Mongolia 10
Netherlands 23
Ottoman Empire 17
Persia 16
Roman Empire 19
Russia 20
Siam 18
Sweden 2

I've heard that in Gods and Kings, it is theoretically possible to have zero peacetime City State Influence decay with Greece...wow. They're already a civilization that I prioritize taking out precisely because of their UA. If that is the case, what the heck am I going to do with my gold if I play as Greece in Gods and Kings? First world problems, I guess! :D

It was a tough choice for me to downvote a civilization that I had not already downvoted and that I had first hand playing knowledge of. Japan's not a horrible civ, but it was the worst civ that fit my criterion. The Zero's been picked on enough as is...I would've liked to see a UB instead of the Zero...perhaps a Factory substitute that doesn't require coal to represent the alternative materials the Japanese were forced to use during the war? I also would've liked to see a Japanese UA that could be used in peacetime, but I'm hard pressed to think of one that would be thematically and historically appropriate for the Japanese.

Besides, it's quite rare for my units to engage with anything less than full strength, unless I'm capturing a 0 HP city with a weakened melee unit, which is already an auto success. I suppose I might find Bushido more useful if I played with aerial units more often, but I digress.

well, it if it were truly an American bias their UA would involve some conditional bonus involving a surrender, haha. french surrender jokes have been done to death here in the states. but if it makes you feel better, America is long gone from this list and France is still kicking just fine.

Ironically I'm in "the states" and really dislike most stuff about France the only thing i do like is the flavor of the foreign Legion.:lol:

Aww come on people, don't knock Sweden out before Siam and Byzantium. :( The Nobel Prize deserves better than that.

Aww come on people, don't knock Sweden out before Siam and Byzantium. :( The Nobel Prize deserves better than that.

Siam is quite good, but I agree that Byzantium's continued existence is baffling. Their UA is barely playable on the highest difficulties because founding an early religion is so difficult. The cataphract is fine, but dull. If you ask me, dromons are the only thing interesting about this civ. Sweden, on the other hand, is a unique playing experience with one great UU, one flavorful UU, and a flavorful and pretty good UA.

Siam is quite good, but I agree that Byzantium's continued existence is baffling. Their UA is barely playable on the highest difficulties because founding an early religion is so difficult. The cataphract is fine, but dull. If you ask me, dromons are the only thing interesting about this civ. Sweden, on the other hand, is a unique playing experience with one great UU, one flavorful UU, and a flavorful and pretty good UA.

Siam is good but Sweden is sooooooooooooo much better. Late game the Nobel Prize is giving out more than a thousand gold's worth of free influence. Father Governs Children can't even hope to compete with that.

Arabia 21
Aztecs 19
Babylon 23
Byzantium 11
Carthage 24
China 23
England 23
Ethiopia 17
France 11
Greece 24
Inca 26
Iroquois 6
Japan 13
Korea 25
Maya 26
Mongolia 10
Netherlands 23
Ottoman Empire 17
Persia 16
Roman Empire 19
Russia 20
Siam 18
Sweden 2

Korea - I still feel this is the best science civ. Sure Babylon produces more GS's and gets the free one with writing, but I'd rather have 4 GS's with Korea in the end while generating 1500-1800 BPT than 6 GS's with Babylon and only generating 750-900 BPT, because I'll get more beakers out of Korea's 4 than Babylon's 6.

On top of that, with the turtle Ship being the strongest ship of the era and the Hwacha being able to rip through troops better than cannons while still doing decent damage to cities (without abusing the catapult to hwacha upgrades) and no sight penalty, Korea is just awesome to play.

France - I don't like how the bonus culture cuts out mid game. Sure with G&K it's easier avoid Steam Power for a longer time, but when you add in all the culture multipliers and number of cities, especially if you have a lot of puppets, that's a significant drop in CPT. Besides, I don't like how schizophrenic Napoleon is when the AI controls France.

Arabia 21
Aztecs 19
Babylon 23
Byzantium 11
Carthage 24
China 23
England 23
Ethiopia 17
France 11
Greece 24
Inca 26
Iroquois 6
Japan 13
Korea 25
Maya 26
Mongolia 11
Netherlands 23
Ottoman Empire 17
Persia 16
Roman Empire 19
Russia 20
Siam 18
Sweden 0

Sweden unique attributes don't have much synergy. UA favours peaceful game while 2UUs mean war in mid-late game. Hackas are a below average UU, there is nothing really 'great' about them. Caroleons on the other hand are pretty awesome but as a whole Sweden sounds a bit lacking. It is like car having 2 tires of a tractor & to of a bus. Anyway Sweden is still a fun civ to play as they are quite unique but I would love to have their UA or hackas tweaked or changed to make them go well along with each other.

Sweden - These guys are getting sold short, I think. Caroleans are excellent Rifleman UUs. March is an excellent promotion and getting from the start is fantastic. The Hippopotamus is still a good UU, even though I really dislike the Lancer upgrade path; hitting quite hard with a Great General and also moving the otherwise slow GGs up the line faster or into rough terrain to drop a citadel.

My favourite aggressive Citadel play is to land an embarked Danish GG, race to the target spot, and drop the Citadel. But I can't do that in the list anymore. :(

I agree on those points and personally I would prefer to see a cultural ub instead of the musketeer (its been the there UU since civ3 :cry:) but you also have to remember that this game is primarily made by/for Americans so you cant expect every thing to be totally perfect.

The Musketeer being in since Civ III is fair reason to keep it - players of past games like seeing things represented just because they were in previous games, from the Zulus to game mechanics that they felt were "left out" of vanilla (they weren't any such thing: Civ V isn't Civ IV. But it exemplifies the mindset).

If the game does have such a deep American bias and made to cater to popular viewpoints, I have to question why civilizations like Songhai and Siam got in while only a few civilizations besides the United States(one of which even has the same territory as the US) from either American continent were included while there's a colossal amount of civs from Europe/Asia.

Ask the average American if they know more about France or Panama. And Japan is a particularly big interest over here, it seems.

As for the Songhai and Siamese, this is what you get after five incarnations of a 20-year-old game when the designers' main target is players of previous incarnations of the game. Many of whom are historically more literate than the original target audience (in not a few cases because an interest in history was inspired by earlier incarnations of the game, or because of mods that added more obscure civs). The additional civs selected have become increasingly obscure as time goes on, and not because of a lack of higher-profile civs to add.

And even there there is some pandering to popular expectations: Siam is a well-recognised name in popular culture, from cats and twins to The King and I (which is sufficiently widely-recognised to have featured in an episode of Family Guy, in heavily-modified form), and most people who recognise the name know it as "the old name for Thailand". It is not, however, a name that was ever in use for the Sukothai Kingdom represented in the game - rather it was derived from the Chinese name for Ayutthaya, a later Thai capital that was never part of the Sukothai Kingdom.

Something similar was done to Khmer city names in Civ IV, which were taken from the modern Western names for specific temples on the Khmer tourist trail (in some cases regardless of whether (a) these were ever genuinely cities rather than temples, or (b) whether two names - such as Yasodhapura and Angkor Thom - actually represented the same city), and has been done with the Maya city names in Civ V (which, unlike Civ IV which used the historic Maya site names, uses the modern names).

I've heard that in Gods and Kings, it is theoretically possible to have zero peacetime City State Influence decay with Greece...wow. They're already a civilization that I prioritize taking out precisely because of their UA. If that is the case, what the heck am I going to do with my gold if I play as Greece in Gods and Kings? First world problems, I guess!

This refers to natural influence decay, which is not very significant in G&K (also, I'm not sure if it applies to trespassing, which gives a bigger hit in G&K than it did in vanilla). Any civ can maintain permanent influence at 30 without natural decay (Patronage policy giving +20 resting influence, plus pledging to protect which gives +10), which makes Siam a powerhouse but only weakens Greece relatively speaking. Add in the plethora of new ways to gain large amounts of influence, and the general tendency for net influence to increase over time by completing quests even with normal rates of influence decay, and all Greece's UA really does is make it marginally more difficult to rig elections/launch coups effectively.

Aww come on people, don't knock Sweden out before Siam and Byzantium

What possible grounds are there for knocking out Siam, especially at this stage? While it's more fun to work the UA, G&K has even made it possible to use Siam on 'auto' (as above), keeping perma-friendship with everyone and milking the benefits, for those who like that style of play. Certainly neither Sweden nor Siam should fall before Greece, and that's not a weak civ despite the now near-uselessness of the UA.

unless they put it deep in the city names, they havent let Tokyo be Edo for modernity reasons I guess. Little things like that help with authenticity but it's okay to me. i certainly dont know every historical iteration of these cities, so cultures like Songhai, Huns, and Inca are still unknown to me for such details.

Sweden unique attributes don't have much synergy. UA favours peaceful game while 2UUs mean war in mid-late game. Hackas are a below average UU, there is nothing really 'great' about them. Caroleons on the other hand are pretty awesome but as a whole Sweden sounds a bit lacking. It is like car having 2 tires of a tractor & to of a bus. Anyway Sweden is still a fun civ to play as they are quite unique but I would love to have their UA or hackas tweaked or changed to make them go well along with each other.

It's too late now, but their UA is actually extremely synergistic with their UUs, because war is one of the most reliable sources of GPs (great generals and great admirals). The Hackas help to create even more GGs. Everything considered, Sweden is a very well constructed and interesting civ.

Arabia 21
Aztecs 19
Babylon 23
Byzantium 9
Carthage 24
China 23
England 23
Ethiopia 17
France 11
Greece 24
Inca 26
Iroquois 6
Japan 13
Korea 25
Maya 26
Mongolia 11
Netherlands 23
Ottoman Empire 17
Persia 16
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 18

Well the up vote goes to Rome this time, just finished watching a documentary about Roman architecture and it was my first game of civ 5, I enjoyed that game, and that was back when they were not nearly as good or as powerful as they are now.

The down goes to Byzantium because i am currently in a game with them, and it has turned into a sogfest. they get dull fast. however i am enjoying them in a hot seat game with friends, but i say that that is due to having competent opponents.

Arabia 21
Aztecs 19
Babylon 23
Byzantium 9
Carthage 24
China 23
England 23
Ethiopia 17
France 11
Greece 24
Inca 26
Iroquois 6
Japan 11
Korea 25
Maya 27
Mongolia 11
Netherlands 23
Ottoman Empire 17
Persia 16
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 18

Playing a game with Maya at the moment and I found them exceedingly strong in what's basically ICS. The Pyramid is cheap and provides Faith and Science, which means even if you keep cities small, they contribute fairly well to the empire. And they have a cheap early defender. Once you get a religion, you can solve your happiness issues with a self-sustaining avalanche of Pagodas and Mosques.

Japan, I just don't care about civs that are war only.

Arabia 21
Aztecs 19
Babylon 23
Byzantium 9
Carthage 24
China 23
England 23
Ethiopia 17
France 11
Greece 24
Inca 26
Iroquois 6
Japan 11
Korea 25
Maya 28
Mongolia 11
Netherlands 21
Ottoman Empire 17
Persia 16
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 18

MP analysis this time :

Maya : Extra gps early on is very strong. Nice UB/UA--->most versatile mp civ.

Netherlands : Useless UA. One of the worst civ for mp games.

Arabia 21
Aztecs 19
Babylon 23
Byzantium 9
Carthage 24
China 23
England 21
Ethiopia 17
France 11
Greece 24
Inca 26
Iroquois 6
Japan 11
Korea 26
Maya 27
Mongolia 11
Netherlands 23
Ottoman Empire 17
Persia 16
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 18

England: Hate the Ocean bias. Longbows are good, the rest is 'meh'.
Korea: Still nice. :)

Arabia 21
Aztecs 19
Babylon 23
Byzantium 9
Carthage 24
China 23
England 21
Ethiopia 17
France 11
Greece 24
Inca 26
Iroquois 6
Japan 11
Korea 26
Maya 27
Mongolia 9
Netherlands 23
Ottoman Empire 18
Persia 16
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 18

AI Mongolia is terrible and they don't fit with how I play.

You can never go wrong with the Ottomans.

France - I don't like how the bonus culture cuts out mid game. Sure with G&K it's easier avoid Steam Power for a longer time, but when you add in all the culture multipliers and number of cities, especially if you have a lot of puppets, that's a significant drop in CPT.

Hmm...that's good to hear that Steam Power can be postponed longer. :D

Korea - I still feel this is the best science civ. Sure Babylon produces more GS's and gets the free one with writing, but I'd rather have 4 GS's with Korea in the end while generating 1500-1800 BPT than 6 GS's with Babylon and only generating 750-900 BPT, because I'll get more beakers out of Korea's 4 than Babylon's 6.

On top of that, with the turtle Ship being the strongest ship of the era and the Hwacha being able to rip through troops better than cannons while still doing decent damage to cities (without abusing the catapult to hwacha upgrades) and no sight penalty, Korea is just awesome to play.

This is way I love korea, they rock and cant be beat in the science department.

Arabia 21
Aztecs 17
Babylon 23
Byzantium 9
Carthage 24
China 23
England 21
Ethiopia 17
France 11
Greece 24
Inca 26
Iroquois 6
Japan 11
Korea 26
Maya 27
Mongolia 9
Netherlands 23
Ottoman Empire 18
Persia 16
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 19

siam I love the bonus to maritime cs with siam I always have a huge capitol especially when combined with other policy's, and wonders.

Aztecs I just dont really care for playing as them they dont fit my play style.

Arabia 21
Aztecs 17
Babylon 23
Byzantium 9
Carthage 24
China 23
England 21
Ethiopia 18
France 11
Greece 24
Inca 26
Iroquois 6
Japan 11
Korea 26
Maya 27
Mongolia 9
Netherlands 23
Ottoman Empire 18
Persia 14
Roman Empire 20
Russia 20
Siam 19

Gotta bump the Ethiopians. Love that there is now a true turtling Civ - for me almost always the most fun strategy.

Marking down the Persians since they are the only Civ remaining with which I haven't beat the CPU. Not sure why exactly, but now on my third try and failing again.

Top Bottom