouldn't it be great if Macedonia was part of Bulgaria again?" or "Maybe save the people in Besarabia, even despite they're something around 10% of the population there?". You can't just take away lands and then expect people to forget about it.

But in general, no. We have less nationalism, as current party leaders have learnt that yelling "BULGARIA ON THREEEE SEEEEAS" is Not The European Way, and instead use more "civilised" and milder slogans like "Great Integration into the European Union! Prosperity for us All!".

I once did encounter a Serb who claimed that all Slavic peoples of the Balkans (including Bulgarians) are essentially the same. Probably Yugoslavist nostalgia, though you never know.

I'm actually glad we've never had some sort of an enduring union like the Serbians did - a combination of Macedonia, Eastern Thrace and Dobrogea would end exactly the same way as the debacle in Yugoslavia did - with a lengthy visit to The Hague and a generation forever scarred.

EDIT: Aaaaand, post number 2000!

You didn't have a union because, as was right and proper, the old Empire was one single entity.

btw, you've posted 23 times in the intervening hour. Noice.

You didn't have a union because, as was right and proper, the old Empire was one single entity.

btw, you've posted 23 times in the intervening hour. Noice.

Read that as "I'm a dirty spammer with nothing better to do than spam CFC-OT, much to the annoyance to everyone else".

Is it true that :yup: means nope and :nope: means yup with Bulgarians?

Top Bottom