Civ3 1.29 beta 2

kadil said:
Thanks, I'll try that. I had accessed the screen via the F key but that didn't help.
I think the P button and the F9 key do pretty much the same thing, so if F9 didn't do it P prolly won't either :(

It does if he is using 10.3. F9 would trigger Exposé if active, and that feature usually doesn't work in fullscreen games.

F9 works fine in Panther here. I think Civ3 is pretty effective at intercepting keystrokes and preventing Panther from seeing anything the user does. There are just one or two that are allowed through, like command-shift-3.

AlanH said:
F9 works fine in Panther here. I think Civ3 is pretty effective at intercepting keystrokes and preventing Panther from seeing anything the user does. There are just one or two that are allowed through, like command-shift-3.

I'm using 10.3 and yes, F9 does work... However, the 'P' button in the on-screen interface (lower right corner) doesn't even show up ! Clearly, the palace thing went into the water.
BTW, otherwise 1.29 beta is noticeably faster than previous version. That is, turns are much faster. I'm playing on an old G4/400... so it makes a huge difference! Thanks again for your help.

kadil said:
I'm using 10.3 and yes, F9 does work... However, the 'P' button in the on-screen interface (lower right corner) doesn't even show up ! Clearly, the palace thing went into the water.
BTW, otherwise 1.29 beta is noticeably faster than previous version. That is, turns are much faster. I'm playing on an old G4/400... so it makes a huge difference! Thanks again for your help.
Very strange. Is it standard Civ, or a mod?

I have an old G4/350 ... at least that's what it was until I breathed on it. I added a Geforce 4MX video card last October and then last month I added a Gigadesigns 1 GHz CPU. Now it goes like a bat out of hell. I can thoroughly recommend this if you can raise a bit of cash. The combination is way cheaper than a new computer.

AlanH said:
Very strange. Is it standard Civ, or a mod?

I have an old G4/350 ... at least that's what it was until I breathed on it. I added a Geforce 4MX video card last October and then last month I added a Gigadesigns 1 GHz CPU. Now it goes like a bat out of hell. I can thoroughly recommend this if you can raise a bit of cash. The combination is way cheaper than a new computer.

It's standard Civ. As for the computer upgrade: I've got an old PCI graphics G4. I was thinking of getting an upgrade but those for the PCI version seem to lower the bus speed due to its peculiar architecture. As reports go, some apps profit from it. However, overall system performance is rather slower than faster! Well, if I had an AGP based Mac, I would do the same as you. Now, I guess, I'll just wait to buy a new Mac some day... maybe late this year or early next.

Not sure if this has been covered - bought Game of the Year edition which gave 1440x900 (standard 17" PowerBook res) as an option. 1.29b2 doesn't... is this going to be an option in the final version if/when it becomes available? Whilst I'm sure screen res is the least of my worries, it's a nice-to-have :)

Neil. :cool:

Check out the link near the end of this thread. There's a third party fix for supported screen resolutions that pre-empts the proposed 1.29f feature.

:thanx:

I've added it to my sig so if anyone else is having the same trouble....

Hey Brad — or whoever can answer my question — I'm running Civ III 1.21g. What exactly is this patch you did? I'm running OS 10.2.8. I've never had any problems with the game so I'm just curious. Nice to see a Mac-only subsection for Civ fanatics.

Hi :wavey:

The 1.29b2 patch makes the Mac version save files compatible wth the Windows 1.29f files. So it's possible to play the same game on Mac or Windows, and this is exploited to allow Mac players to join in the Game of the Month, Succession Games, and Succession Games of the Month.

There are a few changes in the game play in version 1.29 - I believe the tech costs have changed, and you get stack move shortcuts. I also think 1.29 is more stable, but if you are playing 1.21 with no problems that won't affect you.

AlanH said:
Hi :wavey:

The 1.29b2 patch makes the Mac version save files compatible wth the Windows 1.29f files. So it's possible to play the same game on Mac or Windows, and this is exploited to allow Mac players to join in the Game of the Month, Succession Games, and Succession Games of the Month.

There are a few changes in the game play in version 1.29 - I believe the tech costs have changed, and you get stack move shortcuts. I also think 1.29 is more stable, but if you are playing 1.21 with no problems that won't affect you.

OK, thanks, Alan.

Im in the middle of a Huge Earth map (scenario) game and when it finishes a science advance and I try to select the next one from the popup window it just kicks me out of the game. :mad:

I tried to pass the problem through a PC, chose the next tecnology, saved the game and then open it on the mac. Well this time it didn't even open :confused: and again I got kicked out....

Any suggestions?????

Thanks

Sorry for my English but its not my native language. :D

Hi, welcome.:wavey: Your English is fine :thumbsup:

Can you post a save and instructions on how to trigger the crash? That way we can see if it fails on another Mac, or if it's just your installation that's faulty.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Here are both files. Before the crash in the mac (330 bc) and the one saved in a PC that would not load in the mac (310 bc).

To trigger the crash (330 bc), after it loads, just press enter to pass to the next turn and a window will apear asking you for the next scientific advance. You can choose any one, it will freeze for a moment and then it will kick you out.

The second one dosen't even load and it kick you out.

Thanks again :confused:

Well, I downloaded them both, and they both play fine here. I run a G4 1GHz, OS 10.3.4, Civ3 Patch 1.29b2, so the only significant difference in our systems is maybe a localization change, but I suspect that would have caused crashes earlier in the game if it was going to.

I can only suggest reinstalling your Civ3. Move your Saves folder somewhere safe then delete the existing copy. You might want to delete the Civ3 prefs file in your ~/Library/Preferences/ folder as well. Install a fresh copy from the CD and patch it up to 1.29b2 again. Then move your Saves folder back into the new Civ3 folder and see if it makes any difference.

Problem solved :D

I fresh installed CIV III and the patch, loaded the save game and :mad: it crashed again.

During the installation I noted that there was a corrupt file from the charriot unit, so I copied it from the PC installation and voila! it works like a charm now.

Thanks for de advice...... :lol:

Brad, is the 1.29beta2 any indication of a revision coming for Civ 3 on the Mac? Why don't Firaxis/Atari/MacSoft produce a Mac only expansion pack that includes the new civs and (perhaps) the scenarios of PtW and Conquests?

I would certainly buy the expansion pack for sure.
Already I bought Civ 3 twice.

My first CD played to death. So I had to buy a second copy - this time The Game of the Year Edition :)

Top Bottom