Better Trade Screen

Better Trade Screen - Gathering Storm update released! 4.4

Hey man! Does this mod works with new patch? It does not works for me. I dont know if its a patch issue cause this is the first time ive tried to use this mod.
Mod does not shows up in mods screen like every other mod i use for Civ 6
The mod is compatible with the latest patch. If it is not showing up in the mod screen, you must have installed it incorrectly. Make sure the directory you are extracting to is correct. It should be: Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods

The mod is compatible with the latest patch. If it is not showing up in the mod screen, you must have installed it incorrectly. Make sure the directory you are extracting to is correct. It should be: Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods
yes, when I start a new game , it is good. I play some time , it will make some mistake. When I load a game, you must restart repeat route

Last edited:
@astog.. been thinking about some of your "LOC_?_?_" strings and how the SQL datafeed seems to refuse their persistent activities -- and it all reminded me of another (Civ5) mod that offered us a custom options screen & which had the very same problems until they found a quick solution to define these special text fields within a different code context.
I can't recall the exact trick.. but it sure worked back then.
One thing is certain though -- this is the sort of design step that should be taken within a solid SDK and compiled with specific resources. Soooo - patience might be the only way for now.

I did like that. And still does not work , while other mods works fine.
I copied Better trade screen folder. Maybe i need to get into that folder and then copy those folders to mods?

This mod is AMAZING and your documentation is phenomenal. Kudos on a job well done.

Just one thing - it gets really slow mid to late game, once there are a lot of cities on the map available for trading. I played as Rome on a Standard size map, and it lists about 100 routes in the "Available Routes" screen. That tab takes a few seconds to come up. Granted, Rome is going to have more options than usual due to its All Roads Lead to Rome trait. But even something simple like changing the sorting once again causes the few seconds of lag when it recalculates things.

I wonder if there's opportunity to optimize some of the loops in your code? Or at least cache things like route stats for the duration of a turn, to make fiddling with sorting instantaneous?

This mod is AMAZING and your documentation is phenomenal. Kudos on a job well done.

Just one thing - it gets really slow mid to late game, once there are a lot of cities on the map available for trading. I played as Rome on a Standard size map, and it lists about 100 routes in the "Available Routes" screen. That tab takes a few seconds to come up. Granted, Rome is going to have more options than usual due to its All Roads Lead to Rome trait. But even something simple like changing the sorting once again causes the few seconds of lag when it recalculates things.

I wonder if there's opportunity to optimize some of the loops in your code? Or at least cache things like route stats for the duration of a turn, to make fiddling with sorting instantaneous?
The routes info is not rebuilt in the same turn, but I'm trying some new stuff out in a private alpha. The biggest problem lies in just creating that many row instances, so currently the best way to gain performance mid/late game is to group your routes. It gives a huge performance boost, and gives nearly the same information. I will add it as a default in my next update but to just give a comparison if a complete new refresh when not grouped takes ~12 secs, when grouped the same thing takes ~2 secs.

Thanks for such a quick response! Bugger, I was hoping it was something more tackleable than a silly Fireaxis UI slowness. Sorry to have naysayed your code ;-).
By grouping, do you mean click the dropdown and pick (for example) "Origin City"? I tried that, still a lot of rows / delay. Hopefully you were talking about something else that eludes me.

Thanks for such a quick response! Bugger, I was hoping it was something more tackleable than a silly Fireaxis UI slowness. Sorry to have naysayed your code ;-).
By grouping, do you mean click the dropdown and pick (for example) "Origin City"? I tried that, still a lot of rows / delay. Hopefully you were talking about something else that eludes me.
Yeah, grouping by origin city or destination city. Another thing that can be done is filter the trade routes. The filter can also increase performance since it does not even sort the trade routes that don't pass the filter test. The next version will have an option that has collapses groups down on the list, so further reducing the number of instances needed. Additionally the new version does not sort the routes until shift is released so you can queue up sort options quickly, without waiting for each sort option to apply. But I am still looking to improving the performance of the mod.

in the modinfo file i see a reference to Scripts/BTS_Scripts.lua but that file is not present in the v3.0 zip download

(i also have the problem of localized text. no labels, just LOC_xxx text)

in the modinfo file i see a reference to Scripts/BTS_Scripts.lua but that file is not present in the v3.0 zip download

(i also have the problem of localized text. no labels, just LOC_xxx text)
I was testing something and deleted that file, but forgot to remove it from the modinfo. There isn't a BTS_Scripts.lua file anymore. As for the localized text issue, I haven't found a fix for it.

@astog.. been thinking about some of your "LOC_?_?_" strings and how the SQL datafeed seems to refuse their persistent activities -- and it all reminded me of another (Civ5) mod that offered us a custom options screen & which had the very same problems until they found a quick solution to define these special text fields within a different code context.
I can't recall the exact trick.. but it sure worked back then.
One thing is certain though -- this is the sort of design step that should be taken within a solid SDK and compiled with specific resources. Soooo - patience might be the only way for now.
There are typo's in Firaxis base code, and that makes me think someone might find a fix for this before Firaxis. I already have found 3, but none fixed that issue. I don't want to go and replace all the localized text with hardcoded strings, since it will make it too cumbersome to add languages, and is a bad coding practice.

But I am still looking to improving the performance of the mod.
I had an additional idea on this line of thought today. If constructing the UI rows is what's slow, how about a simple checkbox to limit the display to just the "Top 10" routes? (based on current sorting & filters). Seems like an easy to implement solution that would have a big impact for end users.

I’ve made some text changes by SQL for my own mod changes too, and whenever I load an autosave during a game session, the text is replaced by the original game one. That text/localization-loading issue like in BTS can be blamed to Firaxis alone.

I had an additional idea on this line of thought today. If constructing the UI rows is what's slow, how about a simple checkbox to limit the display to just the "Top 10" routes? (based on current sorting & filters). Seems like an easy to implement solution that would have a big impact for end users.
That is a good suggestion. Thanks! I'll implement that into the next update.

how about a simple checkbox to limit the display to just the "Top 10" routes?
Completely forgot, but you can actually change that in the .lua file. It is not as comfortable as a checkbox, but if you change this
Code:
local GROUP_NONE_ROUTE_SHOW_COUNT:number = 100;
to
Code:
local GROUP_NONE_ROUTE_SHOW_COUNT:number = 10;

will do the same thing as the checkbox. I will add the checkbox in the next update, but this will work till I do that.

Edit: Changed the code for the one available, and not my private alpha. Oops

Last edited:
THANK YOU for that! Will try it out. If it works, it's a godsend (in the late-game I'm playing).

It doesn't work; nothing shows up when I click on the "Create Trade Route" button.
I can hear the "click" though.
If it can help, I have exactly the same issue with the "Unit Report Screen" mod (nothing shows up when I click but I can hear the "click").
I tried the mod alone, same issue.

It doesn't work; nothing shows up when I click on the "Create Trade Route" button.
I can hear the "click" though.
If it can help, I have exactly the same issue with the "Unit Report Screen" mod (nothing shows up when I click but I can hear the "click").
I tried the mod alone, same issue.
After you click the "Create Trade Route" button, nothing should pop up. It starts the route, and you can confirm the route started by going to the "My Routes" tab.

Just updated the mod, with some bug fixes. Try it out and let me know if it still causes issues. I tested the save you gave me, and it works with this current version of the mod.

Hey, I read in other thread that the problem might be "not allowed" characters in windows folders (mostly other languages' special characters).
Is this mod can be installed in DLC folder? Or can you make it compatible for it?

Top Bottom