Betrayal At House on the Hill

So I missed signing up for this, which sucks, but I'll just leave you guys some advice.

If it's before the haunt, and no rooms conferring stat bonuses (chapel, gym, etc), then there's pretty much no reason to avoid opening up new rooms. You can't even die before the haunt starts. Opening rooms helps with your stats and is usually a wash for the players and the traitor (though rarely, the traitor gets trapped in the basement before anyone finds stairs, which is absolutely hilarious). So get out there and explore.

Actually, funny story: we played a game in which someone DID die to random events that took place before the haunt. First the Bite, and then an evil doll. It was amusing.

the rules actually say if you would lose more than the last rung for an attribute prehaunt, you just don't

Yeah, it's impossible to go below the lowest attribute before the haunt begins.

Edit:

Orders: OX BELLOWS WALKS SOUTH OF ENTRANCE HALL.

Oh, well, apparently we missed that part. Whoops.

Chapter 1

Our story begins as six young and brave adventurers enter the aging Nesiot Manor, in pursuit of their nebulous goals, seeking out the secrets within. Dorian Peakes, John MacArthur, November Cortes, Alice, OX BELLOWS, and Doug Crawford have all entered the magnificent Entrance Hall of the fabled manor. Resplendent in decorations from the past century, the hall acts as what will be a gateway to a fascinating tale. Busts of long dead and forgotten men, tapestries of old times, and paintings long since faded mark the halls, and ancient electrical lighting sputters to life of its own accord. The door is locked behind them, and now the only way is forward. Unfortunately, one of these six may have plans of his or her own…

Shocking clash of symbols and high pitch strings

Alice wandered down the long hallway, finding her way through dimly lit rooms to a grand staircase, beautiful in its wooden architecture and construction. She felt the railing as she rose up the steps, and found her way to the upper landing, able to look down a brief way back towards the front door and the rest of the group. As she left the steps she entered a doorway to her immediate right, and found herself in a room that had been clearly scorched by fire. This Charred Room had been devoured by flames, but within it, a small dog looked at her happily. This dog seemed friendly, at least Alice hoped it was. (Alice gets a dog! +1 Might, +1 Sanity)

John MacArthur stayed close behind Alice as she walked down the hall, but did not follow her up the stairs, choosing to instead remain at the base of the Staircase. He spent some time admiring the local décor.

Doug Crawford followed behind the others about halfway down the hallway before he was enraptured by a doorway to his left. Entering the room he found what appeared to be a series of pews arranged before a mighty organ, taking up the entire south side of the wall. The organ was a masterwork of engineering and could easily be imagined to be have been played by an operatic figure wearing a white mask. To the left of the organ he saw a mirror and was shocked to see his reflection moving of its own accord! The Doug in the mirror wrote, “THIS WILL HELP” in the fog, and handed Doug an unusual stone. Doug could sense that this smooth, ordinary looking rock will bring him good fortune in the future. (Doug gains a Lucky Stone)

Dorian Peakes, rather than following the crowd down the hall, decided instead to open the door immediately to the right of the entrance. Within he found a brightly lit kitchen, with stoves, refrigerators, and various other appliances covered in a thin layer of dust. As he entered he heard an odd noise, sounding like crying. Underneath the kitchen cabinets, he found a hiding girl, trapped and alone. Offering comforting words, Dorian encouraged her out, and promised that she would be safe. She numbly nodded and joined him as a companion. (Dorian gets a Girl! +1 Sanity, +1 Knowledge)

Ox Bellows took part in Dorian’s example, by heading to the opposite side of the Entrance Hall, and finding himself in a long corridor. This corridor was lined with statues and the remnants of statues, some of which have toppled from time and decay. While looking at the statues he began to hear a voice saying, “I’m under the floor, buried under the floor.” He immediately began looking up under the floorboards and found a weak point, and pulling it up he found a brass bell that creates a resonant clang. (Knowledge Roll succeeded). Ox added the bell to his pack, certain that it will prove useful at some point in the near future. (Ox gains Bell, +1 Sanity).

November Cortes, on the other hand, failed to move a muscle, temporarily in shock at the notion of being trapped in the dreaded Nesiot Manor

Map of the Manor

As previously stated, orders will be due before 5PM daily, unless otherwise stated

Use 2 of my movements to head to the room north of the Foyer.

Well people would scream at me if I continued going North, so I go East from where I am.

My bad.

Use 4 movement to go through the entrance hall, up the grand staircase to the upper landing, then explore the room south of the upper landing.

OXE BELLOWS keeps going south oddly ringing the bell.

Edit: last time I played, my GF got the Mirror event.... both of them. First, she got the one where she got an item. Then, later, about a turn before we the game, she got an event where she had to hand and item to her past self. Perfect.

Objects: None Girl
Tfw game literally objectifies women

I'll go to the room west of the kitchen

Chapter 2

John MacArthur doubled back down the hall to help lend aid on the ground floor. Ducking into one of the rooms off of the Foyer, he very nearly fell to an uncertain fate. He entered into a room that had collapsed to the depths below, with a gaping hole and a pit below. Thankfully, he avoided falling into the pit, sparing himself an injury. (Speed Roll Successful)

Alice, alone upstairs, exited the burned wreckage of the room with her newfound mutt into the room to the east. Here she found a lavishly laid out bedroom, with faded portraits and pictures along the walls and mantles. A few sparse other luxuries were laid out, and it became clear that this was clearly the Master Bedroom. As she searched for anything of value in the old bedspreads, she found a fancy medallion, and she could tell it offered protection against some of the house’s unfortunate effects. (Alice gains the Medallion!)

November Cortes, snapping out of her stupor, followed in Alice’s footsteps, heading up the grand staircase, but decided to turn south instead of north. When she entered the new room, she found it to be a lavish gallery with various benches and chairs, arranged so that one could view the room’s sampling of fine arts in luxury. Searching the room for anything of use, she found an old Spirit Board, which could be used to speak to the dead. (November gains Spirit Board!)

Doug, satisfied that not much more of use could be found in the Organ Room, moved through the only other door in the room. He found himself in a room with a labyrinth of books and bookshelves, containing thousands of works of literature and study. As he studied the room, he found that one book was edged out at a surprising angle. After tugging on the book, he found a secret passage to another room on the ground floor! Taking a quick peak, he discovered that the passage would lead a traveler from the Library to the Kitchen. (+1 Knowledge for ending turn in Library)

While the other members of the group were having fascinating adventures, Ox stubbornly continued ringing his bell and left the Statue Gallery to the south door. He was disappointed to find only two intersecting hallways with nothing of interest within.

Dorian Peakes had a bit less luck than the other adventurers. He left through the only other exit from the Kitchen, and despite a warning shot from John, he failed to realize his misstep before falling through the gaping hole in the Collapsed Room (Speed Check Failed; -1 Speed Damage Taken). After shaking off the injury, Dorian took stock of the room he had landed in. Multiple beds and the relative dinginess of his surroundings seemed to indicate that these were once the Servants’ Quarters for the workers of the mansion. Among the assets of one of the long departed servants, he found a dedicated Holy Symbol, which he clutched as a symbol of calm in an unsettling world. (Dorian receives a Holy Symbol, +2 Sanity)

Map of the Manor

5 Omens have taken place!

Remember, all die have 6 sides, two with a value of 0, two with a value of 1, and two with a value of 2.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
1. Entering the Collapsed Room will require a Speed check of 5+ in a successful roll. Failing results in 1-die of Physical injury. Falling through the Collapsed Room leads to the Servant’s Quarters.
2. Once per game, ending your turn in the Library will gain your character 1 Knowledge.
3. A secret passage connects the Library to the Kitchen, and can be used as a movement.

Looks like going NORTH is the only option.

ugh you chumps and your excellent luck

Use 1 movement to go to the room east of the collapsed room.

Background soon to be created :)

Character Name: John Mont
Speed: 4
Might: 2
Sanity: 3
Knowledge: 6
Items: None

Wow, we started already? Dang.

Top Bottom