Ask a Soldier

-how often does a para unit actually parachute?

-how were you usually ferried around the world? (commercial flight? ship?)

-how much communication is there between units in combat?

-have you ever seen amrican units, and if so, how do you think they compared to yours?

-were there any major changes of technology in your unit, and how did they affect it's tactics/abilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgphood001
What were your impressions of the soldiers from around the world that you no doubt encountered on your tour(s) of duty?
Generally they were decent enough people and good at their job, but without exception we got the feeling that we were the best there.

what aussies and kiwis? do you guys treat each other like the rest of the countrys, or are they more like you?

I don't know if you'll consider this political, but I'll ask anyway.

My understanding is that the UK allows gays to serve. What is the general sentiment of soldiers about this? Is it a good idea, bad idea... what are your thoughts?

Also, have there been any incidents, from name-calling to violence over this? One of the arguments against gays in the US military is that it will affect morale and unit cohesion. What has your experience been?

-how often does a para unit actually parachute?

In training, a lot, but very rarely into action (with the exception of the SAS, but that's off limits)

-how were you usually ferried around the world? (commercial flight? ship?)

Normally the ships of Her Majesty's Navy did that sort of work, but when we lost our commander in the Falklands the replacement dropped into the sea by aircraft.

-how much communication is there between units in combat?

During actual combat, little (since nobody's going to be fiddling with the radio) but during missions there's quite a lot (for example, a section that has just come out of contact has to send what is known as a sitrep to their commander, who then will ask another unit (maybe AAC, or medical or something) depending on what the men said.

-have you ever seen amrican units, and if so, how do you think they compared to yours?

Not so good, but they're good enough.

-were there any major changes of technology in your unit, and how did they affect it's tactics/abilities?

Not really that I remember (which probably means there were millions that I forgot about or ignored).

what aussies and kiwis? do you guys treat each other like the rest of the countrys, or are they more like you?

When people speak English, we're more likely to chat with them, so I had good times with them (they share our jungle exercises a lot).

I don't know if you'll consider this political, but I'll ask anyway.

My understanding is that the UK allows gays to serve. What is the general sentiment of soldiers about this? Is it a good idea, bad idea... what are your thoughts?

Also, have there been any incidents, from name-calling to violence over this? One of the arguments against gays in the US military is that it will affect morale and unit cohesion. What has your experience been?

I never asked about sexuality, and everyone takes part in the mostly drunken ritual of jokes about what we did last night with Private Macdonald's mother, but I know there have been a few issues, even in 3 PARA, with that. I don't think it matters on the whole, though, since 99% of the time they keep their mouths shut about it, and if they can get into an airborne regiment then they're good enough at their job.

have you ever felt superiority or inferiority on a battle (because of the number of people, the equipment, the battlefield, etc)? how have you reacted?

which army do you believe is the most developed now? I mean, in overall, which is the "best" for you?...

When you knoe you're going to die, you're meant to surrender, but when we get involved in situations tht most people consider hopeless we have a nasty habit of escaping or winning, and when you're superior just shout 'surrender!' a lot. Either way, shoot everyone with a gun and grab everyone without one.

I think the British army is the best army in the world, just based on performance. I'm a bit biased though

When I left it was still the USSR, and there was a rumor around every other week involving wars in Russia, but I think they've given up on it now.
I guess that answers my question. Thank you

I think the British army is the best army in the world, just based on performance. I'm a bit biased though
that's absolutely understandable lol

and what's your opinion about the french army? they haven't performed very well during the IWW and the IIWW but now they've nukes though they try not to take part in any war...

Not a question but i have respect for those who fight to defend our country and our freedom.

that's absolutely understandable lol

and what's your opinion about the french army? they haven't performed very well during the IWW and the IIWW but now they've nukes though they try not to take part in any war...

Don't see much of them, but never really thought they were that good, with the exception that I have great respect for the LE.

How much emphasis does the British Army put on network-centric warfare?

It's after my time, so I have no idea. From what I know of it, which is little, it's mostly an American thing, but the concept (that when people talk to each other they work together better) is so basic that most of the world has been doing it for a long time.

I like it. If when you were at school you thought the food was good, you'll like army food.

(Tip to anyone eating field rations - get steak and potatoes by any means neccessary)

How's the food?

?

Like constipation, much?

(Though actually MRE improvements are always being researched and some recipes have improved).

A-Rations are kind of always preferred especially if it's a hot field kitchen. Exception would be for the bagged-lunch versions which are equivalent to emulating an MRE from stuff bought at a convenience store (e.g. 7-11). Just read they're sometimes called 'bag-nasties'. :lol:

"Pogie" bait ( I guess derivative of Pogue) is good if it's in the form of fine beef jerky.

Some dining facilities are top-notch. Some are crap that are just operated by law.

Flying Pig said:
Tip to anyone eating field rations - get steak and potatoes by any means neccessary

Our field rations were actually quite good! ~4400 kcal. Enough to keep you going for a while. Only drawback - you'll need 3 L water per day and preferably no action to enjoy it ;)

PS! Just national service for me though!

Do you always reload when the ammunition runs out in the magazine? Or would reloading while there's a few bullets left acceptable?

Top Bottom