1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Ask a Theologian V

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Plotinus, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

But surely, transformation, rather than uncritical adoption, is precisely what yung and everyone else means when asking such a question?

Can I take it then, that you agree that such transformed practices were and have been readily adopted by Christianity (just as with other religions) throughout its existence?

2. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

where are the shades between uncritical adoption and transformation ?
    For example:
    An old pagan traditional wisdom is that trees give strenght, and that holy trees can give the strenght to overcome diseases.
    The tradition became to have a piece of cloth or rope, some ritual to bind that piece with your sick body and attach it, hang it in that holy tree, to get better from that binding your body to the life force of that tree.
    So there were and for that matter still are trees full of mostly white pieces of cloth.
    Now.. not all holy trees were chopped to build chapels upon. There were also chapels build alongside such a tree to sanction such a tradition. The Maria statue nearby that tree.
    Maria the addition to an unchanged pagan tradition. More a blend imo than a transformation.

If you read the epistle of Gregory the Great, my feel from it is a very parental, caring attitude, avoiding polarisation and disruption in the minds of the people for the moment of change, of someone wise enough to know that a long harmonious process was better for everyone.
    What I basically read is to find pragmatical harmonious solutions for the christianising.
    Not that that always happened so. Especially when the Carolingian dynasty was challenged in its empire building with the cross, it became more the bloody sword with a cross in its wake. After the killing of the 80 year Bonifatius around 750 AD in Dokkum, the heartland of the Frisians, it became more close to a genocide in that area.

And as side story on the life force of trees, the story of Penelope testing whether the man coming in her house was indeed Odyssey (after 20 years):
    Besides the practical cleverness of Penelope, my feel on the why Odyssey build his house, and especially the most important part of his family home, the matrimonial bed, on a chopped (big) tree, was to root the marriage, the family in the earth and give it the life force of the tree.
    And as further side note: Greek philosophy, heroes and ancient Greek history does not give much room for women. The usual male warriors, trophy women and intrigues. But Odyssey is pictured differently by Homer.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  3. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

4. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Did medieval theologians really argue over how many angels could dance on the head of a pin? What was at stake for them in the answer to this question? If one person said "four" and another said "a thousand" what would that have meant to any other aspect of Christian theology? How did they think they could determine the answer to the question? What made one person's answer seem like a better answer than someone else's?

5. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Plotinus has addressed this before, but I cannot seem to find the posts.

It was not a disagreement between those who might say "four" vs "a thousand," but rather those who might say "one" vs "infinity."

"How many angels can dance on the head of a pin" was just a fanciful way of stating the question of whether spiritual beings like angels occupied any physical space at all.

It was about whether angels had physical bodies like humans which where limited to existed at a particular time and place or were completely incorporeal (maybe even omnipresent) beings like God. It was generally accepted that two physical objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time, but more controversial as to whether the presence of one spiritual being could exclude another spiritual or physical being.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  6. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Thanks. I did look at his index of previously answered questions before I asked and didn't see it there.

7. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

It doesn't seem to have been a problem which Medieval Scholastics ever really argued over, but was, rather, a rhetorical smear employed by Protestant theologians to emphasize the absurdity of Medieval Scholasticism's tendency towards obscurantism and esoteria, which itself was a major critique of the Church by Early Modern humanist reformers (e.g. Erasmus and John Colet) as well as early Protestants like Luther.

Hrothbern likes this.
  8. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

As in, do they perpetually argue over nedlesse points?

Gori the Grey and Owen Glyndwr like this.