Brazil's UU: Pracinhas

I liked the smoking snakes icon as well!

Does anyone know why the Pracinhas contributes toward Golden Ages (Carnival)?

I'm pleased that they tied the Pracinhas ability to the Carnival, rather than assert that the Brazilian infantry were somehow superior in combat to the contemporary infantry of other nations.
Is it more credible that wiping out enemy units makes Brazil feel festive?

A UB that bumps happiness would've made more sense to me. And I don't see any reason we can't break with tradition to have a civ with a UB and a UI and no UU.

Kinda disappointed overall with this and Assyria. Not to the point of outrage or anything, but certainly would've hoped for a different execution.

I do like the Brazilian UU synergy with its UA, after all if you want to win a cultural victory you may have to tackle down your main ideological rivals and steal their great works. The Brilliant thing is Brazil can do that while fueling their carnival.

I liked the smoking snakes icon as well!

Does anyone know why the Pracinhas contributes toward Golden Ages (Carnival)?

I think if you see Golden Age points as "national pride" rather than strictly happiness it has been until now, it makes sense, From the things I have read over the last few days the Pracinhas definitely increased the standing of Brazil as a nation.

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar ability shows up as a Social Policy in the Honor or Autocracy trees.

If there are Olympic/World Games in BNW, as is rumored, holding them might also earn you some Golden Age points.

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar ability shows up as a Social Policy in the Honor or Autocracy trees.

Yeah, Im expecting the option for warmongers to increase their tourism through military output (either from military buildings or kills)

Does this for sure replace WWII Infantry? What about replacing Marines? Given that Brazil's contribution of the Expeditionary force included naval power defending and +1 sight while embarked would come in handy.

Does this for sure replace WWII Infantry? What about replacing Marines? Given that Brazil's contribution of the Expeditionary force included naval power defending and +1 sight while embarked would come in handy.

I think its most significant contribution was through air and land. Also,aren't Marines elite, well-trained troops? That doesn't suit the Pracinhas. And since the FEB disbanded right after the WWII, I don't see why they shouldn't replace the WWII Infantry.

I think its most significant contribution was through air and land. Also,aren't Marines elite, well-trained troops? That doesn't suit the Pracinhas. And since the FEB disbanded right after the WWII, I don't see why they shouldn't replace the WWII Infantry.

Elite troops to me are ones with lots of promotions. It doesn't matter what type they are. Marines are ones that specialize in water-based combat.

Marines are no more or less elite than regular infantry (although I'm sure there is plenty of rivalry between them pretending one way or the other). Marines are just an off-shoot branch of the navy whose focus is on amphibious warfare (i.e., taking beachheads)

Edit: Should probably note that this is for the US military structure. Not sure how other countries operate. On a separate note, the base I trained on had all four branches (marines, army, airforce, navy) so there was plenty of rivalry :lol:)

These smoking reptilians certainly look Marine-like. Although Plastics also open that other Brazilian icon, Cristo Redentor :D.

Marines are no more or less elite than regular infantry (although I'm sure there is plenty of rivalry between them pretending one way or the other). Marines are just an off-shoot branch of the navy whose focus is on amphibious warfare (i.e., taking beachheads)

Edit: Should probably note that this is for the US military structure. Not sure how other countries operate. On a separate note, the base I trained on had all four branches (marines, army, airforce, navy) so there was plenty of rivalry :lol:)

Indeed, in Brazil there isn't an independent "Marines" branch. They're just the Marinha's (Navy) land combat branch. I don't think the Navy was employed in Italy in WWII, if Wikipedia is to trust:

The Brazilian Expeditionary Force or BEF (Portuguese: Força Expedicionária Brasileira, or FEB) was a force about 25,700 men and women arranged by the Army and Air Force to fight alongside the Allied forces in the Mediterranean Theatre of World War II. This air-land force fought in Italy from September 1944 to May 1945, while the Brazilian Navy as well as the Air Force also acted in the Atlantic Ocean from the middle of 1942 until the end of war.

Indeed, in Brazil there isn't an independent "Marines" branch. They're just the Marinha's (Navy) land combat branch. I don't think the Navy was employed in Italy in WWII, if Wikipedia is to trust:

The Brazilian Navy was involved in anti submarine patrols in the Atlantic Ocean, but they were not involved in the Italian campaign like the Expeditionary Force.

I love the greenish yellow hue they picked for Brazil. Also, this is probably the first genuine "hue" to appear in a discussion about Brazil here :p
Snake symbol is awesome haha
And well, Rio as capital. Hadn't expected that, really. First civilization representing a modern state that does not use it's actual capital, right? But a good choice, methinks.
As I recall it, Japan's capital is not Tokyo (and it's a modern state, if you mean states that exist nowadays).

I firmly believe Salvador was the best pick, but Rio isn't all that bad. I wonder how far down the list Brasilia is :(

As I recall it, Japan's capital is not Tokyo (and it's a modern state, if you mean states that exist nowadays).

Japan's probably a good analogy, actually -- the modern capital (Tokyo) only became capital in 1868, with Kyoto as the capital for almost 700 years before that. I'm not terribly familiar with Brazilian history, but from what people have said here it sounds like Brasilia only became the capital relatively recently (around 50 years ago?), with Rio having been a capital for a longer period of time in the past.

I'm not terribly familiar with Brazilian history, but from what people have said here it sounds like Brasilia only became the capital relatively recently (around 50 years ago?), with Rio having been a capital for a longer period of time in the past.

It's not just that Brasilia only became the capital around 50 years ago... it's that it didn't actually exist before that. :p

Top Bottom