Brazil's UU: Pracinhas

Brasilia is the model of a new city founded from scratch to be the country's center of governance.

Thus, the Pracinhas have no reasons to be Mariners replacers.

Alright, but in practice a unit that can get from one continent to another through hostile waters filled with U-boats would benefit from embarked defense and sight. I know I'm oversimplifying their role in the Italian Campaign but Italy has a lot of coastline to deploy amphibious units and I'd expect any Brazilian force fighting abroad to be heavily tied to their navy. On the other hand the Marine is completely isolated from upgrade paths, which makes it a bad target for UU replacements.

Alright, but in practice a unit that can get from one continent to another through hostile waters filled with U-boats would benefit from embarked defense and sight. I know I'm oversimplifying their role in the Italian Campaign but Italy has a lot of coastline to deploy amphibious units and I'd expect any Brazilian force fighting abroad to be heavily tied to their navy. On the other hand the Marine is completely isolated from upgrade paths, which makes it a bad target for UU replacements.

Yes, and the Marines show up a little later.

But now that you mentioned the upgrade paths, do you guys think that an upgraded Pracinha (Mechanized Infantry) will retain its ability?

Yes, and the Marines show up a little later.

But now that you mentioned the upgrade paths, do you guys think that an upgraded Pracinha (Mechanized Infantry) will retain its ability?

I doubt it. The only UU I can think of with a similar mechanic is the Pictish Warrior which generates Faith when it beats an enemy. That ability does not stay with it when it promotes to Pikemen.

EDIT: on the other hand, several UUs have the ability to generate extra Great General points, and that stays when they are promoted.

So, I guess it's hard to say which version it would be more similar to.

Imagine what Persia could do with some Pracinhas gained from a Militaristic City-State.

edit: Winged Hussars owned by Mongolia would be pretty scary too.

Imagine what Persia could do with some Pracinhas gained from a Militaristic City-State.

edit: Winged Hussars owned by Mongolia would be pretty scary too.

Probably not as scary as Jaguars upgraded to Berserkers. (Although I think you can't get Jaguars from city states.) Or Hunnish Horse Archers upgraded to Keshiks.

Probably not as scary as Jaguars upgraded to Berserkers. (Although I think you can't get Jaguars from city states.) Or Hunnish Horse Archers upgraded to Keshiks.

The latter would just be meh since it'll just be a couple early birds. Jaguars upgraded to musketeers upgraded to FFL though...

I've just come across this topic and decided to leave my two cents on the Pracinhas special ability.

IMO the fact that winning battles contributes for a golden age is a interesting (although obscure for anyone who hasn't studied Brazilian History) reference to political consequences of the brazilian participation in WW2.

While Brazil was part of the Allies and fought against totalitarian regimes in Europe, the country itself was under the rule of a semi-fascist government. Long story short, he opposition used this to criticise Vargas' rule.

This being the main reason for the decline of the Estado Novo, which was followed by the democratic period that lasted until the 1964 coupe, a period that many consider the greatest in the history of the country, it would make sense for Firaxis to use that in the UU's ability.

It's really interesting that the devs went with this, and it shows that they wanted Brasil to make the most of this new culture/turism system.

Honestly, as long as the Civ is remotely historical, I only want fun gameplay from the UUs. I couldn't care less if they gave the Siamese the B17.

Top Bottom