Challenge: A Billion of People!

What's a chart compared to a function plot? :D

Edit: replaced the plot, it's now in millions.

Of course. I also redid the grid to make it more readable.

Great, so with one a 55 pop city, which is possible to reach, you have a staggering 375 million people. So with three of those you get 1 billion.:crazyeye:

Polynomial functions are funny, aren't they?

Seriously though, the numbers already start to get ridiculous once you're past 15 population ...

Seriously though, the numbers already start to get ridiculous once you're past 15 population ...

Because Rhye changed 2.8 into 3.2. And he did it because he counts population of the area, not just city (IRC). Is there a way to change the way civ population is counted? Like population of all cities*(1+ %ofControlledLandmass*20)?

India is harder than China but still possible. I founded 6 religions(except Judaism).

Found Takshashila, initial warrior go to tribal village near Samarkand and Siberia, have him promoted to woodsman II, then go to Beijing, attack China, capture their worker that is working on pig, that's an additional worker, extremely useful. Worker pop village on banana on southern China, go back, warrior fortify at forest hill, that chokes AI, making them build some useless archers and don't attack.

Research agriculture, Takshashila build settler at pop 2(another warrior go to Greece) - wheel - meditation & animal husbandary, settler found Lakhnau on Rice, found Hinduism there, so once its culture hit 500 we can work on spice 4E, then settle Dhaka there.

Takshashila build Stonehenge right after settler, workers mine hills first. Research priesthood - writing - fishing - sailing(you may trade with Carthage). Switch to Caste System and get 3 scientist at Takshashila, use GS to bulb Math --- Confucianism.

Lakhnau should build settler at pop 3, found Pitilnouraml, which will build Great Lighthouse & Moai. 4th settler go to Bang Makok for stone, 5th settle Hanoi, 6th Cochin, 7th Jayakarta, 8th Dhaka, 9th Mumbai.

Then build Oracle for Calendar -- Taoism and happiness. Research aesthetics - literature(for great library). Get another GP to build 1000/1700 theology. Have Lakhnau build Mausollos. When we found the fifth religion we get 12 turns of golden age.

I managed to research currency then divine rights, although unnecessary(we can trade with Mali later). Next time I'll go for civil service first.

Beijing razed by barbs. I conquered Xianggang(Hong Kong) in mid game, and settled Beijing(1e) as 11th city. Don't forget to send a spy to steal tech from Persia and one spy to Europe. Russia vassalized to me.

Beeline for biology. I think the better strategy is: 99% liberalism, sci-method, liberalism.

Anyone still doing this sick challenge?

I am trying Babylon. I found that Ninua is the best starting position for Babylon - deer, hills, a stone, not too many health problems. Research hunting - mining - archery - masonry - mysticism - pottery, build barracks and bowmen, 1 warrior go harass India, 4 bowmen go conquer Egypt. Conquer Sur, raze Jerusalem, disband Shushan, befriend with Persia first... then you can go for any victory except UHV. Anyone tried yet?

I am, sort of. I did France but haven't had time to post it yet (yeah I know I am lazy). My super city reached 50 pop and is still growing, all together I have 1,5 billion people at the moment.

You should probably take Constantinople asap, or even found it by yourself.

EDIT: Your Indian attempt didn't work out then?

I am, sort of. I did France but haven't had time to post it yet (yeah I know I am lazy). My super city reached 50 pop and is still growing, all together I have 1,5 billion people at the moment.

You should probably take Constantinople asap, or even found it by yourself.

EDIT: Your Indian attempt didn't work out then?

I mis-deleted the savefile...... orz

Good thing too, since 200 million of them are going to be taken over by America in the next few turns. I'm going to try this again in a few days - my guess is that early or mid 1700's should be possible with some better worker management. City placement could have been much better, too - Dublin and the South American cities were probably a waste of time. I think it would have been better to take out Russia and build a city or two in the Poland/Ukraine area instead.

Spoiler :
one billion greeks.jpg

Spoiler :
europe.jpg

Spoiler :
america.jpg

Founded Amiens as capital and Chartress in Ireland; Bordeaux and Marseille flipped. Took Rome and Constantinople. Killed off the Netherlands and conquered England. It could've been done signicantly faster, but I wasn't too eager to conquer Germany/Russia, so I just colonised. Oh, and I killed the Americans after they spawned.

My Empire in 1872:

Spoiler :

AI England wasn't smart enough to build up their defences after the Black Death:

Spoiler :

I got a nice event after reaching the Billion. It motivated me to grow Fort Beauharnois to 50 pop:

Spoiler :

America 1979 (600AD)

Had a good start with Philidelphia built by the English, flipped it for my capital and went on from there. The difficulty with starting late was that lots of the prime city locations were occupied by massive empires, including mega mongolia, khmer and arabia.

I tried to do this with as few cities as possible, which blew up in my face at about 800 million. I had to go and conquer India to boost up my pop which took quite a few extra turns, nice to know theres lots of time for America though.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 1,683
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 1,687
Don't count this in. I played for fun - started with China, founded Beijing - Matsuyama(built Moai) - Tokyo(with an academy)- Pyongyang, opened WB upon Japanese spawn, temporarily deleted their settler so AI won't found silly capital, then switch, flip, conquered Beijing with Great Lighthouse finished. Then it was a super easy game.

China declared independence once. Beelined to medicine & corporation.

Switched to Universal suffrage, built Kremlin to hurry productions for new cities. focused on health buildings.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
How to get images in the spoiler box?

On the manage attachments pop-up window, right-click the link to your uploaded image (this saves it to your clipboard).
Then back at the message post window, insert a spoiler.
Then within the spoiler parentheses, click the 'insert image' icon.
Then paste the url link (copied onto your clipboard from earlier) into the insert image popup box.

On the manage attachments pop-up window, right-click the link to your uploaded image (this saves it to your clipboard).
Then back at the message post window, insert a spoiler.
Then within the spoiler parentheses, click the 'insert image' icon.
Then paste the url link (copied onto your clipboard from earlier) into the insert image popup box.

Thanks!

Besides, Japanese UB: shale plant helps, not too many unhealthy. But we don't need production anyway.

Are giving Romans a shot.

Started out as Egypt to get some cities in place. Built Pi-Ramesses on the mediterranian grassland, Korinthos (had some other name, but Greek build it as Korinthos IIRC) for Greece on the marble (much better for this challenge when I take it), Arretium for myself 1N of Rome, since I would start with Rome built (jammed Mediolanum, as it stinks for this challenge) and another city 5 south of Pi-R. Sadly, the African cities were razed by barbarians long before I got there. Should have left Egytians with bronze working...

Conquered Korinthos immidiately and founded Singidunum (on the aluminum, it has great production and does not spawn for anyone), Colonia Agrippina (2W of Paris) and Pompaelo (1N of Spanish iron) for first UHV. The latter two will spawn for Spain and France (and Netherlands later), but they are worth taking back.
Then built the cities I want later on, ignoring second UHV, before letting them spawn as new civs, keeping only Arretium, Singidunum, Korinthos and Constantinopolis.
Had to burn a Greek city in Balkan because the Egyptian city gave them an extra settler, but [beeep] happens.

Aiming for 19 European/North African and two or three American cities, should be plenty for one billion if I can keep my stability floating.

By 1400 only problem is Aztecs fighting tooth and nail, denying me the viceroyalty points.

Um, I don't think starting out as another civ is kosher for this or any other challenge.:rolleyes:

Alright.

Then I'll have to try it with Mediolanum and Athens in place. It just seemed convenient to move those two cities.

Top Bottom