1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Baking Cakes and Discrimination: Or, "What Would Jesus Do?"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I was more interested in the "treated as human beings" part since the policy then was to not treat black people as human beings. Whether or not Rosa Parks decided to commit premeditated bus sitting is not that interesting.

I mean, should she just have gotten to the back of the bus? No big deal, perhaps. It's just a seat.

http://time.com/4125377/rosa-parks-60-years-video/

But that doesn't change anything. It was still morally right to stand up to an unjust law especially since the alternative is to acknowledge white supremacy.

Oh btw this sounds familiar.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. Naskra

Naskra Emperor

Maybe you haven't heard that Winston Smith found a second career at Wikipedia. Rosa parks knew exactly what she was doing, and why, and that her legal backup was ready and waiting. She was not one of those dark-skinned people with famously poor impulse control.

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

The link you've posted does not support the assertion that Parks' action was premeditated. It notes correctly that she was an activist and had been active in the local NAACP chapter.

Oh

4. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Where is this going?

5. Naskra

Naskra Emperor

Keep googling and connect the dots.

6. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I've no doubt that you have solid proof it was a conspiracy that reached all the way from the Eisenhower White House to Moscow, and involved lots of Papists and northern rabble-rousing carpetbaggers

7. Naskra

Naskra Emperor

Found the Huffpo article, did you?

8. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Nope. Actions cannot be compelled. But penalties can. When the baker chooses to cause harm to innocent victims, which he made that choice because he's a worthless piece of vermin poop, it is the right of the victim to seek compensation for the harm they suffered at vermin-poop's hands.

9. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I mean it already went somewhere unsavory

10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Remind me to throw this line back at you next time you complain about how you couldn't get a job.
    The market decided it wasn't worth paying you.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  11. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Nah, just, you know, mocking you

12. Naskra

Naskra Emperor

As you have learned, you were wrong about Parks' premeditation. Don't worry about it. This happens a lot to people who know everything.

13. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

What actual damages did they suffer?

14. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

They were discriminated against. Weren't you paying attention?

15. Naskra

Naskra Emperor

None whatsoever, but they are now Heroes of the Resistance, which was whole point of the case. And the baker is a Man of Steadfast Piety.
    And the lawyers had their day in court. It was win/win/win all around. We are now suiting up for overtime.

Azem.Ocram and zxcvbob like this.
  16. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I saw a documentary within the past year (maybe it was PBS) about the bus boycott, they said Parks was chosen by the ACLU for her lighter skin than the 15 year old (Colvin) who they were considering for the legal challenge. Apparently the Emmitt Till case was the final straw for her.

17. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

18. timtofly

timtofly One Day

When people do not get their way, they are called spoiled brats. Now those who refuse them are vermin enablers? I am still missing which reference you are referring to. Because all the guy did was withhold his expertise on decorating a cake. He deferred his ability to a co-worker who was willing.

The current Colorado law does not compel one to provide a service. It does state a business cannot refuse access to the business. As long as the business can provide the service, forcing a particular person to do something against their will is going above the law. Changing the law to force people to do your will is also being a jerk, bully, and outright slavery.

I am confident that if I do not get my way, I may be offended, and discrimination may hurt my feelings for a period. I can get over it and move on with my life. If however I keep making laws to get my way all the time, I would be considered a jerk. Now the baker did not go out and change the law to allow him his rights. He stopped decorating cakes. It was a clash of wills, but we cannot take everyone's freedoms away every time we are offended.

19. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Well this is kind of game-changing information that no-one's brought up so far. So the infamous "bakery that refused to bake a gay wedding cake", actually did bake and provide a gay wedding cake?

20. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

that doesn't make sense...how could he be sued if a co-worker decorated the cake and it was sold for the wedding?