Civ5 Confirmed Features and Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can hope.
Surely Firaxis can't be -that- dumb. I've said that before, and it seems like each time I do it turns out they are but... please don't let Firaxis be dumb enough for that to be the final tech tree.
If so, say bye-bye to Firaxis. They're already having financial issues as it is, the flop of this game will be the death of them.

So you think moving some civ4 techs into the social policy tree will be the death of Firaxis? :rolleyes: They sure will miss your $50.

Just cause' you don't want it doesn't mean other people feel the same.

Just cause' you don't want it doesn't mean other people feel the same.

Was that at me? I very much do want it :crazyeye:

I would be slightly disappointed if that is the early tech tree, but I really don't think it is. I think the "classical era" is missing a whole level (meaning probaby another 5-8 techs). The ancient era has two rows and the era after the classical has two rows, so I think it is probably safe to assume the classical would have two rows. I'd expect all ages to have at least two then. Maybe modern ages it gets spread out more but it definitely looks a bit thin, particularly since Civ games usually do a good job with providing lots of early techs.

Remember there needs to be enough techs in the early ages for you to build units, buildings, other improvements. Having only 6 in the classical as is doesn't leave much room for that, so I'm willing to bet there are more.

Edit:
As of now it looks like ancient and medieval both have 11 techs each, I'd think classical will probably end up with about that many as well.

I think people just need to realize that technologies mean different things in Civ 5 as opposed to Civ 4. Most of the 'social development' techs like Monarchy, Liberalism, Code of Laws, and divine right have been taken out because they no longer have a role. Societal development is now part of the social policy tree, which acts as a 'cultural tech tree' for your civilization.
I would also guess that the tech rate is more stable throughout the game, as the only known tech rate booster in the early game is the library. You won't be blazing through the tech tree as quickly.
Also note that beelines are difficult for a lot of the powerful growth/development techs around the middle of the tech tree, as these ones have many more prereqs than the outer ones, which tend to be focused on specific military units. As to currency being in the medieval era: That looks like a compromise, since they probably didn't want to add a second column of techs to the classical era, but obviously they couldn't squeeze currency in. This is definitely subject to change, but I honestly don't have a problem with them changing the tech tree around. Less techs doesn't equal less strategy or worse gameplay. The tech tree isn't going to break the game, as certain people seem to think.

Less techs doesn't equal less strategy or worse gameplay. The tech tree isn't going to break the game, as certain people seem to think.

That depends. Less techs means earlier units become obselete much sooner. Civ 4 has tons of units they rarely if ever get built. For example, you can skip longbows and go for muskets, you can skip muskets and wait for Rifles, skip HA and knights, etc. Obviously depends on the game but there needs to be a period between discovering something then building the unit and actually being able to use it functionally that should be filled out with techs. With quick jump in ages you may see units not getting built in favor of later units, which could lead to why have a swordmans if a maceman is right around the corner.

That's my concern, not so much the number of techs, but the fact that I like to try and "feel" every age. I play on Epic in Civ 4 to help with this and try to slow down the pace (marathon seems too easy) but even on Emperor I'm going from Axe to Rifles and pretty much skipping everything in between. I don't want this to be the case in Civ 5. IMO, every age should be equally as important or dynamic.

Well, less techs doesn't necessarily mean units will be obselete sooner: It depends as much, if not more, on the tech rates (my guess is that they'll be more 'balanced' throughout the game, as I said earlier).

That depends. Less techs means earlier units become obselete much sooner. Civ 4 has tons of units they rarely if ever get built. For example, you can skip longbows and go for muskets, you can skip muskets and wait for Rifles, skip HA and knights, etc. Obviously depends on the game but there needs to be a period between discovering something then building the unit and actually being able to use it functionally that should be filled out with techs. With quick jump in ages you may see units not getting built in favor of later units, which could lead to why have a swordmans if a maceman is right around the corner.

That's my concern, not so much the number of techs, but the fact that I like to try and "feel" every age. I play on Epic in Civ 4 to help with this and try to slow down the pace (marathon seems too easy) but even on Emperor I'm going from Axe to Rifles and pretty much skipping everything in between. I don't want this to be the case in Civ 5. IMO, every age should be equally as important or dynamic.

Yes I like to "feel" every age too, more than that I want to start building swordsmen and then actually be able to use them properly before they go obsolete.
But one thing that you don't seem to consider is that for example it doesn't need to have 4 techs in between with value of 2000 :science: each. It just as well can have 2 techs 4000 :science: each. ;)
Unfortunately this will NOT be the case, simply because there seems to be a trend of "things must happen frequently in order to keep the interest of less patient players".

So I can't see any good news in this unfortunately. :sad:

I don't get that sickfak. While it's true that stuff needs to happen, there will be more 'going on' in Civ 5 to begin with, what with social policies, more barb presence, and city state quests.

So long as the eras are all similar in length, I'll be happy. If the social policies are similar to techs and require research in a similar manner, thus lengthening the eras, I'll be more than happy. Really, I just want to enjoy my friggin' classical era in full!

Also, the idea that Roman Legions can build forts and roads in game is extremely awesome. Do we have screenshots of them yet?

My understanding of the Social Policies is that they require Culture not Beakers. So in theory they won't slow techs at all. If you're making 100 beakers it is really irrelevant what your culture is to advance to the next tech on the tree. I suppose it might depend on which hex you work if it is a some type +culture hex and not a +beaker hex. But even in that case I think most people will choose to work the +beaker hex for some type of beeline where they can gain a military advantage or be first to X Wonder or the inevitable first to "this Tech" gets a "free tech" that's in most civ games.

Unless certian Social Policy techs are prerquistes for Science techs or you need X social policy to build Y military unit. That'd be kind of neat dynamic.

But with Gold, Culture and Beakers independent (no slider) it seems like you can do all at once.

I don't get that sickfak. While it's true that stuff needs to happen, there will be more 'going on' in Civ 5 to begin with, what with social policies, more barb presence, and city state quests.

Yes... and on top of that techs will be popping out frequently to make it even more fun! Fun, fun, fun, action, action, action! Yey! :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I'll be more than happy to be wrong, but I'm not holding my breath. It's safer this way. I rather be positively surprised than disappointed.

My understanding of the Social Policies is that they require Culture not Beakers. So in theory they won't slow techs at all. If you're making 100 beakers it is really irrelevant what your culture is to advance to the next tech on the tree. I suppose it might depend on which hex you work if it is a some type +culture hex and not a +beaker hex. But even in that case I think most people will choose to work the +beaker hex for some type of beeline where they can gain a military advantage or be first to X Wonder or the inevitable first to "this Tech" gets a "free tech" that's in most civ games.

Unless certian Social Policy techs are prerquistes for Science techs or you need X social policy to build Y military unit. That'd be kind of neat dynamic.

But with Gold, Culture and Beakers independent (no slider) it seems like you can do all at once.

You can get military advantages via Social Policies as well. One Policy gives a free Great General (+25% to all nearby untis) for example. And a number of Policies have wonder-like effects, like +1:hammers: in each city, instant Golden Age.

There way to few civs available for launch. I think I'm either gonna wait for a disc version that oncludes the dlc or just include more civs. there way more important civs that need to be there but are'nt.

Umm. 18 is how many Civ 4 launched with. Now each civ means a lot more too, as the abilities are unique, as opposed to Civ 4's trait system. There are always gaps in terms of 'important civs', but Firaxis obviously couldn't justify making more civs at launch when they take up developer times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom