1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Capto Iugulum: 1920 - 1939

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by EQandcivfanatic, Oct 17, 2012.

1. m.t.cicero

m.t.cicero Good Kid

To: Japan

This Proletarist revolt in your Chinese holdings may yet prove calamitous to both of our nations. We cannot help but see this as a direct result of Japan's draconian and xenophobic rule in China. While we may be willing to aid in removing this Proletarist cancer, we believe that Japan must reconsider its policies in China, if not its very presence in the north of China.

2. Nuka-sama

Nuka-sama See ya! It has been a fun decade!

OOC: ONWARDS FOR THE GLORY OF THE BEAR!

IC:

Florida, once again another year has passed. You have come no closer to conquering Jacksonia, and have only served to nourish the desert with the blood of young men. Let us end this unreasonable conflict, and come to the negotiating table as civilized people. We will listen to your request for a more equitable solution to the Colorado so that this war might end.

3. Nailix

Nailix Damn!

Signed, King Niccolo Anjou of the Kingdom of Italy.
    Signed, Beppe Accardi Prime Minister of the Social Party of Italy, Kingdom of Italy.

4. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Morrocco is supposed to be majority Catholic, or at least it was the last time EQ told me about it.

TO: World
    ON: Burgundian Colonial Possessions

Brazil cannot see the possessions of Burgundy handed over to any European power of the German bloc in good conscience. Brazil believes in the liberty of these people from European rule, and the establishment of republican governments therein. We will side with the people of Benin and Central Africa in their independence and plead with the African people under Burgundian rule to speak up now before Anton Drexler can stomp you out.

TO: Europe

The embargo you have placed on Brazil is now causing a worldwide decline in economic activity. It is obvious to everyone outside of Europe that your plans have failed and your own people have been suffering for years under slumping job markets. Drop the embargo and turn the tide of this recession before it is too late for all of us.

5. Circuit

Circuit Writing Letters

To: Empire of Japan

We are gravely concerned over the Red Army revolt in your Chinese holdings. There is no question the intent of the Red Army in conquering all of China, an extremely frightening prospect. Overlooking our past relations, we are willing to help Japan in any capacity we can to put down this dangerous revolt. Keep us informed.

6. Lokki242

Lokki242 That One Guy

To: The World
    From: High Shahansha Abdul al-Din of the Islamic Kingdom of Persia
    CC: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

Persia openly declares that any financial backers for our Oil Development project, will receive significantly reduced tariffs on Oil exports from our lands, likely around 15%. We also openly admit that our primary export is planned to be towards our friends in the United Kingdom, though we could be convinced to change our opinions.

7. christos200

christos200 Never tell me the odds

OOC: God dammit. Why did you declare war Nintz?! I did not organize the coup in my orders. In fact, I knew nothing about it. This is stupid. Every time a join as a country someone invades me for no reasons. Like Germany cares for the other allies it has and are dicatorships.

8. Circuit

Circuit Writing Letters

To: Tibet

We congratulate Tibet for their political reforms and wish them a peaceful and prosperous future. Should Tibet need any further assistance, the United Kingdom would be willing to assist.

9. christos200

OOC: Actually, ignore the last post. I will kick Germany's ass.

10. christos200

All French States go to the French Forum.

11. christos200

According to this treaty, all French nations must declare war on Germany to protect us from German Imperialism.

OOC: Nintz, it seems you managed to unite France against you.

12. Ravus_Sol

Ravus_Sol God-Emperor of Mankind

OOC: Seeing how quickly India and the Red Army got snapped up I would like to get an early post in about claiming Australia when it gains its Dominion Status in 1935. Ideas on where to join while waiting would be appreciated as I don't believe joining as New Zealand while wanting to become its independent neighbour would be fair.

13. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

OOC: Portugal is fairly quiet and out of the way, and I believe its unoccupied.

14. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

If you can prime them up for their voluntary induction into the Empire of Spain, I'll be grateful We could be good neighbors, and you could become my ally!

15. qoou

qoou Emperor

OOC: Shh. Just pretend Portugal's not there. No one needs to go digging through stats and uncover NPC Portugal's web of... stuff.

16. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

OOC: I'd remind members of the Moralist International that we have a social group to conduct business in, especially now that Brazil and Spain have elected religious leaders.

17. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Papal Encyclical of Pius X: Populorum Progressio.

~On the moral dimension of economic activity

-

Spoiler :

18. theDright

theDright King

To: Adjuuramark

Of course you support Mr. Kipling. He is one of your citizens after all. We believe that this is best resolved by the Argentine courts, but we will encourage the studio to settle with Mr. Kipling prior to this.

OOC: I don't know what kind of copyright laws exist in this timeline. With internationalism stunted, universal international copyright agreements seem like something that may not exist. But if he has an Argentine copyright or Argentina recognizes Adjuuramark copyright, well, who knows? I know that if no international copyright exists, then the film industry has been obtaining the copyright wherever it exports. Also, the rules on derivative works might be different.

To: Paraguay

We are shocked by this latest investigation by the Asuncion Post. We support Paraguayan rule-of-law above all; Argentina will do everything in our power to protect it.

To: Aztlan, Florida, Jacksonia

We suggest that Florida and Jacksonia return to the negotiations, and accept Aztlan's willingness to host such an effort. Even if this war does continue, ignoring an opportunity to achieve honorable peace should not be ignored.

To: Kabinde, World

Argentina recognizes Kabinde and will be providing an embassy forthwith.

To: Papal States

Your encyclical contains a factual error. The Argentine film industry has not rejected any foreigner's property rights. If an individual studio has not respected an Argentine copyright, or that of a state whose copyright Argentina recognizes, our court system will sort it out if private negotiation won't. How a Rosario production could not be noticed by a globally-known multimillionaire author's publishers is unknown. This instance of alleged infringement is the exception to the rule; not the rule itself.

19. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

To: Argentina

It is broadly acknowledged that this instance within the Rosario film industry has created a precedent where the right of foreigners to intellectual property over their works is no longer considered relevant to film production. As such our criticism of the Argentine Film Industries practices, and our notice that it is economically damaging by hindering the economic development of poorer nations that could benefit through the production of local works (as compared to monopolistic domination via argentine studios), is entirely accurate and entirely relevant.

If the Argentine court system corrects the precedent that has been established in favour of establishing a more moral one, this would merely be a positive step from Argentina towards the moralisation of the economic and business system which we have called for. It would not be a refutation of the reality we have pointed out.

~Pius X.

-

ooc: Read the update, it states a precedent has been established which makes it systemic rather than an isolated incident, the phrasing being "So far it seems that the precedent has been set that foreign writers have no rights to their own works in regards to the film industry of Rosario."

oh and btw for everyone else, third way economics.... tick. :p

20. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

To: Federación Internacional de Balompié (FIB), Balompié national federations of the world

Just last year, in 1931, Spain hosted an international balompié tournament of local teams, which was a moderate success given the attraction it held in many parts of the world. However, this was but a test for the true idea that was proposed years ago.

Spain will be hosting a Balompié World Cup Tournament in the year 1934, where sixteen national teams (that is, teams formed with the best players of each individual nation) will compete for the glory of winning the Álvaro Castilla Cup (named after the current FIB chairman). The sixteen teams will be separated in four groups of for national teams each, with each group playing a round-robin in each of the four host cities (Madrid, León, Seville, Valencia), and the first two teams of each group in terms of victories, ties and losses will then engage in a knockout stage.

To ensure that all continents will be fairly represented in the tournament, each continent will be represented by the following teams:
    • Africa: 3 teams
    • Asia, Oceania & Pacific: 2 teams
    • Caribbean: 2 teams
    • Europe: 4 teams (the Spanish national team will occupy one of these slots for the 1934 Balompié World Cup)
    • North & Central America: 2 teams
    • South America: 3 teams
    Of course, should any of the different continents not have enough representatives to fill all the slots given to them, these will be given to other continents.

Our suggestion is that, in each region, the different national federations negotiate the format to determine which national teams will attend the tournament. This will not be like the 1931 International Tournament, with 29 teams playing. This is intended to be something only the best may attend.

After the 1934 BWC, we will turn the control of choosing the hosts for the next Balompié World Cups to the Federación Internacional de Balompié, which will determine in a fair way which nations are the best suited for this.

Hopefully, this will be the beginning of a new glorious tradition in the field of sports, and a new way for nations to meet in peace.