Ask an Evangelical IV

Yes compiling and writing are not the same thing, but they sat down and decided which books would make the bible and which ones didn't. Some of the books that contradicted their own beliefs, they intentionally left out of the bible.

There were several books that didn't make the cut for the bible. They were the ones that decided which books would be in the bible and which ones did not.

Why are you 100% sure that the books they decided that would make the cut for the bible are gods word, but all other books written about Jesus and such are not?

I also don't see why you all have bypassed my point.

The Catholic church compiled the bible.

If it wasn't for the Catholic church, the bible itself wouldn't exist to begin with. More importantly than that, they ensured Christianity would be spread throughout Europe. The british would have never been Christian were it not for the Catholic missionaries converting that island, and thus, were it not for them, the British would have not been Christian when they came to the new world.

So, by effect, you (supposing you're American) probably would not have been Christian. Constantine was extremely critical to making Christianity the religion of Europe.

Wrong. If none of the Bible existed in it's current form we could still get the NT just from the writings of the Church fathers, due to their already wide use even before and "official" recognition of them.

Much of Europe was already Christian before Constantinople converted, so he wasn't instrumental in the spread of Christianity.

Much of Europe was already Christian before Constantine converted, so he wasn't instrumental in the spread of Christianity.

"Much of Europe" was already Christian in 300 AD? What sources do you have for that assertion?

Because they added their own things to the Bible, and distorted what it said.They may have had the Bible, and may have even put it together, but that doesn't do them any good whatsoever if they don't live by what it says.

What things were added to the Bible, the infallible word of God on all topics, that shouldn't have been?

Where in the Bible does it clearly describe Trinitarianism?

What things were added to the Bible, the infallible word of God on all topics, that shouldn't have been?

Things such as the Catholics saying that performing certain actions could merit someone's entrance into Heaven.The Bible does not teach that we can earn our way into Heaven.It is a Gift from God out of His Grace for us.

Also, as I have already mentioned, the way they think of Mary.She may have been Jesus' earthly mother, but she was not really the mother of God.She was just another person, and she was not divine.I think that they think too much of her, and I would feel the same way if they tried to say the something like that about me.No one is worthy of things like that except God.

Where in the Bible does it clearly describe Trinitarianism?

Jesus spoke of God sending His Son(John 3:16).That clearly indicates God the Father and God the Son.When Jesus was baptized, a Dove came down toward Him that symbolized the Holy Spirit, the Third Member of the Trinity.Jesus also spoke about The Holy Spirit coming to help His people after He left.

KoreanPresident; it sounds like you have a lot of faith in Paul

I haven no faith in Paul, but I do have Faith in the Message that he preached.Paul was just a man, but he preached "Jesus Christ and Him Crucified", and that is the only Message that can save anyone from sin.That is why I have Faith in it.

How is Mary not the Mother of God, since Jesus is God, and she's Jesus' mother?

She was only His mother on earth.God has always been, and always will be.I don't believe He has any father or mother.Mary was merely the one through whom Jesus was born.

I mean, it was an unconventional motherhood there, to be sure, but I'm not sure how you get around the title "Mother of God" being true without going Nestorian.

I mean, it was an unconventional motherhood there, to be sure, but I'm not sure how you get around the title "Mother of God" being true without going Nestorian.

She may have been His earthly mother, but Jesus existed even before He was born through her, so His existence was not because of her.She was just the one that was used to bring Him into the world.

To the evangelical community here on CFC: do you think that there are any good atheists or agnostics in this world?

I am not good, and more than likely, there are probably better people out there. I am not sure what your point is. Someone's relation to God does not determine goodness. In fact the only goodness that God looks at when it comes to humanity is Jesus. Jesus was the only human that passed the test of "being good" in God's eyes. One can be as good as they want, there is no market on it though. Jesus already cornered the market for us.

That is why there is a trinity. There are three distinct parts or aspects to it. Each can act apart on their own, but they are still one in definition. Jesus was 100% human and 100% God, but Mary can only be the mother of the humanity, not the God. God does not have a beginning nor will God have an end.

She may have been His earthly mother, but Jesus existed even before He was born through her, so His existence was not because of her.She was just the one that was used to bring Him into the world.

So would you be okay with the title "Theotokos" (literally "God-bearer", frequently translated "Mother of God")?

I think random is right if you really want to get technical about it. It does create a bizarity, since you are then saying that God created his own mother, but technically you can't really argue with it. Mary was literally the mother of Jesus, and Jesus is God, so...

I don't like the term though, it connotates too much worth on Mary, as if she were higher than the rest of us mortals.

See, the way you divide up divinity and humanity like that reeks of Nestorianism.

Never heard of the guy, and I just got used to being a gnostic. Maybe some people grasp things in the Bible that others do not? Does it really matter who is right and who is wrong?

So would you be okay with the title "Theotokos" (literally "God-bearer", frequently translated "Mother of God")?

This teaching can be taken two ways:

The CHURCH is wrong?

There is a GOD and Mary is the mother?

I could be wrong, but the scholars and historians of the 300's and 400's had as much 20/20 hindsight as I do. What do you think the people before them held? Why do you think that the church even had to make it an issue? I do not need the church doing my interpretation, do you? When Jesus said that I and my father are one, did those who hear it understand? If they did, did they re-act? I think that the religious leaders of Judaism sorta got upset and claimed that Jesus was being blasphemous. Did they know something that the disciples did not? If they did it was the law and the prophets that they had to diligently read and live by. The disciples seemed to just accept what he said and followed Jesus. Now go forward 300 years, why does the church have to make this issue dogma? There was already an estabished view. The churches seemed to have accepted that Mary was the mother of Jesus and that Jesus was God. Why did they "add" the fact that NOW Mary is the mother of God. It seems to be that this Nestor guy was just explaining things the way he saw it and in a re-actionary move the church "thought" he was wrong.

Unless you can prove to me that any of the disciples taught theotokos, I can only see it as an addition in response to Nestorius. This seems to point to the fact that the church no longer accepted the trinity as pointed out in the NT already established previously. If Mary is the Mother of God, then God would have had to leave heaven and be reborn, or Jesus is not a distinct person of the Trinity and thus nulifying the Trinity itself. Jesus is both the son of and God and human by the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit Jesus would not have been born. Without Mary, Jesus would not have been human. But no where in the Bible does it say that Mary was the mother of God.

In fact the re-actionary view against Nestorius took away Jesus' humanity and incorporated it into the divine. If there was no longer a third part of the Trinity why have a Trinity any more? Seems like they were already batting at straws trying to keep a governing authority afloat which was not the intention of the church at all. Just because the church was persistent and capable of creating a legalistic frame work that would eventually hold kings and rulers in a death grip does not make it RIGHT.

That is simple: Mary was the vessel that gave the Word his humanity. She had no effect on his divinity. Jesus was 100% man and 100% God. I also believe that from conception he had the full benefit of the Holy Spirit as well. Mary cannot ever be the mother of God, but only the fact that Jesus was God can people use the thought process that became theotokos.

An interesting side note. When God breathed into Adam the breath of life, he became a living soul. When Adam disobeyed God, it was the breath of life the soul that was lost. Humans were no longer the sons of God. It was the Holy Spirit that came again and allowed Jesus (by Mary's obedience) to be the first born Son of God. When, we as humans allow the Holy Spirit to be the guiding factor we can be the sons of God. Jesus will always have a perfect body that is in the image of God. One day those who allow the Spirit to control them will also have perfect bodies like the one Adam had that was the image of God. The early church did understand Mary's importance in the process which was no small task in Judaism standards. But she was only human and from a human lineage. There is no need to put her above any other human at the time.

Now before any one calls me a Stoic and a Pentacostal, I will have to add the disclosure that I do not hold to either teachings if any apply. One does not have to be filled and sinless to be considered a follower of God. If one wants to have heaven on earth, then they should look into the prospect. However, the only thing that places one in the "right direction" is accepting that Jesus is the only good person that God sees and that no one can be as good as Jesus was.

The son is god, the holy ghost is god, but the son is not the holy ghost.
So if Jesus is God and Mary is the mother of Jesus, that doesn't necessarily mean she's the mother of God. ;)

Jesus spoke of God sending His Son(John 3:16).That clearly indicates God the Father and God the Son.When Jesus was baptized, a Dove came down toward Him that symbolized the Holy Spirit, the Third Member of the Trinity.Jesus also spoke about The Holy Spirit coming to help His people after He left.

You're going to have to do better than that. Where does it clearly mention all three parts of the Trinity, specifically as members of the Trinity?

Can someone explain how Jesus isn't human enough to have a motherand how it was a great sacrifice to the Father and the Son (who were one in the same) for the Son to suffer the same fate as all humans (death), even though since he wasn't really human, it shoud have been considered less of a sacrifice? I mean, ge was given a replay a few days later. It seems like not much to hang a religion on to me. What am I missing?

Does the Devil perceive a benefit to himself if he tricks someone into Hell? I mean, something beneficial, not just doing the whole "neener-neener" to God

Top Bottom