1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ4 BTS v3.19 Patch

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Speaker, Jun 10, 2009.

1. muxec

muxec Prince

What's the big deal with DRM removal? If you have legal copy you can legally (except for certain territories) download a no-DVD crack. If you do not own it legally you already downloaded it. So what's the big deal?

2. DanF5771

DanF5771 Emperor

No worries, thanks a lot for the persistent support! :thumbsup:
    Can you tell us whether the devs' intentions concur with the solution of the UP = remove all non-generic modifiers to achieve the same conversion rate as the build-wealth process?

3. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Didn't you just say so yourself? (see bold)

Also, there are many people who are not aware of such cracks. Besides, downloading cracks like that is usually the fastest way to introduce nasty viruses, trojans etc. to your computer, so many people generally avoid it if it's not a pressing issue.

Thank you for the confirmation. This probably saved us whole threads worth of debating. :lol: :goodjob:

4. Woody1

Woody1 Prince

Uh-huh...
    Thanks for the clarification. :rolleyes:

5. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant The Voice in Your Head Moderator

3.19 + BUG update:

Turn 478 and still going! :goodjob:

Not sure how much farther I'm going to get though. I'm getting my butt kicked.

6. alexman

alexman King

Yes, those were the intentions, but we thought we were cleaning up the UP code... :lol:

7. el_hidalgo

el_hidalgo Prince

Do they really do that? Well Firaxis is owned by Take2, which for sure has seen better days, but the Civ franchise itself always seems to do well. I have to think the main expense in creating video games is labor, and they have essentially an army of unpaid freelancers here, which potentially reduces their costs. Lower costs means it's more feasible to support and update even an aging game. Already a lot of fan-created work has ended up in the official releases.

But in any case I can't see Civ going away any time soon, even if the company does. Someone will just buy the rights to the franchise.

8. vale

vale Mathematician

I'm not sure the code terms to use here but why wasn't the original warlords and BTS code for overflow gold changed just to multiply the gold by:

(General Production Bonuses +1)/(All Production Bonuses +1)

at the last step. By general production bonuses I mean stuff like forge (.25), bureaucracy (.50) etc while all production bonuses includes trait bonuses, resource bonues and military bonuses.

That seems like it would be a very clean change to the code that removes the exploit

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

One thing that wasn't touched on in 3.19 that I think could use a look is the capitulation mechanics. I think one of the UP's addressed it in part. Currently vassals are used in calculation of average power, but in a lot of gameplay contexts it doesn't make sense to do that. More than once I've had a situation where deleting my OWN vassal in worldbuilder allows for capitulation, but having it means my target feels it's doing well enough that it won't capitulate. Essentially, in practice it's possible to LOWER the power of the nations at war with a target and have it be MORE likely to capitulate. I think the UP just removed the "war vassals" (the ones under the master trying for caps) from consideration or something.

10. DanF5771

DanF5771 Emperor

@ alexman: Thanks very much for this clarification!!!

@ vale: That is exactly the solution of the UP:
    Code:
    [SIZE="3"]int iLostProduction = std::max(0, iOverflow - iMaxOverflow);
    iLostProduction *= getBaseYieldRateModifier(YIELD_PRODUCTION);
    iLostProduction /= std::max(1, getBaseYieldRateModifier(YIELD_PRODUCTION, getProductionModifier(eTrainUnit)));
    int iProductionGold = ((iLostProduction * GC.getDefineINT("MAXED_UNIT_GOLD_PERCENT")) / 100);[/SIZE]

11. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

So is this the absolute, unquestionably final patch for this game? I was certain it was 3.17, but looks like I was wrong...

12. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

So, when do we have 3.20 ? :p

If this is the only issue to be solved :please: it would be easy to let got a 3.19b in a few days , i guess ....

13. ZachScape

ZachScape King

Do you think they would ever add player-made content in a patch, or is that strictly for Expansion Packs?
    Like would they add LoR or RFCE, or even patch official mods to their latest version, like for RFC and FfH.

14. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

alexman: I'm glad to see that the Civ4 team has continued their efforts to provide more and more of the code for modders to be able to make their own changes. That you would release a patch at all so long after a game's release is a testament to the respect your team has for this community. Thank you for all of your hard work.

15. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

Considering the patch is already 160 MB in size, I would think that non-essential items like fan content are left to individuals to download themselves.

16. dalamb

dalamb Deity

By "leave alone" - do you mean generate nothing, or let this one building generate culture? I'd agree with the other changes you suggest. Would the Great Wall generate GE points (did it do this in Warlords?)

17. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

It generated GE, yeah.

18. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Thanks for the confirmation Alexman. :goodjob:

Now I wonder how those creating BULL will handle it. Will they accept the intents of the devs and use that code in BULL, or go with a flat, the default release is the default release plan. Anyway, at least I know BetterAI will have this updated now, with no lengthy debate.

19. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

While I'd love to see Firaxis release an "official" Legends of Revolution version (it would mean I could read LoR games in the Succession game forum - which I enjoy reading), releases cost money. And I doubt it would be in Firaxis's overall interests to do so. But here's to hoping :cheers: Also word of mouth is really useful here. Look at the Rise of Mankind mod, it has over 100,000 downloads, and unlike Fall From Heaven, which is comperably as popular, hasn't had the benifit of exposer as an official release in an expansion pack, or gotten the free media attention in various articles written up about it over time.

20. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

Paradox-developed games do the same as Stardock. It's now standard for strategy games to not have copy protection, as strategy gamers tend to have jobs (at least until recently) and are more likely to be able to afford games, so they don't pirate as much.

That's why Stardock does strat games as a corporate strategy- the piracy rates and development costs are lower.