Awareness of racial slurs outside of the US

I think the author of the topic is likely to be well meaning but the practice of discussing this is horribly offensive when using the slurs themselves, and it is dense to do so.

You do realize how insulting that is to anyone who is not "white", right?

American slurs don't work here in Russia.
Don't be lazy and learn local slurs, otherwise nobody will punch you.

This made me laugh because it is so obviously true. Any nominal slur for Russians that might be used in the US, if used on an actual Russian would likely be met with "Yes? What do you want?" Our nominally Russian slurs are commonly thrown at presumed Democrats. I've been called a "red" and a "commie" and "comrade" more times than I can count. Given the disputes that you and I have had about the cold war and my own participation in said cold war I would hope you get a good laugh out of that.

How are those racial slurs, Tim? That's the problem of your ignorant reply. You are equating a political slur with a racial slur when countless ethnicities are Communists.

How are those racial slurs, Tim? That's the problem of your ignorant reply. You are equating a political slur with a racial slur when countless ethnicities are Communists.

They aren't. They are however "nominal slurs for Russians" that were commonly used in the US, which is how I described them.

By the way, I was talking to Red Elk, as most people would know since I used the quote function. If you would like to answer the questions that were directed towards you and forward the thread, that would be great.

I don't have time for scientific racism, i prefer more "Catch-all" terms; Such as: Skin-Tube, Meat-Bag, Stoopid-Human!

I think the author of the topic is likely to be well meaning but the practice of discussing this is horribly offensive when using the slurs themselves, and it is dense to do so.

You do realize how insulting that is to anyone who is not "white", right?

Bro I’m like an SJW. Like straight up no joke. Plus I myself am a brown American.

I believe the author used "racism" in broad sociological sense of this word and didn't mean biological races only.
Because there are no Jewish, Gypsy or Mexican races as well, yet slurs directed against them seem to be fitting the thread purpose.

Appreciation of context; ten points to you my Russian friend.

I believe the author used "racism" in broad sociological sense of this word and didn't mean biological races only.

There are, as Cassius himself keeps pointing out, no actual biological races so the only sensical definition of the word "racism" is the broad sociological one.

Race is distinct nonetheless from ethnicity or nationality by being physically distinguishable. However nobody here really seemed to account for that in their responses and I tend not to mind how people interpret my OPs as long as they generate a relatively on topic discussion.

Race is distinct nonetheless from ethnicity or nationality by being physically distinguishable. However nobody here really seemed to account for that in their responses and I tend not to mind how people interpret my OPs as long as they generate a relatively on topic discussion.

I think talking about "race" as distinct from ethnicity or nationality is largely a waste of time. E.g. the case of "black" Americans passing as white would seem to complicate the picture of race being purely a matter of straightforwardly distinguishable physical characteristics. In any case, in my view the essential feature of racism is the inherent difference or inferiority. The best illustrating case I can think of is the difference between religious anti-Semitism, which Jews could escape by converting and assimilating, and racial anti-Semitism, to which they were subject regardless of cultural trappings.

At any rate, racism is what creates race. Race is not a previously-existing set of self-evident characteristics that are then given outsize significance by racists.

At any rate, racism is what creates race. Race is not a previously-existing set of self-evident characteristics that are then given outsize significance by racists.

I feel like in just another thread you fought me on this point

I think talking about "race" as distinct from ethnicity or nationality is largely a waste of time. E.g. the case of "black" Americans passing as white would seem to complicate the picture of race being purely a matter of straightforwardly distinguishable physical characteristics.
None the less, we collectively imagine racial distinctions as being dictated by physical appearance. That a person of mixed race might be variously perceived as black or white or mixed race does indeed illustrate the flimsiness of racial categories when presented with a complex reality, but it doesn't change the fact that how this mixed-race person's physical qualities are interpreted by those she meet, and consequently how they percieve and treat her, is of enormous importance to that person. That is something that isn't typically true of national or ethnic identities, at least not in so immediate a way.

Last edited:
None the less, we collectively imagine racial distinctions as being dictated by physical appearance. That a person of mixed race might be variously perceived as black or white or mixed race does indeed illustrate the flimsiness of racial categories when presented with a complex reality, but it doesn't change the fact that how this mixed-race persons physical qualities are interpreted by those who meets, and consequently who they percieve and treat him, is of enormous importance to that person. That is something that isn't typically true of national or ethnic identities, at least not in so immediate a way.
It's not necessarily true for people of mixed race either. In some Latin American counties, mixed race is the standard national identity. Even the census does not differentiate between mestizos and whites, they're lumped in a same basket which is in turn separate from that of Indians (who often are mixed race themselves and look just like the mestizos). So it really has more to do with social and cultural traits than physical ones.

Top Bottom